GoNRA

First Gun Buying Experience

reading david's post, I would like to hear how your experience went buying your first gun.. where did you buy it? did it go smoothly? what type of firearm was it? if you want even rate how it went on the first time out with it..

david's post gave me an idea about 1st experiences if you old guys can remember back that far :lol:

I bought my first gun at shore shot pistol range. Great service, I also paid in full and I think I recieved it in 3-4 days. It was my kimber tactical pro II custom and it grouped excellent.. The service was great....

Bought mine used from a friend.

G26 and a MOssberg 500.

Hated the 26, so traded it for a 92Fs with Klutch.

1st new purchase was an M&P 9 FS from aimsurplus, transferred to local FFL in eDISON. aLL WENT WELL.

2ND NEW (AND LAST PURCHASE) WAS A 15-22 FROM Vinny at HUnting World and that was a very pleasant, easy experience.

I went into Shore Shot told them I wanted a Taurus 608SS8, the owner Billy looked at me and said that's

a hell of a lot of gun, sure you do not want a 4 or 6" barrel, said no sir this is what I want. Ordered it(no money down)

3 days later picked it up. $500.00 with tax and tags out the door, looking back I should have listened to Billy It's a hell of a lot of gun. Good experience, have bought many more from them over the years and will continue to until I leave this rotten state.

Bought my first firearm in Clatskanie, Oregon. Uncle Sporty's Gunshop (i think was the name). Bought a Ruger 10/22 back in 99. Can;t remember much except my military ID card was sufficient in Oregon. Man I want that bad boy back! Traded it for a set of wheels for a 78 chrysler New yorker.

I bought a sweet pre-lock 686 from a mom-and-pop sporting goods store in Milltown. I bought my second gun, a Colt 1991 Commander from them too. Not the best prices, but a super nice guy. The 686 I walked away with on the spot. The Colt I waited a month for.

Both times when I went to the Sayreville Sportsman to make sure I liked the gun, then bought it elsewhere because their customer service (and prices) suck.

I bought my Mauser from Cheyenne. I was going to buy a Mossberg 500 (same one I bought a few months later) but when I saw the Mauser, I knew I had to bring it home with me. Once I looked it over, I was out the door 15 minutes later. I have bought three firearms from them and every time it went smoothly.

Did a lot of shopping around and went back to the first place I visited which was Meltzer's. Wasn't totally sure on what I wanted but figured a 9mm. Was looking at CZs, Sigma, Glock...

Saw a nice S&W 3913. Put a deposit on to hold, went to Sunset Hill to test out the same gun and called them up on the way back. I find Meltzer's hit or miss. Some days, the guy behind the counter want to open the cases and show you everything they have. Other times, they sit on their stools watching you.

First thing I did was put Hogue grips on it. World of improvement.

SW3913.jpg

First gun was an M&P9 I bought at the Bullet Hole. Didn't really know much about the process of buying a gun at the time, and never occurred to me that NICS would be closed on Presidents day. Filled out the paper work that day and was given the option of either paying that day or when I picked it up (payed that day - no idea why). Was told they'd give me a call when NICS cleared. Tuesday passed, didn't hear anything. Called on Wed and was told I could come pick it up when I was ready. Went back on Thursday and was in and out in 5 minutes. Overall a good first gun buying experience.

I bought a sweet pre-lock 686 from a mom-and-pop sporting goods store in Milltown.

There was only one gun shop in Milltown right on Main street as far as I know. If that's the place, many of my Dad's rifles are from there. I really miss the store and the old guy that owned it, fantastic service. Very friendly. It's been gone for years now. I believe it closed because he passed away although I hope I'm incorrect about that. :(

Bought my first rifle at Rays and my first pistol at Hillsborough shooting center. Both places do not exist today. Both times were very pleasant. I bought from many places ie Bullethole, PK90, Effingers, local FFL, PA gunshows, was always a pleasant experience. Never had a bad experience YET.

Bought my first from Simon Peter in Andover. Was very hot to trot for the XD9 and everywhere I went all I heard was they would have to order it, even at Simon Peters. When my permits came in I called them to see if by chance they got one in stock, and they did. Went to pick it up, and was out the door a half hour later. Very satisfied with the service and have made many other purchases there. :D

There was only one gun shop in Milltown right on Main street as far as I know. If that's the place, many of my Dad's rifles are from there. I really miss the store and the old guy that owned it, fantastic service. Very friendly. It's been gone for years now. I believe it closed because he passed away although I hope I'm incorrect about that. :(

That's the place. The second gun I bought there I got lucky. The owner's son talked him out of retirement for a few months and I got it before he retired for good. He was a nice old-timer.

First purchase was my LR-308 AP4, next, was my Glock 21sf both from NJFG in Rahway.

That's a heck of a first gun!

Yeah, i know, although when i shot them i didn't feel they were too much. i wound up selling the .308 for a 5.56 for cost reasons. "You live and learn and then you find NJGF"

I purchased a Smith & Wesson Model 457 .45 auto loader from Bob Kislin's Sporting Goods on Route 37 in Toms River in around 1998?. Took about 10 mins, no issues. Drove over to Shore Shot, put about 20 rounds thru it and was bored. It sat in my safe for about a year. On my way to upstate NY while on route 17 I made a stop at Ramsey Outdoor. It was then, when I purchased my shiny new Marlin Model 7000 .22lr. Oh man, instant love. hahaha

I could shoot that thing for hours and never lose interest.

My first was the M&P40 at Ray's. The gun was recommended by an LEO friend, and he met me at the shop to go over the details of the gun with me. Great experience, no hassles, in and out in an hour, including shooting the breeze with the guys at the shop for a while.