hiker88

shotgun or handgun for HD

A shotgun is difficult if you don't live alone. You don't want kids getting into your guns, and I have never seen a quick access safe that would fit a legal sized shotgun. Also, if you have a girlfriend/wife, a 12 gauge shotgun has more recoil than many or most women would tolerate IMO.

That said, I have a pistol that is secure but can be accessed quickly.

AR15, XD40, 870 in that order. I wouldn't mind if it were the other way around though. It is in that order for the time being based on my level of training, experience, and confidence. I'm not totally comfortable with using the AR15 for HD though because of the known issues with over penetration (not so much in my own household, but loose liabilities hitting neighbors). For me, it would be best to have my handgun as my primary HD. Well-placed shots will get the job done, and the muzzle flash/sound won't affect me as much (which would only be amplified considering its indoors). Anybody who has had the opportunity to shoot at night and/or shoot without ear pro knows what I'm talking about.

Numerous (no kids to worry about). I think it was Col. Cooper that said (and I'm paraphrasing here), "A handgun for home defense should only be used to fight your way to the long gun."

Works for me.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

A shotgun is difficult if you don't live alone. You don't want kids getting into your guns, and I have never seen a quick access safe that would fit a legal sized shotgun. Also, if you have a girlfriend/wife, a 12 gauge shotgun has more recoil than many or most women would tolerate IMO.

That said, I have a pistol that is secure but can be accessed quickly.

My GF can empty the mossberg of 00 8 pellet reduced recoil buck, its the length of the stock which is too big for her. So I would have to learn to use an undersized stock

38Spcl DA Revolver for the weak

45ACP SA Pistol for the confident

45LC/410GA DA Revolver for the inbetween

haven't shot a 45lc/410ga revolver (taurus judge i assume) but I'm surpised that a 45 acp pistol will kick harder. I have handled one in the gun store but I was thinking that it would probably kick like a mule.

Numerous (no kids to worry about). I think it was Col. Cooper that said (and I'm paraphrasing here), "A handgun for home defense should only be used to fight your way to the long gun."

Works for me.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Bob- Absolutely agree!!!

As to the folks using an AR for the first line of defense in an urban setting...I really question that. Now, I have a tree line 50yds behind my house. If I had to secure that tree line yes I'd use an AR. Otherwise 12ga with birdshot in close quarters. Why bird shot? Minimum penetration and at close range... Nobody stands up to 1 1/8oz of shot. Remember the rule of thumb, 1" of spread per yard from a cylinder bore. It gives you a little bit more margin of error when things get crazy.

Not for anything... but I survived this long.

FS

its the length of the stock which is too big for her. So I would have to learn to use an undersized stock

If you're still looking for a short stock, try this one:

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?p ... ber=169170

I have it on my 590, and even tho I'm a bit taller than you, I don't find it any harder to shoot compared to the "normal" stock.

ETA: And to keep this on topic, handgun for me. Even tho I don't have any kids in the house, I haven't found a good way to secure a shotgun in the bedroom short of throwing dirty underwear on top of it and hoping a thief wouldn't look there :doh:

As to the folks using an AR for the first line of defense in an urban setting...I really question that. Now, I have a tree line 50yds behind my house. If I had to secure that tree line yes I'd use an AR.

I think using an AR as a primary is feasible, as long as a person has the situational awareness to understand the acceptable sectors of fire. And really, its not about an AR or handgun or shotgun for HD. In a high stress situation, I would rather a person use whatever it is that they are most comfortable using (whether its through training, growing up with that specific firearm, etc). In my case, I know I can hit a man-sized target 10/10 times in a high stress situation within the probable "justified" range (factoring in NJ laws of retreat, etc) with an AR. I couldn't say the same about my abilities with a handgun or shotgun. So, having figured out my sectors of fire; figuring out at which angles (horizontal and vertical) are safe and not safe-- and having dry run it with walk through's, I'm comfortable with using an AR for HD. I would hope others would take the time to figure out what works best for them and their home.

ETA: I still agree that an AR doesn't make the best first option, as I noted in my initial post.

As to the folks using an AR for the first line of defense in an urban setting...I really question that. Now, I have a tree line 50yds behind my house. If I had to secure that tree line yes I'd use an AR.

I think using an AR as a primary is feasible, as long as a person has the situational awareness to understand the acceptable sectors of fire. And really, its not about an AR or handgun or shotgun for HD. In a high stress situation, I would rather a person use whatever it is that they are most comfortable using (whether its through training, growing up with that specific firearm, etc). In my case, I know I can hit a man-sized target 10/10 times in a high stress situation within the probable "justified" range (factoring in NJ laws of retreat, etc) with an AR. I couldn't say the same about my abilities with a handgun or shotgun. So, having figured out my sectors of fire; figuring out at which angles (horizontal and vertical) are safe and not safe-- and having dry run it with walk through's, I'm comfortable with using an AR for HD. I would hope others would take the time to figure out what works best for them and their home.

ETA: I still agree that an AR doesn't make the best first option, as I noted in my initial post.

I know who trained you and thanks for your service.

Frank

Works for me.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Bob- Absolutely agree!!!

As to the folks using an AR for the first line of defense in an urban setting...I really question that. Now, I have a tree line 50yds behind my house. If I had to secure that tree line yes I'd use an AR. Otherwise 12ga with birdshot in close quarters. Why bird shot? Minimum penetration and at close range... Nobody stands up to 1 1/8oz of shot. Remember the rule of thumb, 1" of spread per yard from a cylinder bore. It gives you a little bit more margin of error when things get crazy.

Not for anything... but I survived this long.

FS

As far as type of shell in a 12g for HD i'm gonna have to disagree with ya Frank? If the threat is high on drugs or mentally unstable @ the time-than bird shot or anything smaller than #4 is not gonna be enough unless its "point blank"! I prefer 'Remington' OO Buck 9 pellet reduced recoil @ 1100 fps for HD or 'Lightfield' reduced recoil slugs. Within 12 yrds you could literally dismember em' with that shell and not have to worry about over penatrating. The novice shooter wouldnt even have to aim, just point. Me, im surgical with a shotgun,I wanna open your chest and see ya organs...lol

What I use is nearly irrelivant. You have to taylor your solution to you, your skill set, committed training or not, surroundings, other users etc etc. Whenever asked this question my first question is always, are the users going to actually practice with the weapon and train with it? You would probably be suprised how many times the answer is no. Many recieve the advice of a 20gauge pump shotgun.

I agree with you Shane. One can only be proficient on any tool, with good, proper training and practice.

Growing up, we had a shotgun at home that nobody has really shot... and was going by the thought that just the sound of racking the shotgun will be enough to scare an intruder. Of course, now I know that's wishfull thinking and a false sense of security.

I do practice drills with my current firearms and intend to do so consistently for any additions I will have in the near future.

This forum continues to give me valuable advise and I thank everybody for that. :clap:

My $0.02

Shotgun definitely has the stopping power but with kids around, it is very hard to secure in a fashion that makes it readily available.

Rifle again has the stopping power, but is hard to secure, and you had better be damn sure about whats behind your target as overpenetration is definitely an issue.

Handgun less stopping power but easy to secure and overpenetration risks are reduced

You need to pick the tool that fits your needs.

For my situtation I use a handgun.

2 38's for the misses

XD45 tactical for daddy

870 for big daddy!

AR locked in the safe but ready to rock and roll just in case people start biting each other in the streets.

I take the Shotgun, wife takes the Handgun. We fight our way to our son's room where she holds up and calls 911 - "There are multiple armed men in my house, please hurry!!!" I clear the house. and hopefully don't get shot. We have practiced this drill along with fire drills and discussed evacuation plans in the event of a natural emergency.

I take the Shotgun, wife takes the Handgun. We fight our way to our son's room where she holds up and calls 911 - "There are multiple armed men in my house, please hurry!!!" I clear the house. and hopefully don't get shot. We have practiced this drill along with fire drills and discussed evacuation plans in the event of a natural emergency.

Of course I don't know what your abilities are or your plan (nor do I want to know your plan for OPSEC's sake), but why risk trying to clear the rooms in the home? Seems like you have it best by hunkering down in your son's room with your wife, and letting any hostiles come to you. I don't mean to sound condescending or anything along those lines, I only bring it up because I wouldn't want anything preventable from happening if you were ever in a situation.

Of course I don't know what your abilities are or your plan (nor do I want to know your plan for OPSEC's sake), but why risk trying to clear the rooms in the home? Seems like you have it best by hunkering down in your son's room with your wife, and letting any hostiles come to you. I don't mean to sound condescending or anything along those lines, I only bring it up because I wouldn't want anything preventable from happening if you were ever in a situation.

Gotta agree on that. Think how many places a person can hide in the dark. Thats why entire swat teams are used to clear houses. Your sons room probably only has one way in and out (not counting possible windows), that room is a lot easier to defend since you know how they would come in. It's better to defend that room than it would be to go on the offensive and risk it. You may even be shot by a cop who arrived early. Just my 2 cents anyway