Scrap

Rudeness at CMO

Before I begin I would like to mke sure I'm not breaking rules: Is Cheyenne Mountain Outfitters a sponsor here? Do they advertise, do they represent here, are their employees on here?

I have a story I would like to share of my encounter there today, I have SEVERAL stories which all lead to me going there as little as possible but, today I am reminded why.

I might have actually even "beatn up" an insolent older-than-me-man if we weren't in a , you know, gun store.

So can I tell story>?

Mine's nothing exciting. Probably was in there 3 times total. Each time, I was ignored, talked down to, given misinformation, and practically lied to in an effort to push what they had rather than what I wanted. Of course I'm a young guy (24) who they probably think knows nothing, but still, no way to treat a customer. Oh well.

The customer service I used to get there was horrible. After meeting a few of the employees at a match, they warmed up and the next time I was down there they were falling over themselves to help me. Mind you I wasn't buying anything high priced like a gun, I was just in to pick up a few odds and ends, and a couple pounds of powder.

Scrap, i might know why you asked. There is a 1911 Forum, who shall remain nameless, that deletes posts and kicks out members for any criticism (even constructive) of one of their sponsors (Fusion Firearms). It is a running joke at the other big 1911 forum.

The owner was in the process of getting me a $80 credit. a while back I bought my dad a PAP for this bday and put a $80 NcStar dot on it.... the dot broke in half one trip out. We talked on the phone, this was planned.

While he's doing his thing , I see my man Fred the older guy, and look at some Mossberg M590A1's.... This younger-man like 40-50ish who looks a lot like a Rat ( like his heritage is that of rodent) goes under his breath (great the guy who touches every gun in the store and never buys) AND BEcause it was loud enough to hear I'm like, "I've bought 4? I think 4? guns in the last 12 mo here. Two of the same, another, and the last one on a whim. The other 6 I bought last year you and i do mean YOU PERSONALLY told me "we don't need the business, the price is the price, so if you expect a discount we'll sell it to someone else",..,, Okay bud that's why I'm talking to Fred.

anyway the 590A1 i wanted was like $650 and that was a little too rich for my blood today, so I inform the owner I'll just take my full credit in Mini Mags and start poking around, stepping over the lil chain where the mags are WHICH IVE DONE EVEY SINGLE TIME IVE BEEN THERE.

Homeboy comes RUNNING OVER, I mean, Police emergency response, "EXCUSE ME SIR PLEASE EXPLAIN YOOUR ACTIIONS" .... Uh dude, I'm looking for a few mags" And you'll do it from this side of the chain, immediately remove yourself from that area..." I half chuckle and say "Oh sorry I didn''t realize it was a big deal" IF IT WASnT A BIG DEAL IT WOULD NOT BE SPECIFICED AS SUCH, DESPITE YOUR FAILRUE TO COMPREHEND.

Reeeeeeaaaaaallllly?

Okay I need some help choosing magainzes, can you please stand here and help me go through them one by one to see what we have?

NO SIR I AM HELPING A PAYING CUSTOMER.

Where? I don't see anyone? But nope. goes back to the corner to point and talk ****.

I'm seriously have the mind to get the guys name and write the Trentonian. Oh and hes "a retired State Cop he doesn't need this""\

Yup, some people shouldn't be working in retail stores. My local shop, which is about 2 miles away, lost their chance. I have bought about $3000 worth of fireamrs and ammo in the last 6 months, they got $150 of that. They could have had it all, plus what I will spend in the future, but they pizzed me off! I have two other places that I deal with that treat me great, one is "only" a 1/2 hour away, the other is a little over an hour. Paul, PK90, is a great guy to deal with, just wished he was closer.

Yup, some people shouldn't be working in retail stores. My local shop, which is about 2 miles away, lost their chance. I have bought about $3000 worth of fireamrs and ammo in the last 6 months, they got $150 of that. They could have had it all, plus what I will spend in the future, but they pizzed me off! I have two other places that I deal with that treat me great, one is "only" a 1/2 hour away, the other is a little over an hour. Paul, PK90, is a great guy to deal with, just wished he was closer.

Sayerville Sportsman?

Guy sounds like a tool.

Your options:

a) Make it a big deal, call/write the owner and see what happens. Maybe they will fire the tool after so many complaints, or maybe they will blow smoke up your azz. Would be interesting to find out.

or

b) Don't waste your time and take your business someplace else. You shouldn't have to prove how good of a customer you are to be treated respectfully. If the guy doesn't like showing guns, he should get a new job.

I don't understand how any legitimate business can turn away a customer for any reason. No store should ever claim that they can find business else where because the fact is, you are their business, you are the guy that is there to purchase. I mean for ever 5 customers that walk in the store they only expect to sell to one guy? pretty stupid practice if you ask me. The whole if you don't like the price then beat it is another piss poor policy, i have had numerous places discount me prices on transfers and other stuff, and in return i purchased more stuff from them with the money they saved me.... i just dont get it, in these economic times you need to rely on customer service.. your customers will always purchase more and stop in more frequently.

It is one thing if your constantly window shopping, or walk in a store and kinda aimlessly walk around, i can see why they may no want to help you, but the fact is, put on your happy face and do what your paid to do, be a salesman, the only excuse for someone walking in a store and not purchasing something is either a piss poor sales man, or a broke customer.

I've had good experiences at CMO. I've never bought anything from them, but I go there on occasion to see what used O/U shotguns they have in stock. There is an older man who always seems to be there. He's always been nice to me,even though I've never bought anything. They have a nice used Franchi there that keeps begging me to take her home, but I've resisted the temptation. Still, the guy let's me look at it every couple of weeks as I pat my wallet and weigh the happiness of a new skeet gun over the earful I'll get from my beloved wife.

I've had good and bad experiences at Hague's. They were great when I bought my CX4. But when I went back to look for a PX4, they kept pushing the 92FS, which I already own. And they pushed it after I told them this. That left a bad taste in my mouth. The guys at Hague's... hard to explain. It's almost like they can't turn Cop off.

Odds are that my next handgun will be purchased from Rayco Armory. I like the fact that there is a gun store close to Cherry Hill and I want to keep it that way.

• Like 1

I don't understand how any legitimate business can turn away a customer for any reason.

Never worked in retail?

I'm not defending CMO, I'm responding to your comment. There are some customers who will consume an inordinate amount of your time and purchase little or nothing.

Question after question after question after question and even when you answer everything and spend a lot of your time with them and help them out with their current problem, they will bust your balls on price. "Oh, I can get that for 50 cents cheaper at XYX"

If you've ever worked in retail, you can spot these folks after about 30 seconds of conversation. This does not mean you're rude to them or ignore them, it just means they get a low priority. When you spend your time with a tire kicker and a known good customer walks away out of frustration, you get really annoyed. Specially when it's the tire kicker's 5th trip in a month.

• Like 1

gun stores that **** and moan over people "handling guns too much" should just pack it in and close.. handling guns at a store is about the ONLY advantage they have going for them..

SOME gun shops are priceless.. and their owners treat ALL customers fairly and equally.. even the customers that don't buy and are annoying... that is called professionalism and those individuals are destined to succeed.... the rest are simply on borrowed time..

• Like 1

gun stores that **** and moan over people "handling guns too much" should just pack it in and close.. handling guns at a store is about the ONLY advantage they have going for them..

Amen. I wonder if those places see the writing on the wall or if they truly are oblivious

Never worked in retail?

I'm not defending CMO, I'm responding to your comment. There are some customers who will consume an inordinate amount of your time and purchase little or nothing.

Question after question after question after question and even when you answer everything and spend a lot of your time with them and help them out with their current problem, they will bust your balls on price. "Oh, I can get that for 50 cents cheaper at XYX"

If you've ever worked in retail, you can spot these folks after about 30 seconds of conversation. This does not mean you're rude to them or ignore them, it just means they get a low priority. When you spend your time with a tire kicker and a known good customer walks away out of frustration, you get really annoyed. Specially when it's the tire kicker's 5th trip in a month.

even the most annoying buy nothing customers have friends (and normally big mouths).. if someone came into my store and said I can get xyz 50 cents cheaper up the road.. I would take a $1 off and look at it as an investment in a future customer.. and good word of mouth advertising.. while I would not operate a business continuously making bad deals.. I would attempt to be flexible on the price given competition and specific special situations while balancing the interests of the business.. and I worked in retail for over 10 years.. managed several stores.. obtained numerous positive recommendations.. the whole deal.. it was my job.. every time someone walks through the door it is up to you to make the experience the most positive it can be.. in fact.. I believe that so much that if I am in a friends place of business.. I will conduct myself as professionally as if it were my own.. your relationship with the people you interact with through your place of business will directly determine the future or lack of a future..

• Like 2

The funny thing is, I work in retail. (worked), before my injury and total disc replacement back surtgery. I am a sommelier... I was the youngest certified sommelier in NJ when I got done my school. I am probably the most knowledgeable "booze" person anyone on the forum knows. thats not me boasing, honest, its just dedication to my career. But the disrespect I get at MY Job PALES in comparison,

Especially since I am 30 looking like I turned 17. I just wonder, do fresh out of Yale law school lawyers face problems wih their jobs, ? I would imagine people be like "AWWW YEAH We got teh $hizzzzzznit!!!!! Young Yale gun up in this mofo!!!!"

LOL Anyway CMO is the smae all the time, three or four dooshes three or four cool dudes. I either deal with the cool ones or tell the other ones where I bought my other rifle/shotgun cause they were too busy to help me "at the time".

And the guy really does act high and mighty cause "I'm a retired state cop", I ususally go, "Oh maybe you worked for my Dad then" and that shuts him up pretty good.

Damn I'm sorry you had a bad experience with Cheyenne Mountain Outfitters. I had a very good dealings with them. Some of you mite remember the whole I.O. Inc episode. They did everything possible on their end to try to resolve the issue. and when the state took the rifle back anyway, they gave me a full refund plus 25% discount on any purchase. That's where I got my Fail Zero kit.

But I know how it feels to be treated unprofessionally in a store while you trying to give them money... I hope u will have a better time in another gun store.

Sayerville Sportsman?

:)

It kills me that I can walk there and the OWNER treated me like that. Dave and one of the other guys there are just fine, but because of the owner I will never go back.

Paul at Arms and Ammo will let you hold each and every gun he has for sale. He even offered to let me dry-fire them if I wanted to (which I didn't). He puts them back on soft cloths and then cleans them and puts them back in the display case. I didn't have a purchase permit at the time but that didn't bother him, he knew I would be back in the future. He knows how to run a business, some others should learn the same.

And the Brick and Mortar stores wonder why we shop on Gunbroker/Guns America or Buds and have our stuff shipped to FFL's....

When Paul has something I want I call him, have it put aside, and go get it, pretty simple. Or I go on his website and see what new things he has and take a ride to go check them out.

• Like 1

Never worked in retail?

The issue can been seen from both sides, i dont need to work in retail to understand how a business conducts it's business. I have been to stores where they have treated me the same, and i have been places that took the time to help me. I've been ignored and talked down to and tell the retailers i will recommend every person i know to stay away. Me and father walked into a BMW dealership last year, as he retired and lost his company car. he wanted to get a new 7 series, it was Saturday and my father was in his yard work cloths, we were there for 10mins and not one person approached us, on our way out some guy stopped us and my father said all but too late i'll buy my 7 series somewhere else, nothing the guy said at the point would change anything, he offered many discounts, but my father doesn't work that way, if that's how they treat potential customers how will they treat you once they sell u the car. I'm just saying, if you work in retail, your job is to deal with customers, the good and the shitay. These jobs arent supposed to be a walk in the park, if some guy comes in 2 times with out buying anything is he just wasting your time, or by the third time will he actually buy. I went to ramsey outdoor many times before purchasing anything from them, but they were friendly and helpful every time and i recommended them to friends. I'll tell you right now, the people that **** and moan over 50c are sometimes the people who throw down the most cash. There people who research and find deals because there always buying crap, and sometimes they say, hey i can get this cheaper, just to see what you will say. People look for places and stores that take customers seriously, ones that are not just focused on the bottom line.

:)

It kills me that I can walk there and the OWNER treated me like that. Dave and one of the other guys there are just fine, but because of the owner I will never go back.

Paul at Arms and Ammo will let you hold each and every gun he has for sale. He even offered to let me dry-fire them if I wanted to (which I didn't). He puts them back on soft cloths and then cleans them and puts them back in the display case. I didn't have a purchase permit at the time but that didn't bother him, he knew I would be back in the future. He knows how to run a business, some others should learn the same.

And the Brick and Mortar stores wonder why we shop on Gunbroker/Guns America or Buds and have our stuff shipped to FFL's....

When Paul has something I want I call him, have it put aside, and go get it, pretty simple. Or I go on his website and see what new things he has and take a ride to go check them out.

I will admit.. I have had other positive fair dealings (Butch in Vineland).. and I also admit that I consider Paul a friend.. but he has been great to deal with.. in fact I can not think of ever hearing about a negative situation arising from an interaction with him.. and just to state the other obvious.. unlike some owners I have met.. he actually concerns himself with the community.. beyond just being there to sell you that new rifle.. or ammo when it is time to spend money..

Price is only an issue in the absence of value.

At the same time, as a business owner, you chose whom you want to deal with, much like customers choose where to shop.

Personally, I would never buy a brand new gun from a retail store like CMO, simply because their prices are far above where I can buy them, but most of all, I do not see any value that they provide to me. If it is a used item, depends on the price.

Every time I go into the store, CMO, I get muzzle swept, I hear stupid nonsense being told people. Their attitude, I dont approve of, but I understand. They are the most marketable gun store in the area, and thus they get rich bankers form Princeton, gang bangers from Trenton, white collar people from east and west windsors, and blue color from Ewing and Hamilton. All these people have different histories with firearms, and most are probably brand new to guns, and their oldest gun is "very used" at 500 rounds.

I have bought non firearms stuff from them, including bullets, ammo, and some reloading stuff, however not firearms. The value to me for the stuff I bought is that they were the only ones that had it locally. If someone else did, would buy it there.