zoid

How Common is CCW WITHOUT a Permit in NJ?

One day I was in a gun shop and looking at some small pistols. The guys behind

the counter were saying how certain ones were good for carry. I replied: Isn't

it illegal to carry in NJ? They said with a bit of a laughter don't worry we

won't tell, kinda implying it's something people do. I also have heard of some

people carrying concealed despite not having a permit.

Is this more common than I think? I personally see it as way too much of a risk.

Is this more common than I think? I personally see it as way too much of a risk.

Not something to be joking about in my opinion. I'd be curious as to the name of the dealer/gun shop.

Depends on how well-connected they are (like if daddy is the superintendent of the NJSP). Folks CCWing from out-of-state who were passing through have been caught and brutally punished though.

Nice try ATF agent... :keeporder:

I don't know about that. It's a legit question - do people in general abide by this law is a question many many have wondered, especially those who are fairly new to firearms. It comes across pretty clearly though that in NJ, this is not a minor offense. If you are caught doing this, you are going to be Bubba's "Friend", no kidding, and for a very very very long time.

Just don't do it, it's really really not worth it in my opinion.

Also, since ATF has no jurisdiction regarding state law it's more likely that they would be NJSP rather than ATF.

And even if you are careless enough to blatantly break the law, I wouldn't openly admit that in a public forum. Especially one that has all types of representatives of the law as members.

Then again I did see a guy at a particular indoor range up north put his revolver in his holster under his baggy clothes and walk out. There was no way that loon had a CCW, not by the way he conducted himself at the range.

It would be nice if I was ATF, then I could carry. :icon_mrgreen:

I'm not asking if anyone here does it. Just asking as a

general question.

I have had people tell me they carry though and they have no permit.

The whole rather get judged by 12 than carried by 6 theory... But

to my knowledge if you use a gun even in a justifiable, self defense,

situation, but you legally cannot carry you're still in a world of

legal hurt.

It would be nice if I was ATF, then I could carry. :icon_mrgreen:

I'm not asking if anyone here does it. Just asking as a

general question.

I have had people tell me they carry though and they have no permit.

The whole rather get judged by 12 than carried by 6 theory... But

to my knowledge if you use a gun even in a justifiable, self defense,

situation, but you legally cannot carry you're still in a world of

legal hurt.

If anyone is planning on this, I recommend applying and being denied for a CCW. Would make a great case to bring to the SCOTUS if you're involved in a good shoot.

Out of everyone I know, and those that I've met from the forum, I am aware of none carrying without a permit.

Why would this be a problem? You can carry at your home or your place of business. Walk into a gun shop or range and I'm willing to bet most of the employees are armed.

Yes the "we won't tell" probably isn't the right answer to the question. But you can legally carry without a CCL in certain places.

• Like 2

If anyone is planning on this, I recommend applying and being denied for a CCW. Would make a great case to bring to the SCOTUS if you're involved in a good shoot.

Out of everyone I know, and those that I've met from the forum, I am aware of none carrying without a permit.

Yeaaah, but doesn't that cause a whole host of issues when trying to get a pistol permit of change of address FPID? Especially filling out the part about being denied a permit...

Yeaaah, but doesn't that cause a whole host of issues when trying to get a pistol permit of change of address FPID? Especially filling out the part about being denied a permit...

Unsure. I don't know anyone who's had to check "been denied". My assumption is because it's so commonplace that carry permits are never issued, it wouldn't be an issue.

Why would this be a problem? You can carry at your home or your place of business. Walk into a gun shop or range and I'm willing to bet most of the employees are armed.

Yes the "we won't tell" probably isn't the right answer to the question. But you can legally carry without a CCL in certain places.

Yes you can carry in your home and on your property.

You can carry at work, as long as you are the owner.

According to my sources at GFH (not legal advice, but pretty knowledgeable), yes that would indeed cause future problems with new FID's, P2P's, etc.

If I were a brave sort, and I'm not, I might consider wearing a holster in public. In the holster, maybe a rectangular piece of wood. Something that might accidentally print.

A real gun? No, on so many levels. I value my freedom of movement.

I would assume the bodyguards for our state legislators are carrying. It would be interesting to know how may legislators have CC permits or are protected by bodyguards with CCWs. I'm not saying release names and addresses of CC holder, just some totals.

Then again I did see a guy at a particular indoor range up north put his revolver in his holster under his baggy clothes and walk out. There was no way that loon had a CCW, not by the way he conducted himself at the range.

I assume when you say "by the way he conducted himself" you are implying his gun handling skills were not very good. If that is the case, then this being NJ, he probably is more likely to have a CCW permit then someone who knows what they are doing! :D

Yes you can carry in your home and on your property.

You can carry at work, as long as you are the owner.

Are you sure it's only the owner? Or is it with owners permission?

At certain public indoor ranges, I have seen the RO's and salesmen printing under their shirts.

And no they weren't the owner or (retired) cops.

At certain public indoor ranges, I have seen the RO's and salesmen printing under their shirts.

And no they weren't the owner or (retired) cops.

You likely should have the owner's permission, in writing. Maybe both the store owner, and the land owner (not always the same person).

Let's put it this way, My wife owns a Travel Agency, she can carry her guns while at work, being I am not listed as an owner of the business I can not carry, wouldn't matter if she hired me to work there, an employee is not allow to carry, even if I did work even being married to the owner I could not carry.

You likely should have the owner's permission, in writing. Maybe both the store owner, and the land owner (not always the same person).

Owners permission for what?? to CCW with a handgun?? The owner of a store you work at can not override state law.

The rather be judged by 12 then carried by 6 doesn't apply here because regardless of your reasoning. If you are caught carrying you don't get judged by 12 you just go to jail for 7 years, lose all your rights as a citizen, and basically get disowned by society cause your a criminal, for wanting to defend yourself from the unknown.

ROs can carry because it's a range. Carrying at a business other than your own(non range, non gun smith) is illegal, permission or not.

Yeah thats some BS right there. If I own a business and I want to allow my employees to carry they should be allowed to.