Babyface Finster

Opinions on car insurance

Just wondering what other NJ residents think of their insuarnce company. I'm currently with Amica and the service is excellent, but it just keeps going up every year. I would have expected rates to go down as we get older, but I guess not. I'm thinking it is time to start shopping around.

So here are a few questions:

1) Who do you use?

2) Are you happy with them overall?

3) Have you comparison shopped their pricing against other insurers?

4) Have you made any claims in the last few years and how were you treated?

Any other relevant info you wish to share would be greatly appreciated.

im currently with allstate, prior to that with geico for about 6 years.. never made a claim with geico, but about 4 months into my term with allstate i made a claim , had a check in my hand nearly 3 hours later.

drove to my local claim center, they checked it out, wrote me a check and i dropped it off at the body shop. very good service.

as far as costs, subjectical... this is NJ after all... Car insurance rates are astronimcal IM0

1) Who do you use?

21st Century Insurance

no Complaints

Not recently, but I did when I switched to them - they were the lowest

Nope.

Just wondering what other NJ residents think of their insuarnce company. I'm currently with Amica and the service is excellent, but it just keeps going up every year. I would have expected rates to go down as we get older, but I guess not. I'm thinking it is time to start shopping around.

So here are a few questions:

1) Who do you use?

New Jersey Manufacturer

Very

Not really, had NJM forever

No Claims, have them for both home and auto, great customer service

Like the yearly "good driver" money back from NJM

Just recieved my 2012 bill for geico, my insurance went up 200.00 a month so i am currently shopping.

called and asked why they said because i had a claim last year..

I have njm for 2 of my trucks registered comercial, could not get a personnel account due to my kids being on the insurance, mikey got a heavy speeding ticket so that killed that..

Just recieved my 2012 bill for geico, my insurance went up 200.00 a month so i am currently shopping.

that crap pisses me off, why even call them insurance companies? we pay monthly dues so that THEY pay when an accident occures... Instead, they act more like loan sharks... we pay every month... then they loan us the money, then when our next cycle comes up, we wind up paying double back whatever they borrowed us...

HATE HATE HATE.

Not to piss anybody off, but my 22 year old son (unmarried) pays only $472 every six months for full coverage with 100/300/100 liability, uninsured, under-insured, collision & comprehensive on a sedan with a V-8!

Before your veins pop out of yer heads--He's living & working in Iowa, 1,100 miles from here where everyone hunts & fishes and carry permits aren't fiction......

Dave

that crap pisses me off, why even call them insurance companies? we pay monthly dues so that THEY pay when an accident occures... Instead, they act more like loan sharks... we pay every month... then they loan us the money, then when our next cycle comes up, we wind up paying double back whatever they borrowed us...

HATE HATE HATE.

But then you can go out and cause $200,000 worth of damage and your insurance will only go up $600 per year for 2 years. You pay an additional $1800 in surcharges while the ins co is stuck with a $200,000 tab.

Keep in mind medical payments in NJ are no-fault, meaning no matter who is at fault in an accident, YOUR CAR insurance will cover your medical bills PRIMARILY up to whatever PIP (personal injury protection) limit you have EVEN BEFORE your private medical insurance will cover anything.

1) Who do you use? NJM

2) Are you happy with them overall? I was.....

3) Have you comparison shopped their pricing against other insurers? They were very cheap comparatively plus there was a dividend.

4) Have you made any claims in the last few years and how were you treated? Two claims which were handled very professionally as they related to the actual claim.

However, I received a letter recently that they would be dropping me. Their reasoning was based on two delaying traffic tickets in the span of three years. The reason was disingenuous because it was actually based on two major claims in the span of a year. One was my fault and the other was not. I still have not replaced the car which was totaled back in December so I will need to shop around when the time comes.

Not sure what you guys with Geico are doing. I've been using them for years now and had (1) claim several years ago. It will very smooth, without an issue. I actually just received my bill for the next 6-month period and it went down a couple bucks. Yes, it went down. Don't know why, nor do I care. Even prior to that, I can't say that it went up much each year. I'm pleased with Geico.

I have njm for 2 of my trucks registered comercial, could not get a personnel account due to my kids being on the insurance, mikey got a heavy speeding ticket so that killed that..

Geico increased my premium for absolutly no reason just this month when i went to renew.... i was paying about 1,100 every 6 months and it went up to 1,200. I shopped around and went with progressive, i got better insurance(more coverage) and its only 800 every 6 months, that was a no brainer for me.

I had all-state before geico, and they lied to me about a claim. I filed for the claim, gave the detials, was a no fualt accident on part of both parties, (car was stopped in the middle lane of a highway with traffic moving at posted speed limit) yet they still listed the claim as my fault, even though i was assured by the claim depeartment it would not be my fault. i dropped them when they refused to change it. every time i change insurance companies my insurace magically drops like 200 bucks, I really dont get it.

It went up an additional $200 per month? You sure about that?

Not sure what you guys with Geico are doing. I've been using them for years now and had (1) claim several years ago. It will very smooth, without an issue. I actually just received my bill for the next 6-month period and it went down a couple bucks. Yes, it went down. Don't know why, nor do I care. Even prior to that, I can't say that it went up much each year. I'm pleased with Geico.

That's really funny becuase when i contacted gieco about mine going up they told me everyone's would be, what a bunch of fckn liers! For the record i havnt had anything happen that would justify this either in the past 4 years. no tickets no accidents since 2007.... why in the hell woudl they raise my rate?

It went up an additional $200 per month? You sure about that?

Probably. an accident plus having teens on the policy = a **** load of money...

I was paying close to 6k when i was 18 for insurance on an new 05 v6 accord coupe, i also had some speeding tickets to help, no accidents tho.

Edit: i should say my gracious father was paying for it back then... what a great guy. Not to say i wasnt his personal slave for those years...

The only thing u need to steer clear from are the companies who compile all the eligible drivers in your house when they decide on your rate. state farm dropped my brother because of my sisters horrible driving record, even though my brothers record was clean and he was the only one on the policy.... They sent him a statement with every driver in the house and the infractions ranging from no seat belt and light failure tickets to accidents... Thank god my name wasnt on there, everyone in my house caught heat for that one.

200 a month?? you sure that not per year Tony?

Don't be afraid to switch carriers.

I cant figure out why but i have to agree with this. Maybe it's because im young and my rates still go down with age, but at least look at different carriers when its time to renew, you could be saving a few hundred bucks. The reality is, most of these companies are the same, and they will try and hold you at the highest amount possible for as long as possible. Some companies also use different factors for deciding on your rate which change over time.

just opened my NJM comercial policy will have to check what it cost last year.

cars on policy all full coverage.

1999 ford f250 super duty

2004 trailblazer ext

2010 cobalt ss

liability..1596.00

uninsured..160.00

medical payments...79.00

personal injury protection.. 249.00

physical damage,

other than collision..115.00

collision...601.00

premium for endorsments?..166.00

total premium...2966.00

NJ pliga, nj property and liability insurance guarantee association surcharge?..24.00

2011 dividend 10% 287.30

net cost..2702.70

considering full coverage on all 3 this is a good deal..

My marine operators insurance also covers boat hauling that is a 2 million dollar policy..

I had Geico for a few year until 2 years in a row they raised my rates for no reason. Switched back to Liberty Mutual and after 2 years, same thing, increases for no reason.

I switched to Travelers a few months ago and saved about $500 a year for my 2 cars.

No claims experience.

1) Who do you use? GEICO

2) Are you happy with them overall? They've kept my premiums the same for about a decade. No reductions for good driving, but no unnecessary increases either

3) Have you comparison shopped their pricing against other insurers? Yup. 21st Century and Progressive both beat them by almost $200/yr., but I've heard horror stories about 21st's customer service, and I wouldn't give a red cent to Progressive, due to their owner's political proclivities

4) Have you made any claims in the last few years and how were you treated? One claim (vandalism); no issues with how they handled it

1) Also have NJM.

2) love them.

3) don't need to comparison shop, because i feel they are the best in NJ even if it probably costs a little more.

4) haven't had a claim in years, but every time i filed, i never had issues.

I have NJM

I switched from State Farm in 2003. State farm was almost double what NJM was. I've never had a claim but everyone I know that has had claims and tickets hasn't had any issues.

I love getting a rebate each year.

I have Allstate and they are great, just like some of the other post took the jeep to a Allstate center, had a check in day and off to the body shop $100 deductible and my rate didn't go up and i get a check for $60 bucks every six months for being accident free.