I have yet to see a gangster there.

I'm wondering if "gangsta" means an urban individual dressed in urban clothes whether he (or she) be black, hispanic, asian or white.

I have been there many times to shoot at the range and to browse the displays. I have to say that they are always helpful and often have a very good selection of handguns at reasonable prices-including more used handguns than you can find at most places these days. The RO's can be brusque but if you take the time to say hello and to be decent to them, they respond in kind. Recently I was there when the owner very patiently explained to a newbie that a "1911" did not mean it was MADE in 1911. I will continue to go back. By the way, in my experience, most genuine "gangsta's" wear a suit a tie, carry a briefcase, have a law degree, serve in our Assembly and Senate, and rob us blind.

Using their range, good place if you stay off busy hours. ROs are good.

Haven't seen any gansta types, unless you call gansta type someone unshaved in leather jacket - someone like me :)

They have always treated me well , no complaints. I put 100 bucks on a gun a few weeks ago ( was waiting for permits) . They put it in the back in its case to wait for me to pick it up. It does not stay in the display. Jenn gave me a very fair price on the gun . They are not gouging ammo during the current crisis. They have done a lot for the 2A cause. When we needed a bus from North Jersey they offered to foot the bill for the empty seats if the bus did not fill. Jenn bought us all donuts , coffee and movies for the ride to the Rally.

Give them a chance , be friendly , and observe range ettiquette . Then make your own decision ;)

This ^^^^ I've purchased from them before and had no problems. It's been extremely crowded so you have to cut them some slack. I imagine there are some real bone heads they have to deal with.

Geeze dude.... Not to hijack a thread but in Lucianos/Ottomanellis defense. First of all, mostly everyone in there is family. Mike is the owner, then there is junior, etc... But since you've been there only once, you are awfully quick to trash and being opinionated.

If anything, there is usually MSF prices which is understandable. They are limited on black rifles right now due to the market as well as other weapons and ammo. Also, on prices, the owner and I get along well. I can assure you, he's not gouging.

Referencing selection... Other than what I mentioned, he has good contacts in HKs, Sigs, Kimber, as well as others and they usually have many. They also get some really high end rifles as well... They get shipments in regularly like last weekend he had over 24 black rifles for sale. Once they have their Re-Grand Opening, they will be entertaining discounts that are similar to he rest for NRA and other various orgs.

So.... For a new shop.... IMHO, they are kicking arse. They currently have well over $2Gs of my money, so I'm not just a tire kicker there... Work with them and they'll work with you. But give them a freaken chance. They are one of he most friendliest shops I've seen...

Sorry OP and folks... But it needed to be said.

I have had AWFUL experiences many times at BulletHole, dating back 7 years. It used to be a "dirty ganster pawn shop" mentality, but things have changed for sure the past 3 years. Still I avoid this place like the plague, but it's my closest range. Their range times are convenient, but the prices are high like everywhere else in northern NJ. The BIGGEST complaint I have is their "no firing too fast" rule. I like to train with a *single* action revolver, and I often like to practice semi-rapid fires and reloads. In my opinion, the range officers should realize that *rapid fire* and SA Army revolvers should not be used in the same sentence. If I'm experienced enough to lay multiple revolvers at the gun port and tight group a SA Army, you should leave me alone.

I would recommend Meltzers. Peter (there are 2, the older one) has excellent customer service, and is very respectful to LE / EMS despite the chaos of the gun world right now. He even looked into getting some "more rare" ammo for me, even though the chances are VERY slim that anything is available.

Also recommended: G & S Hungters in Paterson are very helpful. They went out of their way to track something down for me last year. They have a very good gunsmith there, forgot his name.

Luciano's / Ottomanelli's is a SHAM, if you ask me. Their prices are VERY high, even for the massive gun / ammo inflation of the past 2 years. They are a brand new shop, and it's all young punks at the counters. Their selection is limited, and they obviously do not have long standing relationships with firearms distributers. I didn't get a good feeling when I went to see their store, but I have only been there once so that's my 0.02

Sent from John's iPad 2 via Tapatalk HD

Typos courtesy Apple...

Stopped by the Bullet Hole for the first time today. Everyone there was extremely helpful and they had the Mossberg 500 in STAINLESS (not a mariner, this thing is real stainless!) I bought it instantly. I don't sterotype with this "gangster" ideology, since I do live in Newark anyway.

So I was at bullet hole yesterday after work to use their range for the first time, first time ever inside their store and to my surprise they had a firearm in stock that I've been wanting for a while now, I asked about the firearm and the guy over the counter said the lowest they'll take as a down payment is 100 and hold it to the side for as long as 6 months

So how reputable is bullet hole in general? Everyone seemed really nice, I got in and out of the range pretty quick so no hassles

I don't have any permits right now because I wasn't expecting to find this firearm, so I don't want to put all the paperwork in wait for my permits, put a down payment on the firearm and in 4 weeks they sold it already, or put a down payment and have them keep it on display for people to handle with the chance of damaging it

I'm not saying anything bad about them, just I've heard horror stories and wanted to know how they treat their customers there since I've never used them before

Thanks

What was the gun you wanted?

Jim @ bullethole is a good guy (younger guy with the beard). If anyone visits bullethole, he's a very good shooter and if he's willing, can show you some good pointers. I've personally never seen anyone shoot as accurately as he has at the 23 yard mark in that range.

Last time I was there they had a bunch of Kimbers, Sigs, Berettas, and some para ordnance handguns in the case if anyone was looking. Not so many used guns.

Jim @ bullethole is a good guy (younger guy with the beard). If anyone visits bullethole, he's a very good shooter and if he's willing, can show you some good pointers. I've personally never seen anyone shoot as accurately as he has at the 23 yard mark in that range.

Last time I was there they had a bunch of Kimbers, Sigs, Berettas, and some para ordnance handguns in the case if anyone was looking. Not so many used guns.

Jim is the guy who helped us out last week. Nice kid with a quirky sense of humor. He is like a breath of fresh air at the bullet hole. He was even making some of the grumpier senior members behind the counter crack a little smile.

Stopped by the Bullet Hole for the first time today. Everyone there was extremely helpful and they had the Mossberg 500 in STAINLESS (not a mariner, this thing is real stainless!) I bought it instantly. I don't sterotype with this "gangster" ideology, since I do live in Newark anyway.

So your the asshole that got that......Damn! Good buy!

Jim caught me loose on my grip last year and broke my balls about it. I haven't been shooting slight left since. Good guy and ALL are willing to help. Like I have said before, never had a problem and was always a pleasure to go there. Btw, the range lines are shorter between 11 and 3, weekdays. My only complaint, and this goes for all indoor ranges, is the need to double up on ears. I am no stranger to fire or percussion, but with indoor ranges, hi power rifles make me shake without two sets of ears indoors. Suppressors should be legal everywhere!

I go there a lot, jimmy is the only one that recognizes me and acknowledges me. As far as their attitudes go i've never had a problem with them, I bought my s&w mp15 there and jen gave me a real good deal. I have a mossberg 5oo 8 shot there that I put on layaway and I cant wait to pick it up, range is cramped and old but it does the job for me because I dont have to pay extra for having someone else with me and usually have my wife with me.

I don't like MSRP either, but as I said, they are new. Give them time. Incidentally once they have their new Grand Opening... They will be granting 10% discounts to various orgs... What ticked me off was you calling the kids punks and the biz a sham. They are neither and didn't deserve that. I always give a business a few shots... If I constantly get bad vibes, I write them off. But I've always walked in there and they had open arms.. The shake hands, they remember you, etc... IMHO, that's a great way to start out.

As I clearly stated, I have ONLY been there once. They just opened up again recently.... not like they have been in business for long. Do you know how long it takes to get a P2P in Essex County right now?

My FPID was seized (illegally in my opinion, already appealed to NJSP Sgt Det) by my local PD at the *start* of my Change of Address to Essex county. In the Essex thread, I detailed this. I usually qualify for LEO discounts. I enter each gun shop like I do anything else gun or crime scene related, with a calm cool head. I leave without causing a fuss or arguing.

First impression, that's all. We are all entitled to our opinion, and first impressions are important. They know when I walk in the door and show IDs, and tell them it's my first time at their store, and walk in with 2 gun cases that I'm not a newb.

I have never considered this understandable. Those shops that stay loyal to long-time gun owners, and offer LEO pricing that's reasonable, will get my business. The shops that price everything AT or above MSRP, cya later. By the way, I was shopping for revolvers, M&P pistols, and M9s. No black guns for me, my 30-06 still works just fine.

Ok, I will give them another chance. Maybe they will have the 5k rounds of ammo I'll need after the Essex County mental health checks are done in 2014 :)

I went to the range there this past Friday and Saturday. Their parking lot sucks, the store is cramped and messy. However the people were very nice to me, my friend, and cousin. The range officer (the short kid) was helpful and friendly. Overall it was fine for me, and it is close. I liked it.

This place is a town away from me...and yes the facility is cramped and the staff seem grumpy at times, but for the most part they are helpful and do a good job moving the shooters along in the range....it's a shooting range for crying out loud, not the waiting room at the Lexus dealer :D

I've never purchased a gun from them before, but I would if they had the one I was looking for, there prices seem reasonable.

BulletHole: Can someone explain the "no firing too fast" rule, using a revolver? Even semi autos, if I can acquire the target reliably, and I have tight groupings, why can't I practice some 3 / 4 round sets? Double taps are illegal at the range, why, please explain?

Never had a problem double tapping there myself.

I don't think he meant truly "illegal," just prohibited by range rules. Most ranges are afraid that people who rapid fire are going to be putting rounds into the ceiling, and they don't want to be bothered distinguishing between those of us who can put multiple rounds on target and those who can't. (Notice how I cleverly included myself in there.)

Why? Why can't I spend 8 shots of 45 ACP in a row, if that's what I want to do? Give me a reason why that should be illegal at a *firing range*. Another example of NJ Gun Nazis.

That happened when I was there 2 saturdays ago when I was waiting for a lane, one guy on lane 2 started rapid firing. then when someone told him to stop turned around and pointed the gun to the next stall which had a guy and his wife shooting there. And then another guy with them tells the RO, " sorry he's new to this". I think thats the reason why they dont allow it, just my observation.

That happened when I was there 2 saturdays ago when I was waiting for a lane, one guy on lane 2 started rapid firing. then when someone told him to stop turned around and pointed the gun to the next stall which had a guy and his wife shooting there. And then another guy with them tells the RO, " sorry he's new to this". I think thats the reason why they dont allow it, just my observation.

And this is WHY I don't go to commercial ranges! Been swept far too many times! Just CRAZY the SH!T that goes down!

Thing is, while we might not understand why they do it, and may not agree with it, its not like their rules aren't quite clear and plain to understand. Each indoor range such as BA or SS or most of the other ones have clear rules what you can and can't do at their range. If you want to do something that they want you not to do, then go somewhere that DOES allow it.. Would i like to go someplace and fire off an entire mag in the span of 15-20 seconds? Sure (well, at least once i get my CZ), but i know i can't until I eventually join a private club/range..