So I am sitting in my car at a NJTP rest area and a car rolls-up two spots away with a flat tire. Guy gets out, looks at the flat tire, then opens the trunk. While bending over in the trunk to remove the spare tire and tools, I see a handgun and holster under his shirt. I bet if I was a cop in an unmarked car this guy would have been arrested. Had Virginia tags on the car and probably had no idea he can't carry a gun like that in this state. If he was LEO or something from that state, what could have occured? A warning and told to put the gun securely away like we have to?

Interesting observation Mike! Since he popped-open the trunk to get the spare, and you didn't see or smell a dead body, I would have asked him if he needed any help. The mere presence of a gun doesn't scare me or make me want to call the Cops. I might have even suggested unless he's got a permit from Jersey or is a LEO to put it in the trunk along with the flat tire. A simple mistake isn't worth jackin' somebody up for. Now if he gets hostile or "freaky" I remind him that security cameras are all-over the rest stop, as I open my trunk for access to my 12 ga. lol!

So we've all spent so much time in NJ we've become indoctrinated to the idea anyone carrying a gun must be a criminal? If I saw signs of criminal activity I would call 911 but in my mind, person + gun does not automatically mean criminal.

This.

Is he driving a blacked out vehicle and looks "gangsterish"? Then maybe dial 911. If he's your average looking Joe- he may just be a firm believer in his right to bear arms.

If it was in a proper holster.... I could care less, most likely a pro-gun person making a mistake, if the conditions presented itself, I might approach to make sure he was not carrying here out of error.....

If the gun was stuck in his waistband.... whole different animal IMHO.....

So we've all spent so much time in NJ we've become indoctrinated to the idea anyone carrying a gun must be a criminal? If I saw signs of criminal activity I would call 911 but in my mind, person + gun does not automatically mean criminal.

Wow, you couldn't be more wrong. Police can not be everywhere. If you see something & feel uncertain about it, you need to err on the side of caution & report it. You won't feel like a fool if the Police checks it out & find the guy is a LEO. It's no bother to the Police at all. As a matter of fact, you may just have prevented possible crimes from happening.

Also, you should not approach the person since you may be putting yourself in danger. You may be tempted to go up and remind the guy about firearms transport laws but in the end, he's really a STRANGER to you.

"person + gun" = criminal ?

It's all about the situation.

Customers walk around with firearms at the range. OK

Hunters wear camoflauge & carry shotguns in the woods during hunting. probably OK

A guy on the highway with a concealed handgun?

Remember where you are. You are in NJ, not Texas.

If the dude was tweaked out or shady looking, I would call the police.

Otherwise, I would mind my own business and carry on. Chances are very high he is either an out of state LEO, federal agent of some sort (tons of them can carry guns, like the FDA, Mail Inspectors, NRC, etc), or an ignorant good-guy gun owner that is unaware that he has traveled into a US Constitution Bill of Rights suspension zone.

Wow, you couldn't be more wrong. ... You won't feel like a fool if the Police checks it out & find the guy is a LEO. It's no bother to the Police at all. As a matter of fact, you may just have prevented possible crimes from happening.

bs. It has nothing to do with feeling foolish or bothering the police. I don't call the police on someone unless they are doing something wrong. Simply having a gun is not automatically wrong. The OP didn't describe one single thing that suggests criminal activity.

I know exactly where I am. In NJ it's illegal to stop for coffee with a gun in the trunk on the way to the range. Would you call 911 on someone doing that?

It's entirely possible this guy is innocently traveling from VA, had car trouble, and is now unintentionally violating NJ's ridiculous and unconstitutional firearm law. Calling the cops in a situation like that can ruin someone's life. I didn't read one single thing in the OP's description to suggest anything more that would warrant turning him into another Brian Aitken.

Wow, you couldn't be more wrong. Police can not be everywhere. If you see something & feel uncertain about it, you need to err on the side of caution & report it. You won't feel like a fool if the Police checks it out & find the guy is a LEO. It's no bother to the Police at all. As a matter of fact, you may just have prevented possible crimes from happening.

Also, you should not approach the person since you may be putting yourself in danger. You may be tempted to go up and remind the guy about firearms transport laws but in the end, he's really a STRANGER to you.

"person + gun" = criminal ?

It's all about the situation.

Customers walk around with firearms at the range. OK

Hunters wear camoflauge & carry shotguns in the woods during hunting. probably OK

A guy on the highway with a concealed handgun?

Sorry, but I think YOU couldn't be more wrong. The "probably" gives it away.

Here's another story:

Trucker has a problem with his engine's hoses or something. Pulls-over, starts to make a repair. NJSP arrive and check it all out. Trucker volunteers info that he's got a loaded hand gun tucked-away in the cab for protection (he's only doing what he's supposed to do in his home State, namely announcing to Cops he has a gun, since it's the law where he's from). Guess where he is now?? That's right, in the SLAMMER! So once again NJ's unconstitutional firearms laws "jack-up" an honest, law-abiding, tax-paying citizen. WHY?

Part of the problem in NJ is that firearms owners are scared of their own shadows. Unless the guy either looks like he's cut "high & tight" like a Cop's hairstyle, or looks like Charles Manson, I'll risk sayin' sumthin' to keep this poor bastard with the flat tire out of the lock-up. And I'd do it within reach of my 12 ga.(just in-case). But that's just me...

I make it a habit of minding my own business......unless his business becomes my business.

K.I.M. = keep it moving

I don't know nothing, i didn't see nothing, I don't know them, I don't know nothing

I make it a habit of minding my own business......unless his business becomes my business.

This. Unless something tells me his is a criminal I am minding my own business. Why ruin someone's day for something that should be legal anyway.

I am to the point if I was on a jury I would never vote to convict on any possession gun crimes.

In NJ it's illegal to stop for coffee with a gun in the trunk on the way to the range. Would you call 911 on someone doing that?

I am pretty sure coffee is considered a reasonably necessary deviation under all circumstances. ;-)

It's possible he was a criminal. Call 9 1 1

Really? Call 911? I'm sorry, but this is why we're in the state we're in right now! Harassing a person, searching him, locking him up in jail.. that's not bothering anyone because he's carrying? Could be a cop, could be someone (gun friend with family) that got so used to carrying he simply forgot to lock his gun in his trunk. I don't know how many times I drive 2-3 miles from my house on the way to NJ and have to turn around because I forgot I had my carry on me. I could end up being in the same scenario...law abiding, tax paying honest citizen that made a mistake and you'd feel great reporting me, ruining my life over a law that is actually ILLEGAL. Thanks...thank you for ruining the life of upstanding citizens that do make mistakes. You want to live with that? I know I don't!

Then what's the difference in the scenario above if he was pulling the tire out of his trunk and you noticed a gun in a case that he was transporting? How about several guns in cases? You could assume he's selling guns illegally and call the cops....once again, making the honest citizen a criminal. In NJ, he'd go to jail, ruin his life, be tied up with tens of thousands in legal fees and his life ruined. While you're at it, why don't you start reporting people that are speeding? How about out of date registration stickers? Wait...why not report anyone that goes through a RED light. How about people riding bicycles without a helmet? I could go on and on. Go ahead, turn over innocent people to the "Bloomberg's" of the world. That's what they want...be a good little soldier of the state.

This mentality of ..."call 911" for every darn thing just boggles my mind. Face facts, you're NJ brainwashed and bought into the system.Assuming someone is GUILTY before assuming they're innocent. That's what freedom is all about...This is how it starts, look at history.

Virginia tags? I thinking Federal... FBI,ATF or LEO.What did your belly tell you? Those of us who has been around awhile develop a early warning system which settles somewhere in our guts [along with everything else apparently] and it's usually quite accurate. So what was your gut instinct?

For me, if everything feels kosher....I mind my own business.

Really? Call 911? I'm sorry, but this is why we're in the state we're in right now! Harassing a person, searching him, locking him up in jail.. that's not bothering anyone because he's carrying? Could be a cop, could be someone (gun friend with family) that got so used to carrying he simply forgot to lock his gun in his trunk. I don't know how many times I drive 2-3 miles from my house on the way to NJ and have to turn around because I forgot I had my carry on me. I could end up being in the same scenario...law abiding, tax paying honest citizen that made a mistake and you'd feel great reporting me, ruining my life over a law that is actually ILLEGAL. Thanks...thank you for ruining the life of upstanding citizens that do make mistakes. You want to live with that? I know I don't!

Then what's the difference in the scenario above if he was pulling the tire out of his trunk and you noticed a gun in a case that he was transporting? How about several guns in cases? You could assume he's selling guns illegally and call the cops....once again, making the honest citizen a criminal. In NJ, he'd go to jail, ruin his life, be tied up with tens of thousands in legal fees and his life ruined. While you're at it, why don't you start reporting people that are speeding? How about out of date registration stickers? Wait...why not report anyone that goes through a RED light. How about people riding bicycles without a helmet? I could go on and on. Go ahead, turn over innocent people to the "Bloomberg's" of the world. That's what they want...be a good little soldier of the state.

This mentality of ..."call 911" for every darn thing just boggles my mind. Face facts, you're NJ brainwashed and bought into the system.Assuming someone is GUILTY before assuming they're innocent. That's what freedom is all about...This is how it starts, look at history.

^^^^^THIS^^^^^!

Exactly! Time for NJ Gun Owners to Cowboy-Up and grow a set of Balls! I think everyone in this thread that said "DIAL 911" ought to conceal-carry around the house and their property outside of the house. Learn what it means to be FREE and SELF-RELIANT. STOP being a PU$$Y!

Wow!!! I never thought I would hear this in a PRO-2A community.. "Call 911" "He might be a criminal" for exercising a -GOD GIVEN RIGHT- on a God forsaken state to gun owners.. And what does an "Average looking Joe" looks like? Wow!!! We are messed if people continue thinking like this specially Pro2a.. Ohh by the way I am a Hispanic that looks African American and During weekdays don't wear my best attire since I am always working. If I were to come form another state carrying my firearm I would get the police called by another PRO2A person.. WOW!!!