Pythagoras

Favorite Hot Sauce?

Some backstory: My parents aren't big on spicy foods, so when I was growing up all we had was a little bottle of Tabasco that only came out to play once in a blue moon.  That all changed when I got to college. Spent 4 years at Rutgers and the dining hall had a wide selection: 3 types of Tabasco, Frank's, and like 6 types of Cholula.

I'm down in South Florida now and my roommate brought home La Victoria and Crystal, which I had never heard of before, but I think Crystal is my favorite so far.  It has a nice amount of heat, but it also adds a hint of its own genuine flavor without overpowering the food (unlike Tabasco, which made me forget I was eating scrambled eggs).

He also told me the most interesting use of hot sauce I've ever heard: he puts it on popcorn!  Never seen that before.

tl;dr --- Oh great community of NJ Gun Forums, I beseech you to edumucate me: What's your favorite hot sauce, and what do you like to put it on?

I make my own from Scotch Bonnet peppers from a grower in Florida that has Trinidadian Scorpion bonnets.But my favorite bottled sauces are Matouk's from Trinidad,Delish from Barbados and El Yucateco XXX from Mexico.

These are not what I call gimmick hot sauces that use capsicum oils and fillers but age old recipes that lend taste to dishes not destroy your taste buds with artificial heat.

Sriracha /end thread.

hotsauce30n-2-web.jpg

interestingly enough, i just recently discovered this (and by recently, i mean 2 weeks ago) after hearing about it from various sources for so long..  Finally decided to buy a bottle and was extremely pleasantly surprised how much I liked it.  Prior to this, Franks had been really the only hot sauce i put on anything (and i've added that to beef hash, eggs, home fries, etc).  With the sriracha, I put it on a burger from Five Guys with some ketchup and the flavor was unreal.  Not overpowering heat with a great tang to it. 

+1 HE Marie sharps is one of the best! Also check out Hot mommas from Belize they are really good too. I stocked up because I just got back from Belize and toured where they make hot mommas and Marie sharps

Siracha is #1.

Look for Siracha with garlic...that's a nice sauce, and it's a little thicker- you have to spoon it out..

Badia is siracha with something sweet in it...it's good if you like the taste.

Ass On Fire from Louisiana area is good and pretty hot.

If you're into the "light and medium" heat sauces a couple of the Tabasco varieties are quite good. Try the Tabasco green sauce. It's pretty mild on the heat but tasty. Their smoked Chipotle is quite good and their roasted garlic is good and has medium but respectable heat,

I like Frank's if I have nothing fancy around. The other thing you should try is several brands of buffalo wing sauce. If you find one you really like you'll be putting it on everything.

For mild and tasty Cholula, for downright hot- Scorned Woman Hot sauce

We used to make hot cayenne based hot sauce all the time, made Scotch Bonnet based one time and had to wear scuba gear just to finish cooking it, it was that hot!

I make my own carrot/habanero sauce and I probably have over a dozen different bottled sauces in the kitchen.  Can't really say I have a favorite...  different sauces for different moods.  What you won't find here is Tabasco.  Blech....  watered down, tasteless crap. 

But I find the older I get, the more the picture below applies!

post-5168-0-72503200-1390239340_thumb.jpg

Camouflage hot sauce. Nice light flavor that doesn't kill what your putting it on, and a slow heat that comes through at the very end of the bite.

I've had tons of bottles of hot sauce. At one point I had 15 bottles of different varieties from the countries I've visited. Mostly Mexico and the Bahamas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I used to use some of the extreme stuff but nowadays I use Dave's Insanity when I use it at all. Which is probably extreme for this crowd from what I am seeing.

I stuck with that because it has a good flavor. Some of the extreme stuff, such as Blaine's of NJ and Dave's Private reserve just didn't have a well-balanced flavor although I used them for many years.

I can do better with some dried Ghost Peppers and Habbies rehydrated in a pan and thrown in a blender with a little tomato sauce and special ingredients. Just gets better flavor than most of that stuff.

Also consider Volcano Dust. It's got a lot of Ghost Peppers and is extremely hot but incredible flavor. And it's flakes/powder.

I think 302W can vouch for my taste in peppers.

HankSauce They have a resturant in Sea Isle City and sell the sauce in a number of places in Southern NJ. It's not the hottest but it has good heat and great flavor.

Second is Endorphin Rush. I got a bottle in Virginia Beach in 1996 and am now almost out of it. Confused?? I shake it up then use the tip of a butter knife to scrape a little off the inside of the cap then apply to the desired food. 1 little dip is enough to heat up a slice of pizza. 1/2 teaspoon heats up a pot of chilli.