Lalo

What would you do? v. Creepy roadstop

What would YOU do?

CN: Dude with dashcam driving down road late at night. Sees cones on both lanes and a car parked. Man (who obviously isn't dressed like a police officer) approaches driver on passenger and reaches in his pocket and driver guns it outta there.

Thanks Malsua - http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2014/11/watch_drive_approaches_suspicious_roadblock_on_turnpike_zooms_away_as_man_approaches_vehicle.html

That's a pretty good idea for some scumbag to be honest. Older people (senior citizens), and just very gullible people in general, would easily stop and see what's going on or if the guy needed help. I will be telling friends and family to watch out for stuff like this and only stop if you see actual police.

As I typed that, even that situation is difficult since there are crooks out there impersonating police officers.

Drive through the cones, try to get a plate number, call 911 and GTFO. 

I want to get a car soonish, but I love driving my truck for the reason I can drive through more than just cones if need be.

I would have hit the gas as well and if the jackhole was dumb enough to walk in front of me, oh well.

I had a similar situation in a mall back in the mid 80s...there was one way out between two long rows of cars and I could see two big dudes (6'5"+) shaking down people driving past.  One would walk out in front, the other would go to a window and extract a toll or something, I never found out other than seeing him take a swing at a driver then some ones come flying out the window and the guy in front walked off then the car left.   I was with 3 friends at the time, approaching the targert area and I said, "if these guys walk out in front, I'm hitting 'em."

Sure enough...here comes dude one.  I had a POS with a thrush muffler and I floored it and turned into them, a bunch of noise was made but no real movement(the car was a 1977 Plymouth Arrow with a 1.6 that ran on 3.5 cylinders ) and I clipped the front guy with my fender and he spun/rolled down driver side of the car.   Needless to say I drove away from there as fast as that POS would go and didn't go back to that mall for 3 months. heh.   I'm guessing, without proof of course, that their days of shaking down people in a parking lot were over.

So according to the video, this happened on Rt. 78 West by the Turnpike. Anyone hear any local news about this incident? Some people's comments on the internwebs say the suspects have been caught, one had a warrant?

I'll post a follow-up hypothetical question related to this soon...

I would have never even stopped in the first place. Once I realized it was not a cop I would have speed past and stopped before the next exit and called the cops. if the car that was stopped passed me I would have followed it while on the phone with the cops. Who knows they could have kidnapped someone and had then in their car. I was in a similar situation once when I took a wrong turn in Reding  PA. we stopped at a stop light and 4 hood rats came towards all 4 corners of my friends car. I told my friend we were about to get car jacked and he popped the clutch and burned right through a red light. Lets just say that the 2 scumbags in front were lucky they did not dent his fenders to bad as they rolled off the sides.

I sent the link to my daughter. She travels the turnpike a lot. Turns out the guy driving is a friend of hers. He called 911 and was later told the 2 guys were arrested. One for DUI and the other for an outstanding warrant. He said he didn't want to drive over the cones, so he went around them because his car is lowered and didn't want to destroy the front end by trapping a cone under the car. Over, around or through. Whatever it takes. At least he's safe.

Why's this guy have a dash cam. Is that something that's trending and I didn't hear about...like most things

I've been running one for a year now.   62 bucks on Amazon.  I caught one accident as it happened on it that I forwarded to the cops and they used to corroborate their findings.

I've also caught quite a bit of boneheaded moves, crash scenes and drunk drivers.   In the event I'm ever in a crash or get accused of running a light or something, I'll have proof otherwise.

I am appalled by the cavalier attitude to taking a life expressed by too many on this thread. The driver in this video, although he could not keep to a lane, did pretty much the right thing. He slowed down to assess the situation and then decided to leave. There is no justification in trying to kill someone just because you don't know what they want.

I am appalled by the cavalier attitude to taking a life expressed by too many on this thread. The driver in this video, although he could not keep to a lane, did pretty much the right thing. He slowed down to assess the situation and then decided to leave. There is no justification in trying to kill someone just because you don't know what they want.

No, but you don't deviate, either.  A "reasonable person" knows to stay out of the way of a car going in a straight line.  Deviating from that straight line brings up (yes, in court) the question of were you aiming for the 'victim' when you ran his sorry ass over.

Forcing people to stop on the highway isn't okay.

Why would anyone want to drive past an unknown threat, exposing themselves to danger? The cones and the parked car were visible in this guy's low beams at a reasonably safe distance. Seems to me that the smartest thing to do would be to stop there, hit the brights and get a good look at the situation. I would rather back up some after seeing some skell in a hoodie then drive past him, exposing my flank to god know what. The best way to deal with danger is to prevent being in it in the first place.

Additionally, not knowing what was beyond those cones makes jamming on the gas a pretty bad idea. No way to know if there is another car or some other obstruction to stop you in your tracks. Caution always wins over bravado.