Malsua

Thieves posing as utility workers?

Yesterday afternoon, two people showed up to my house offering a free oil burner safety check.  My wife spoke to them and sent them on their way.

Now, I have no idea who these people are and they may be completely legitimate.

As far as I know, they didn't identify themselves as belonging to  any particular company.

They didn't have a company vehicle, I have video of them walking the road and approaching all the houses to the north.

A fairly common scam is utility workers offering inspections, or whatnot.  One distracts the homeowner while the other loots valuables.

All the utility workers in my area are white men, usually 40+.   The linemen, the gas and oil delivery guys, the septic dudes, the tree guys, etc.

I can't imagine what they get when they find a safety issue or what they were selling or scamming.  They clearly want something from the homeowners, they aren't walking the streets for the fun of it.

I'll also note they didn't approach the door because my dog was certainly going ballistic.  While he's a cute fluffball he's 25lbs and has the bark of a bigger dog because he's got a deep chest.

unknown1.jpg

unknown2.jpg

unknown3.jpg

So what happened? Did you open the door to them? Could you read what was on the ID tags hanging from their jackets? Did you report the incidence to the PD? 

I'm naturally wary also and if someone shows up at my door uninvited, what they can't see when/if I answer the door is the .45 I'm holding behind my right hip.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

I did have a couple of people who claimed to be from Comcast (even with a Comcast  branded truck) seeking entry to "inspect" the wiring, believing that I was "causing interference". They had some kind of device with an antenna on it that I had no idea what it was or how it worked.  I denied them entry. They left after a few minutes and never showed up again. And Comcast never contacted me about them either, so ....  :dontknow:

So what happened? Did you open the door to them? Could you read what was on the ID tags hanging from their jackets? Did you report the incidence to the PD? 

I'm naturally wary also and if someone shows up at my door uninvited, what they can't see when/if I answer the door is the .45 I'm holding behind my right hip.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

I wasn't home.  My wife isn't nearly as suspicious or inquisitive as I am.  She just told them she wasn't interested, we have gas heat.   She didn't ask who they are from or inspect their information.  She probably cracked the door, but as a safety test, she gets an F-.

I have a contact at the Vernon police and I forwarded these photos to him, I've not heard back.

I did have a couple of people who claimed to be from Comcast (even with a Comcast  branded truck) seeking entry to "inspect" the wiring, believing that I was "causing interference". They had some kind of device with an antenna on it that I had no idea what it was or how it worked.  I denied them entry. They left after a few minutes and never showed up again. And Comcast never contacted me about them either, so .... :dontknow:

Comcast are known thieves, not impersonators! ;)

don't let em in. there was just an alert on glouster twp's farcebook page about a month or so ago. someone got robbed this way. they were posing as someone from the water company. when they had to go upstairs to check the spigots up there, someone else came in and stole shit from downstairs. they looked legit, with id and everything.

that all said, IF i answer the door when i'm not expecting anyone, it is one of the very few times i'm carrying open. i don't generally answer the door though, unless i'm expecting someone. mom has been told to not answer the door when she's up here, and i'm not home for this very reason.

If I'm no home no one comes in the house.  I have two angry Bullmastiff in case anyone would want to push their way in they'll most likely get killed/maimed.  Bullmastiff are notoriously territorial home protectors.  In fact they make me so happy I should get another one.  Why waste ammo when the dogs can get a treat?

I wasn't home.  My wife isn't nearly as suspicious or inquisitive as I am.  She just told them she wasn't interested, we have gas heat.   She didn't ask who they are from or inspect their information.  She probably cracked the door, but as a safety test, she gets an F-.

I have a contact at the Vernon police and I forwarded these photos to him, I've not heard back.

You won't unless they actually get into someone's house and get caught in the act.

Something like this (Door Club) set so it lets the door open an inch or so to talk ....or better....an intercom so the wife can keep the door closed and locked while she tells the uninvited trash to go away ...might be good to have.

That and a loaded AR15 on a tactical sling.

The-Door-Club-Home-Security-Lock-e3a9a19

Luckily, my wife is even less likely to open the door for anyone than I am.  If I am not expecting company, I do not answer the door, period.  She would never let someone in, and would be likely to call the cops and grab her gun in the meantime. 

Conversely, these people could have been going around to see who was home and who wasnt.  (i know, the cynic in me)..

I did have a couple of people who claimed to be from Comcast (even with a Comcast  branded truck) seeking entry to "inspect" the wiring, believing that I was "causing interference". They had some kind of device with an antenna on it that I had no idea what it was or how it worked.  I denied them entry. They left after a few minutes and never showed up again. And Comcast never contacted me about them either, so ....  :dontknow:

Comcast uses technology that allows them to detect signal leakage and other impairments.  Exterior splitters and ground blocks are often the cause but as a standard practice, signal measurements are to be taken at the input to the box or tv.

This may have been legit.

Comcast uses technology that allows them to detect signal leakage and other impairments.  Exterior splitters and ground blocks are often the cause but as a standard practice, signal measurements are to be taken at the input to the box or tv.

This may have been legit.

In that case, I would have expected Comcast to contact me in advance, indicating they were coming to inspect. How would they know I was home, otherwise? These guys just showed up out of nowhere, and neither showed me any official ID.  And when I denied them entry, they didn't push back, fight it or threaten to disconnect my service.

They weren't getting in.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Yeah, Maggie isn't going to stop anyone. Ha, ha, ha!

In that case, I would have expected Comcast to contact me in advance, indicating they were coming to inspect. How would they know I was home, otherwise? These guys just showed up out of nowhere, and neither showed me any official ID.  And when I denied them entry, they didn't push back, fight it or threaten to disconnect my service.

They weren't getting in.

I can't answer that. 

Comcast has technology for that too, obviously.

LOL