Porthole

California deputy loses AR-15 rifle, tweets public for help

7 hours before he notices the rifle is missing. But at least they did not call it an assault rifle.

http://www.policeone.com/social-media-for-cops/articles/69727006-Calif-deputy-loses-AR-15-rifle-tweets-public-for-help?nlid=&utm_source=iContact&utm_medium=email&utm_content=TopNewsRight4Title&utm_campaign=P1Member&cub_id=usr_0Aq0MZizB8YNAfcl

Los Angeles Times

ALISO VIEJO, Calif. — An Orange County sheriff’s deputy lost his AR-15 assault rifle Tuesday after placing it on the trunk lid of his patrol car and driving off, a sheriff's official said Wednesday. 

The unnamed deputy was starting his shift around 7 p.m. Tuesday at the Southwest Operations Division's Aliso Viejo station and preparing his equipment for patrol, according to sheriff's spokesman Lt. Jeff Hallock.

he deputy had placed the rifle, inside its case, on the trunk lid of his patrol car when he became distracted and drove off to conduct his patrol shift in Aliso Viejo and Laguna Hills. It wasn't until 3:15 a.m. Wednesday, nearly eight hours later, that the lawman realized his weapon was missing.

A search for the missing rifle was launched immediately. 

"Numerous resources including reserve deputies, bloodhounds and investigative personnel immediately began a search of the area in and around the station as well as retracing the streets he drove on," the sheriff's department said in a prepared release.

The search for the rifle continues, and the sheriff's department appealed to the public Wednesday for help in locating the weapon.

The rifle is described as a black, semiautomatic, .223-caliber Colt AR-15. It was inside a black nylon rifle bag along with three loaded magazines. The rifle’s serial number is A0091856.

"Anyone with information or who locates the weapon is asked to immediately call the Orange County Sheriff's Department at (714) 647-7000," the department said. "Anonymous tips may also be submitted to Orange County Crime Stoppers at 855-TIP-OCCS (885-847-6227).

The loss of the rifle search comes as deputies from the same department launched an intense probe into the disappearance of three inmates who escaped the agency’s lockup facility in downtown Santa Ana.

The absence of the men — Jonathan Tieu, 20, Bac Duong, 43, and Hossein Nayeri, 37 — went unnoticed for at least 16 hours Friday before jail staff discovered they were missing during a nightly count of inmates.

Authorities are still looking for the escapees.

7 hours before he notices the rifle is missing. But at least they did not call it an assault rifle.

http://www.policeone.com/social-media-for-cops/articles/69727006-Calif-deputy-loses-AR-15-rifle-tweets-public-for-help?nlid=&utm_source=iContact&utm_medium=email&utm_content=TopNewsRight4Title&utm_campaign=P1Member&cub_id=usr_0Aq0MZizB8YNAfcl

Los Angeles Times

ALISO VIEJO, Calif. — An Orange County sheriff’s deputy lost his AR-15 assault rifle Tuesday after placing it on the trunk lid of his patrol car and driving off, a sheriff's official said Wednesday. 

The unnamed deputy was starting his shift around 7 p.m. Tuesday at the Southwest Operations Division's Aliso Viejo station and preparing his equipment for patrol, according to sheriff's spokesman Lt. Jeff Hallock.

he deputy had placed the rifle, inside its case, on the trunk lid of his patrol car when he became distracted and drove off to conduct his patrol shift in Aliso Viejo and Laguna Hills. It wasn't until 3:15 a.m. Wednesday, nearly eight hours later, that the lawman realized his weapon was missing.

A search for the missing rifle was launched immediately. 

"Numerous resources including reserve deputies, bloodhounds and investigative personnel immediately began a search of the area in and around the station as well as retracing the streets he drove on," the sheriff's department said in a prepared release.

The search for the rifle continues, and the sheriff's department appealed to the public Wednesday for help in locating the weapon.

The rifle is described as a black, semiautomatic, .223-caliber Colt AR-15. It was inside a black nylon rifle bag along with three loaded magazines. The rifle’s serial number is A0091856.

"Anyone with information or who locates the weapon is asked to immediately call the Orange County Sheriff's Department at (714) 647-7000," the department said. "Anonymous tips may also be submitted to Orange County Crime Stoppers at 855-TIP-OCCS (885-847-6227).

The loss of the rifle search comes as deputies from the same department launched an intense probe into the disappearance of three inmates who escaped the agency’s lockup facility in downtown Santa Ana.

The absence of the men — Jonathan Tieu, 20, Bac Duong, 43, and Hossein Nayeri, 37 — went unnoticed for at least 16 hours Friday before jail staff discovered they were missing during a nightly count of inmates.

Authorities are still looking for the escapees.

???

Finders Keepers - Losers Weepers

Tell that to the guy who kept the rifles that FedEx delivered to the wrong address.

So, question. How do bloodhounds help in the situation? Do the sniff for gunpowder? Powdered sugar residue? /joke.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey accidents happen, how many times have you left your fully automatic baby killer on the trunk of your car. More times than you can remember right. 

He should have just gone to Walmart, bought another one to replace it and not said anything. O yeah that's right you can't buy them in CA because that state is run by and occupied by a bunch of fuckin gerbil killers. Twitter? Seriously? Can't wait till that state gets eaten by the ocean. 

Hey accidents happen, how many times have you left your fully automatic baby killer on the trunk of your car. More times than you can remember right. 

He should have just gone to Walmart, bought another one to replace it and not said anything. O yeah that's right you can't buy them in CA because that state is run by and occupied by a bunch of fuckin gerbil killers. Twitter? Seriously? Can't wait till that state gets eaten by the ocean. 

I always thought buying property in NV would be useful one day.  I'd like some beach front property without the liberal scum in CA.

How do you ever trust someone like this with a firearm again? Accidents happen, but sorry, this one should disqualify you from a career that requires handling guns.

The cynic in me says he waited 8 hours to report it so his blood alcohol level would get back to normal...

Serves them right for being politically correct stupid and keeping the gun in a case in the trunk. If it was mounted in the patrol unit, this would not have happened.

Hey Paul...Remember when when the shot gun was mounted standing muzzle up in the passenger seat?

What an ash tray...LOL

Finders Keepers - Losers Weepers

THIS^^^^^

THIS^^^^^^

How do you ever trust someone like this with a firearm again? Accidents happen, but sorry, this one should disqualify you from a career that requires handling guns.

The cynic in me says he waited 8 hours to report it so his blood alcohol level would get back to normal...

AND THIS^^^

Hilarious

Free ar. I can honestly say I'd turn it in if I found out it was a pd's gun. But I would probably have to fight off some real temptation. You could strip it down and destroy the lower and it's no longer a stolen gun.

Free ar. I can honestly say I'd turn it in if I found out it was a pd's gun. But I would probably have to fight off some real temptation. You could strip it down and destroy the lower and it's no longer a stolen gun.

You could also keep a pile of money or a wedding ring you saw laying around in the corner of a church.

It's nice to try to get people their stuff back.

You could also keep a pile of money or a wedding ring you saw laying around in the corner of a church.

101% agree with Mipa on this. I have found more than a few things of value if my life and always returned them at my own expense when I could identify the owner. Never wanting or accepting a reward.

If found in a store, to the manager, on the street to the local PD. It's just the way I was raised by a very honest Police Officer! My Dad.

I found a box of tools laying in the road. It was a mix of snap on and craftsman. It looked like it belonged to a small engine repairman. I called the Pd and left my number is anyone reported em missing. Nobody ever did so they are mine.

It's always nice to do that when it's unlikely to get you thrown in jail, like when you report finding a wedding ring.

If you were to find this stolen AR ditched on the side of the road in CA and call it in, there's a non-zero chance you would be arrested on suspicion of being the thief or for simple possession of a prohibited firearm, because there's little proof you didn't put it there. That alone makes the risk greater than the warm fuzzy reward I would get from getting the stolen property back to its owner.

If I saw it, I'd leave it, shake my head "tsk", move on with my life.

Now most other states, and it's a different story...

I know the deputy screwed up big time but I do feel sorry for him. He's going through hell. Derservedly so but still going through hell. I hope they recovered it. If you were to find it & turn it in, you wouldn't get into any trouble. Believe me, they'd be very appreciative!

Damn quite a few people here who have never accidentally lost something before. I am willing to bet that it happens quite often in the free world. How many of you have lost your wallet, knife, cell phone , or car keys before? Personally I have lost all of them at one time or another. When you carry something with you day in and day out people tend to get complacent. How many PA residents forget that they have a CCW in their car or purse and drive into NJ? Probably allot more than we know about. While I do not think it's excusable for the officer to lose his rifle I can see how it can happen. I know of a few instances where hunters have done the exact same thing and lost their shotgun. If I found an AR or any other firearm laying out in public I would simply call the police right away and stay there to make sure no one elce touched it. I would not touch the gun in any way. I don't think that I would be arrested for reporting a found gun especially if the police were missing the one I found. I guess im not from the all cops are bad and pass my tinfoil hat crew.

Damn quite a few people here who have never accidentally lost something before. I am willing to bet that it happens quite often in the free world. How many of you have lost your wallet, knife, cell phone , or car keys before? Personally I have lost all of them at one time or another. When you carry something with you day in and day out people tend to get complacent. How many PA residents forget that they have a CCW in their car or purse and drive into NJ? Probably allot more than we know about. While I do not think it's excusable for the officer to lose his rifle I can see how it can happen. I know of a few instances where hunters have done the exact same thing and lost their shotgun. If I found an AR or any other firearm laying out in public I would simply call the police right away and stay there to make sure no one elce touched it. I would not touch the gun in any way. I don't think that I would be arrested for reporting a found gun especially if the police were missing the one I found. I guess im not from the all cops are bad and pass my tinfoil hat crew.

Well said...I can't help but think about all the parents that forget they have their child in the car. I know folks get complacent about things they do day in and day out. Unacceptable I know, but it happens. I bet this deputy is going through hell just with his buddies on the force. He'll never live it down....or do it again!