Lambo2936

"End of the world"/SHTF Ammo: What would you buy?

I'm sure there's been a discussion like this, but of course i couldn't find it. I'm trying to start building up an inventory of a fair/large (depending on the person, i suppose) supply of ammunition for SHTF scenario's (i'd probably be screwed being up in Woodbridge in a darn Trailer/Mobile home) as well as "Another liberal president/governor" Scenarios (quite likely), and am not quite sure what to get.
There's some good IMI 5.56 out there for only 32 cents a piece (just a hair over the 30 cents a piece i pay for 223 Wolf Gold) that i wanted to get. I'm an American Born Israeli citizen, so it's cool to support my family over there, too, rather than Ukraine or russia or whatever. I've heard its good stuff, so right now i'm basically torn between either picking up a case of 1200 of the IMI 5.56, or going for more of the cheap Wolf Polyformance/military classic steel cased stuff. I realize it does cause more wear to barrels, but if there's another huge shortage (bound to happen) or they make it impossible to order ammo online shipped to nj (even more likely to happen), more is, well, more, plus, my understanding is the ammo savings>the cost of a new barrel.
My rifle is a Sig M400, thinking of picking up a DD rifle as well. The steel cased stuff would PROBABLY just sit in the safe anyways in case its impossible to get new stuff/i dont have the money for more brass cased. The IMI, i would probably shoot and just make sure to stay on top of inventory of that stuff.
Depending on my financial situation, i may spend a bit more and get a thousand rounds of steel cased for emergencies anyways, and just leave the box sitting right in the bottom of the safe.

What would you do/suggest? I'll be picking up more .45 and .223 as well. Not sure i'll get more 3006, though i may while i am ordering, as well as 9mm for a 995 i was going to get. I'm just really iffy about the steel cased stuff. I'm no reloader, but i have always been big with scrapping and have already been saving tons of casings, regardless of their condition (Ones that have been stepped on, etc).
Thanks folks.

• Like 1

Myself, I bought up a ton of IMI-made XM193. It's loaded hot and it's consistent. But truthfully, in a SHTF scenario, I'd be far more concerned about the training junkies with 500 rounds than stockpiling 20K. My point being, spend some money learning to fight with your guns rather than just feeding them. I'm also of the opinion that a SHTF scenario requires that you reload or at least have the equipment and knowledge to use it.

I intend on picking up a ton of .22LR too for the SW 15-22 i have.
I have no intention of buying 20k rounds, though. I have about 1,000 of .223 right now; enough for a few months of shooting. I intend on picking up a few thousand more hopefully by the end of the year. 20k is a bit much, i would think.
I will certainly be picking up a box or so of 12ga as well. I Know what to get for 12 and .22, my issue is with .223, since there is such a huge variety. Same for 9mm and .45, i suppose.

I have a stockpile of .22LR already and several guns that can use it.  For "fighting ammo" I have a few hundred rounds of non-ball .223/5.56.  Shotgun I have a bunch of buckshot and some slugs.  Birdshot I have a ton of but that's not a good defensive round.  Pistol calibers I keep a good stock of defense rounds as well.

Now seems to be a good time to stock up, prices (except maybe for 22lr) are relatively low. Next November prices might be skyrocketing, assuming some other nutjob doesn't go full retard in the meantime. I was stunned at how quickly ammo disappeared for months after Sandy Hook, not only 22lr but also 9mm. As long as you store it well, its not like it goes bad.

Everyone (including the antis) know that firearms without ammunition are just clubs. You can still mail order ammunition for now so you might as well pick up some extra when you can.

That being said, I'm a fan of brass case ammo but YMMV.

I'm thinking i'll stick with Brass cased, mainly because in an End-of-the-world scenario, steel will rust, etc..
I'll definitely be stocking up on quite a bit by the election. Ammo won't be getting any cheaper, and with the elections and what not coming about, who knows what will happen.
Thanks for chiming in everyone, keep the suggestions & Info coming!

9mm .... 'cause the whole family would have one or two

5.56/223 .... 'cause we might all have one of those as well

22LR ......'cause the ammo travels well a cubic foot of it is a lot of rounds... Should nothing else be left.

12ga 00 and slugs ..... Deer to some extent.... Unwanted guests

12ga 2 shot... They'll probably be a lot more geese than open Wawa's

i ALWAYS save the brass, haha.
I like the idea of stocking up on a few thousand rounds of .22.
You guys have any suggestions for a .22lr Rifle? I have a S&W 15-22. I'd like something with a decent capacity of 10-15 rds. When SHTF and you get into a firefight, you don't want to be reloading every 5 rounds. Haha. Might pick up another 15-22  just to setup as a CQB type rifle for shitty scenarios.
Very unlikely it'll happen, but its an excuse... :D

i ALWAYS save the brass, haha.

I like the idea of stocking up on a few thousand rounds of .22.

You guys have any suggestions for a .22lr Rifle? I have a S&W 15-22. I'd like something with a decent capacity of 10-15 rds. When SHTF and you get into a firefight, you don't want to be reloading every 5 rounds. Haha. Might pick up another 15-22  just to setup as a CQB type rifle for shitty scenarios.

Very unlikely it'll happen, but its an excuse... :D

Either the original Glenfield Mod 60 or the later "Marlin" are a really good choice in my opinion.  14 round Tube Mag.  If you buy one from out of state, check the mag capacity before it is in your hands. Originals held 18 rounds.

Just noticed this thread. The title is a little askew. If the shtf, you wouldn't be buying anything. You better have it already. If you want to buy it, you better be prepared to sell something worth more.

Things that may work:

Extra weapons, ammo trades, blood, medicine, your spouse, etc.

Things that won't work:

Your left nut, your first born, your right nut, money, gold.

This has been a SHTF Public Announcement.

Carry On! ;)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Myself, I bought up a ton of IMI-made XM193. It's loaded hot and it's consistent. But truthfully, in a SHTF scenario, I'd be far more concerned about the training junkies with 500 rounds than stockpiling 20K. My point being, spend some money learning to fight with your guns rather than just feeding them. I'm also of the opinion that a SHTF scenario requires that you reload or at least have the equipment and knowledge to use it.

This! 

Just noticed this thread. The title is a little askew. If the shtf, you wouldn't be buying anything. You better have it already. If you want to buy it, you better be prepared to sell something worth more.

Things that may work:

Extra weapons, ammo trades, blood, medicine, your spouse, etc.

Things that won't work:

Your left nut, your first born, your right nut, money, gold.

This has been a SHTF Public Announcement.

Carry On! ;)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Worded improperly; my point was what to buy right now for what my happen in the future, haha.

WTF does it matter? You're gonna die anyway.

Oh well I'll play along. "22 long rifle is the ultimate sur-vah-val round." Provided you have a .22-chambered gun. And something, anything, with enough stopping power so you only have to fire once -- assuming you hit your target. Finally, any decent-caliber rifle round (assuming you have the hardware), for firing long-range at neighborhood invaders before they storm your house and eat you and your family alive.

Remember: The future belongs to those who prepare for it -- TODAY!

• Like 1

Yeah i definitely have to stock up on some more ammo. I have a savage 111 in 30-06, which i'll probably replace with a rem 700 in the future. Two .223 AR's, and a 15-22, so i have those three covered. Got a .45 1911, too, for good measure. 
I'd like a 308 AR, but not necessary. Probably pick up another 22 in the future as well.

realistically... if a SHTF scenario really happened... wouldn't the vast majority of us be on the road?  how much ammo could you possibly take with you along with other necessities with your families? 

realistically... if a SHTF scenario really happened... wouldn't the vast majority of us be on the road?

It depends. If you are setup to, you might want to stay in place in your house. The roads might be massively blocked anyway and gas might not be available (Think about what it was like with Sandy).

I completely agree with you.

For me - a lot of my neighbors are complete asshats and would probably make situations worse in one way or another.  *IF* if were possible, I'd try to get my family out early to a friends place or to a relatives that are like-minded... but that gets me to thinking of what and how much stuff I could actually pack in the family SUV.

lol...  thinking wayyyy too much of the walking dead with this

Realistically I guess we wouldn't really be safe anywhere depending on the threat we're encountered with.  Reminiscing on hurricane sandy... yeah... things can get bad pretty fast and roads get jammed up even quicker.  This thread makes me want to bulletproof the exterior of this house and build a bunker beneath it.

It never got off topic.. All related, if you ask me..
Just trying to come up with some sort of SHTF to-do list. I have an F150 super crew 4x4 with a 5.5' bed and cap, so i can fit a fair amount of crap in there. I live in Woodbridge in a mobile home community, so it's a fairly shitty area to be in with paper thin walls and being vulnerable in general. I'd probably have to risk driving down to east brunswick where at least i have some family, and my parents house is brick so its fairly secure. In reality, way too many entry points be it windows, rear entrance which is a sliding glass door, etc.. Definitely not the best location to hunker down. I'd probably go there, meet with them, and take the two trucks out to the boonies.. Problem is, like you guy's said the roads would be so backed up in reality that we wouldn't be able to really get anywhere. Maybe i should get a big push bar on the front of my truck mounted directly to the frame instead of my winch and light bar mount.

^ auxiliary fuel tank to extend your range. Realistically though if your trying to get out after the shit hit the fan your too late. Have a plan already in place with your family with meeting places already determined and the moment things go sideways. Then practice loading up quickly and getting there with your whole family.