Sign in to follow this  
The_Matrix

How many guns is too much?

I dont know. up to 3 rifles and 5 handguns now... dont think it is enough... well, lets put it this way, I am ok for in case the SHTF, but...

its a want to have list...

On my list right now are...

Smith 686 revolver, or its pro series version

Browning High Power 9mm

Smith 1911 Pro series 9mm

a nice refinished dragunov, original russian,

and my list down the road, wouldnt mind having.....

Desert Eagle 50ae

a nice ar with optics

I've only just started my collection. So, I couldn't really give you much of a justified opinion. Maybe its too many when you wake up in the morning, and it just strikes you for no reason? :lol:

In terms of wish list items, I only have one myself. I just want a black rifle, which I would have purchased initially, I just felt like putting the one PP I had to use. But yea, a black rifle with the works.

I can't imagine having too many guns.

Everyone should have:

1. 12ga shotgun

2. .22 rifle

3. A "combat" pistol of some sort that is 9mm and upwards in power.

4. A bolt action long range rifle. Think 30.06, .308, 22-250

5. A black rifle of some sort.

Beyond that, you start to get into specific purpose firearms

-small ones for concealing

-specific weapons for hunting like Turkey guns or goose hunting.

-super high power pistols like the .454 casull for protection from large mammals

-night stand weapons like a .357/.44 magnum loaded with Cor-Bon

-specific rifling/loads/floating and bedding etc. for target shooting

-specific calibers for extremely long range hunting like .325wsm

-Fun with a 50bmg

It never ends. Beyond the basics, they all can have a place. If you own a gun and never shoot it, that's just an extra gun that you don't like. It doesn't mean you have too many.

When you can post pictures of 5 firearms of the same type to any... "what XXXXXX variants are NJ Legal." threads. ;) at that point.... you are pretty close? or at least comfy.

Reminds me of the movie "tremors" where they show Burts house with all of the guns in the basement. I want that.

Let me put a different spin on this and see what everyone else thinks.

Since last November I've purchased four handguns and two rifles. I'm thinking about a shotgun in the near future, a Ruger Mini-14 sometime down the road and some kind of revolver when i can get a permit. The problem is that sometimes late at night I start worrying that buying anymore guns so soon is going to get me on some "lone terrorist" watch list. This isn't going to stop me from buying what I want (my son says that if there is a list I'm probably already on it :lol: ) but I'm wondering if anyone else has felt this kind of paronoia.

I think there are 2 groups that this question applies to. For the true collector, there's probably no limit. I've see photos of collections from some of the members here, and they're very impressive. I doubt if any of those people would ever say that they have enough specimens in their collection, even if they only rarely fire any of them.

For the rest of us, I don't really know. There are a few more handguns I'd like to own, and become a decent shooter with, and probably 2 or 3 rifles just to have the reach at the range and to participate in some long gun activities, but that's probably it for me. I don't think I'll ever make the transition from "casual shooter" to collector. I just don't have the urge.

Ken

Over the years I've probably owned around two hundred firearms. Never more than thirty at one time (usually half that). I like to try new things within my specific interests. I also bore easily. I'm not the kind of guy that will try to convince myself that a POS is anything more. Right now the safe is pretty lean. But I do thoroughly enjoy everything on my side of it.

Funds,space, and I guess interest will determine what is too much.

As long as the bills are paid, food on the table, and money in the bank, then I will never stop buying guns!

Or unless she says, "what the hell do you need that for!"

Food on the table? Money in the bank? Bills paid??? C'mon man...get your priorities right, guns come first!

Maybe before the baby, but I gotta feed her before I feed the AR, XD or Beretta's!