magic7

RTSP Firearms

Do you have to fill out one of those waivers every time you shoot at the range? Gosh, I hope not.

I understand the "no rapid fire" rule but the "3 sec b/t every shot" is a little too much. Hopefully that one is not enforced too strictly.

No, just the first time there.

Don't take things so literal. No one is sitting there timing you between shots lol. Just go have fun, all there is to it.

Yeah, with those rules and with all the extra miles I'd have to drive, I'll be sticking to the Bullethole if I need to go to an indoor range. Otherwise, I believe Cherry Ridge will be getting my membership money.

Don't take things so literal. No one is sitting there timing you between shots lol. Just go have fun, all there is to it.

Agreed. I'm pretty certain I was shooting a few mags faster than 1 shot every 3 seconds. More like 1 shot every 1.5-2 seconds, haha. But anyhow, a little common sense goes a long way. Just be considerate to others, I think is the key.

I do have a question about ammo though. The rules said no aluminum cased rounds, like Blazers. But in the big can with all the empty brass, I definitely saw a lot of Blazer casings in there. So what's the final word on this rule?

Understood. Thanks for clearing that up Joltin Joe. I hate being patrolled by the range officers while I am shooting. One RO at the Bullet Hole stopped me from shooting my 1911 b/c I was shooting headshots on a Q target. I looked at him like he was crazy but thats written in their rules so if they want to enforce them then so be it. With that being said, I never had any other RO at Bullet Hole try to enforce the "no headshot rule" with me.

Also, if you dont know how to control your firearm in terms of handling recoil and muzzle flip then you have no business doing rapid fire strings. That one should definitely be enforced to the shooters that are trying to do something above their skill level. That should be a subjective call on the RO. I dont do "rapid fire" but I like to practice controlled pair shooting at the center of mass of the target.

Everything I have dealt with and seen there shows this place is as customer friendly with the rules as they come.

One person was asking about shooting aluminum cased rounds and one of the owners was like sure, just try and gather them all up so they aren't mixed in with the brass. His reasoning had to do with who they pay to come pick up their brass and that company won't sort. Fair enough to me

Someone asked about the head shots once, they said if you can hit the target go ahead. Just don't shoot our rails/hangers. I've shot head shots every time I have gone to the range there.

And with the rapid fire, another person I went with asked about shooting rapid fire. One of the owners said if you want to do it when it's not busy, just give us a heads up and that's fine by us. We just don't want people shooting rapid fire with 9 lanes filled and unexperienced people down the lane going, "hey that's sweet let me try that" then shooting up the ceiling.

If your a safe handler with your gun. A half decent shooter with accuracy. And most of all, you go there and ASK, not complain on the internet... They will let you do whatever you want. That just seems to be my experience with them.

What does "all brass must be marked when removing from range?" I pickup my brass since I reload.

i don't reload but asked them anyway about collecting your own brass. they basically said it's fine, as long as you tell them in advance that you will be collecting your brass. they really are very user friendly, specially if you have experience and seem to know what you're doing.

Agreed. I'm pretty certain I was shooting a few mags faster than 1 shot every 3 seconds. More like 1 shot every 1.5-2 seconds, haha. But anyhow, a little common sense goes a long way. Just be considerate to others, I think is the key.

I believe the no rapid fire has more to do with the baffles.

What does "all brass must be marked when removing from range?" I pickup my brass since I reload.

I took this to mean "mark your ammo with a sharpie before shooting". That way you only pick up what YOU shot, not a flier from the guy in the next lane.

I guess they get a good price for brass scrap.

Everything I have dealt with and seen there shows this place is as customer friendly with the rules as they come.

One person was asking about shooting aluminum cased rounds and one of the owners was like sure, just try and gather them all up so they aren't mixed in with the brass. His reasoning had to do with who they pay to come pick up their brass and that company won't sort. Fair enough to me

Someone asked about the head shots once, they said if you can hit the target go ahead. Just don't shoot our rails/hangers. I've shot head shots every time I have gone to the range there.

And with the rapid fire, another person I went with asked about shooting rapid fire. One of the owners said if you want to do it when it's not busy, just give us a heads up and that's fine by us. We just don't want people shooting rapid fire with 9 lanes filled and unexperienced people down the lane going, "hey that's sweet let me try that" then shooting up the ceiling.

If your a safe handler with your gun. A half decent shooter with accuracy. And most of all, you go there and ASK, not complain on the internet... They will let you do whatever you want. That just seems to be my experience with them.

I went to RTSP for the first time last Friday. I certainly did not observe the 3 second shot rule or no head shot rule from anyone shooting that day. In fact, there was no range officer in the range while I was there and some yahoos were blasting away rapid fire and I clearly saw white puffs coming from the ceiling panels. IMO, the rules are not enforced to the point that there is lackluster range safety at times. I understand that they are thinly staffed as they build their business, but I will feel more comfortable if/when a range officer is present in the range to keep the wild ones in check.

It's a beautiful range though and I got a membership.

i don't reload but asked them anyway about collecting your own brass. they basically said it's fine, as long as you tell them in advance that you will be collecting your brass. they really are very user friendly, specially if you have experience and seem to know what you're doing.

im sorry but i will not tell anyone that im going to pick up my brass before leaving! F that stupid rule! Its none of there damn business

• Like 2

im sorry but i will not tell anyone that im going to pick up my brass before leaving! F that stupid rule! Its none of there damn business

Look at it this way, if there are other shooters, say 2 shooters in the rightmost ports...if you mention you're going to pick up your brass, they can position you a few ports away as to not get all the brass mixed up.

• Like 1

I went to RTSP this past Friday AND Saturday. Hmmm, maybe having a range so close to my house is not such a good idea! I just absolutely love this place. Even though I'm a member, I went Saturday morning after 10 because I had a non-member friend with me. It wasn't that crowded. I'd say half the lanes were occupied when we were there.

I've got a lot of friends that are interested in the range because I tell everyone I see about it. In fact, my wife - who has no interest in shooting - told her friends about my hobby and they ALL want to go to the range ASAP. Of course, their husbands will go too. Good Lord, what kind of monster have I created? Seriously, I think it's fantastic and it's just what New Jersey needs: more citizens that understand and support shooting sports and the right and responsibility of owning firearms. I consider my efforts part of a bigger movement to promote acceptance of firearms in NJ. Start at the grass roots level and maybe someday NJ won't be among the worst states to own a gun. Most non-shooters I talk to (mostly women) have an image of gun ranges as dark and dusty dungeons. RTSP blows that image away. And the fact that they are on FaceBook really makes it more normal to them since they are on FB all the time. (I am not trying to be sexist, it's a fact among my friends). Anyway, it's a good thing!

On a side note: I have my eye on the Beretta 92FS Inox in the gun case. The price is $700, which seems to be pretty good compared to other places I've checked. That's good to know.

U got that backwards, no one pays to get rid of brass!!! that's gotta be the dumbest thing i've ever herd! basically, they get your brass for free, and they sell it either as scrap, or they will sort it and sell them for reloading. RSTP doesn't want to sort through the brass they get for free and then sell, because they cant sell mixed metals. No one gives away money, and certainly no one pays someone to take money. brass=money. Hell if they are paying someone to take it, i will take it for free, and i will take it all and sort it myself...problem solved!

I pick up all my casings because they belong to me, period. i don't reload, but one day if and when i do, i will have plenty of casings to use, why throw them away..... collect them and sell them to re-loaders if you never plan on reloading. Thats money u can use to buy more ammo, otherwise its like dumping out your change jar on the range floor.

And i agree with others, there is no point in telling them you are picking up your brass. They should assume everyone takes their brass, and be happy when people leave it.

Don't get me wrong, these guys could be the friendliest people to deal with, but some of this seems kinda lame to me. A waiver? really? that is more paper work then actually buying a gun. Post the rules on the range door, and kick people out when they break them. Reading through the waiver, RSTP is attempting to pass all liability to their customers. Just read #5 on the waiver. I would never sign something excusing RSTP from responsibility of other customers not following the rules.

Arent visitor passes included with membership?

Edit: or maybe your friend couldnt make the early hours

We were shooting in separate lanes. I believe guest passes are only valid when sharing a lane with a member. Besides, you're right - before 10 was too early for us!

Don't get me wrong, these guys could be the friendliest people to deal with, but some of this seems kinda lame to me. A waiver? really? that is more paper work then actually buying a gun. Post the rules on the range door, and kick people out when they break them. Reading through the waiver, RSTP is attempting to pass all liability to their customers. Just read #5 on the waiver. I would never sign something excusing RSTP from responsibility of other customers not following the rules.

I think most ranges have you sign a waiver the first time you go? I am sure it is for insurance purposes so when you shoot yourself in the foot, they can prove you said you knew the rules. I know at Shore Shot and Brick a** Armory they no it. It is like when we go racing we sign a waiver saying racing is dangerous and we aren't going to sue them when we flip our car.

Just read #5 on the waiver. I would never sign something excusing RSTP from responsibility of other customers not following the rules.

seriously? if some knucklehead DOESN'T know what he's doing and injuries YOU while breaking the rules, then RTSP isnt responsible? -WTF!

I think most ranges have you sign a waiver the first time you go?

Bullet Hole and Bayonne don't.

I don't see anything wrong with the waiver per se, but why they need anything more than a name and a signature is beyond me.

Bullet Hole and Bayonne don't. I don't see anything wrong with the waiver per se, but why they need anything more than a name and a signature is beyond me.

They want to appeal to a certain clientele... and avoid attracting those who go shoot on other nearby 'open to the public' ranges.

If you don't like the policy, just vote with your wallet and don't go there. Personally, I won't mind if a lot of people don't go...less crowd means more trigger time for me. This is one case where a signed piece of paper won't stop me from going back there.

If you don't like the policy, just vote with your wallet and don't go there. Personally, I won't mind if a lot of people don't go...less crowd means more trigger time for me. This is one case where a signed piece of paper won't stop me from going back there.

Be careful what you wish for. If membership dwindles too much, guess who's paying more to pick up the slack?

I like the place. I just think it sucks shooting indoors next to the guy with either the 12 gauge or AR. Yeah I get it. It's a gun range. But other than finding out your weapon works, what is it going to tell you to shoot a rifle at 25 yards? Congratulations, you just made a lot of noise and learned nothing about how your weapon groups at realistic rifle range distances. So now that we established you're not really here to practice shooting, you should stay home and light m80s in your garage with the door closed.

It may be annoying to you, but people shoot what they like to shoot, they paid there money also, and what if they don't belong to one of the clubs or are just don't get out to the longer OD ranges.

A nice thing to do is strike up a conversation with them and ask them a couple questions and see what they are doing, or mention an outdoor range that would be great for a gun like that. They may be new in the area, or just not know what's out there. You just don't know till you ask.

• Like 5

Unless I feel like driving over an hour each way, a 25-yard maximum indoor range is my only option. I'm usually at the range 2-3 times per week. If I had to travel that far each time, I would go to the range no more than once or twice a month. Shooting my rifles, shotguns and pistols indoors at no greater than 25-yards is better than not shooting them at all as far as I'm concerned.