Jm2766

Ruger 10/22 or Remington 597

I would suggest the Ruger 10/22. It is the standard and you can do just about anything you want with it through aftermarket parts. In fact, I think you can build one with all aftermarket parts and NO Ruger parts. In my experience, Rugers are reliable (as reliable as a rimfire can be), and I personally like the rotary magazines that snap in flush. I don't think the 597 magazines are made very well. So, for me the main reason would be the difference in magazines. And, in the long run, the distance in cost will be insignificant. However, you can get a tactical version of the 597 for a lot cheaper than a tactical 10/22. However, the Ruger will hold its value, better, I think.

But, as many have stated, getting a firearm is a personal thing. The 597 is a good looking rifle and has nice lines. Also, the stock that it comes with might just feel better in your hands. Also, I think it has dual guide rods.

My choice, though would be to get a Ruger 10/22 and then get an aftermarket Hogue stock for it. And, for just plinking, I would get the standard barrel and not the heavier barrelled target version. And, for a versatile package (but you would be stuck with the stock stock and probably would not be able to use most of the aftermarket products available to the 10/22 which is a big plus for the 10/22) you might want to check out one of the new take-down versions, but I think they are over-priced. And, although I don't think the newer Rugers with plastic parts are made as well as the older used one you can get, I think they come with an extended magazine release that the older one's don't have. However, you can easily put one into an older one.

If you are looking for an alternative to a Ruger, I would consider a Savage Mark II bolt-action rifle or a Marlin 60. semi-automatic, as well.

10/22. Tons of after-market goodies if one is so inclined to add-on, upgrade or enhance the basic configuration. The base-model stock is somewhat small and undersized but I find it adequate and its small size is perfect for carrying in the hardwoods for squirrel. Scoped and with the right ammo, it is a handy hunting arm.

Of those two 10/22 hands down. Head over to the rimfirecentral forum and you'll have your fill of ruger fanatics with all types of support for any questions.

If youre open to other suggestions, depending on your intended use, the s&w m&p 15-22 is a really fun plinker on an AR platform.

When we were looking for a 22 I fondled both the Remington and Ruger 10/22, and to me the Remington felt more like a gun than the Ruger. The Ruger felt like my Crossman bbgun from when I was a kid. Since I was going to be shooting too I wanted something a little more "substancial."

I have not had the opportunity to shoot either of them.

In the end we got a Henry Lever Action.

10/22s are great. Tons and tons and tons of aftermarket products, though they also shoot fine out of the box.

If you need low-down dirt cheap, you can also go Marlin 60/795. Brand new for $125, used for less. If new, ditch the plastic stock and grab a Boyd's Factory Second or other adult-sized stock for $60 bucks. After some fitting you have serious rifle that will measure up to anything two to three times it's price range.

I'm about to pick up a .22 rifle.

Right now im torn between the m&p, and the 10/22

I dont like the fact that the magazines are huge for the AR, and expensive.

No complaints with the 10/22, but it will take some work to make one to my liking.

I dont want to spend to much on this, so if i go the 10/22 route, how would i go about building one? I can find a stock and trigger group easily, but barrels and receivers seem to be where im lost.

I have a pretty heavily modified 597 and it's absolutely awesome and amazing but it did require some Tender Lovin Care and certainly some Money, Manpower, and Equipment.

The 597 was designed by Remington to be a 10/22 killer, and I happen to just not ever want a 10/22 (Probably BECAUSE of their popularity, to each his own I know, just not for me)... and the 597 Action and the barrels are awesome. In fact the bbl is really where Remington spent the money they had on the 597.

The biggest problem is the extractor. Mine for example basically did not function out of the box. It was so disappointing. I was brand new to buying my own firearms, it was my first longgun, and it just sucked. So it went into the closet, and I bought a Savage Mk II two or three weeks later. Two or three weeks after that I bought a 15-22, and I had no need for my scoped, autoloading junker.

|

About a year later I Decided to do something about it and started research. The Extractor Remington uses is basically junk and should be removed from production. Volquartsen makes an AMAZING aftermarket part, and at the time (3 years ago?) it was like $19.99 ... and they also make a $39.99 Hammer. The VQ Extractor makes the rifle go from non functioning to absolutely perfect IMMEDIATELY .. and the target hammer lightens up trigger pull by 50% and works out any play or creep in the squeezing of the trigger. Amazing. But those two parts are like basically NECESSARY for a 597, I have been posting this on various forums for over two years now, people have come back and thanked me and said, You know you were right, if you just install those two parts its a whole new rifle. Judging it with the factory extractor and hammer is completely different.

Now I chose to go the extra mile so while having those installed I had gunsmith give it a nice TLC once over, also had the scope changed from the included combo scope to a new Nikon ProStaff 4-12x40mm , had sling studs installed, swivels, a regular military silent sling, even a bipod... Then I really had some fun and spray painted the stock my take on digital camo (most people hate it so I guess I didn't do a very good job). it is an amazing rifle now. And short of those $2000+ jobs of fully customed 10/22s it is not afraid of any Ruger guys we meet at the range.

But you kind of have to WANT to go this route, I guess I did. I like upgrading, and I like customizing. (I would say I probably NEED to customize a gun to make me feel comfortable with it), and I also happen to be a big Remington fan and liked buying a Remington rifle (And I just completed my Remington Super Trifecta of owning a 597, 870, and 700 .) Most people seem to want to buy a $2-$300 ~~ 10/22 and be done with it. That just isn't for me but I am understanding of why that might appeal to a broad spectrum.