UNDERSCORE

Why do you have firearms?

A simple question. Why do have firearms? Get down to the nitty gritty of it and don't say 'the Constitution". That's a given.

To answer my own question, I have firearms primarily to protect my family (since no one else can do so especially when the shit hits the fan) and I have firearms to hunt for food should the need arise.

Got into guns because I'm a hunter. Picked up a handgun due to getting my FPID(previously used my family's shotguns to hunt) and was asked if I wanted a P2P. Now I enjoy shooting for fun, competing, like being able to protect my family, and still spend my winters in the woods pursuing game.

I've recently pulled my head out of the sand an become a realist about how unprepared most people are for emergency situations. After the 2011 "weather events," I decided to take the necessary steps to be able to live, with safety and relative comfort, in my house with my family for a short duration of time without outside help. This desire to shelter in place led me to find food (stocked and "aquired), (power for) water, clothing (real gear for the outdoors) and security (firearms). I am not ready for an extended stay with the entire family, but could maintain myself for an extended period of time before having to vacate. Sandy showed me how unprepared my neighbors are and gave me a scorecard for my preparations. I'm not done with everything yet, but will be (hopefully) by summer.

1.Because I can

2.Sport/recreation/hunting

3.Protection

I enjoy the time I get to spend with friends blowing of some steam. My biggest enjoyment probably comes from spending time with my kids teaching them the sport and passing the hobby on. I live in a pretty safe area so protection is never much of a concern. In recent times the only time I have bothered loading a mag at night was during Sandy. A couple of generators had disappeared in the area during the night and nobody was getting mine.

I truly believe though that when it matters you can only depend on yourself. During and after Sandy I saw nobody there to help or even check on the elderly. I have a few neighbors that are 90+ now. It wasn't even that they didn't know what to do they just physically couldn't. If we were to ever end up in a shtf situation all bets are off on getting any help from where people expect.

Originally for my family's protection and while still the primary purpose, I do like shooting,handling and cleaning them.

Small masterpieces of engineering and design that potentially yield such power is somehow intoxicating to me.......

I grew up with guns in the house and it was just a part of life, it continued with me collecting when i moved out. Still just a way/part of my life and always will be. I enjoy shooting them and yes the inevitable protection and hunting for food should the need arise, though this has always been secondary since they have always been around me

Because I was looking for a much more expensive means other than a paper punch to put holes in sheets of paper :)

Also because when seconds count the police are only minutes away.

When I was a kid, my father hunted and I would play dog. When I became a teenager I was given my first shotgun and started actually hunting with my dad. When I was in 8th grade, my school started clubs in school, such as chess club, bowling club, and believe it or not, gun club! Our teacher was actually allowed to bring in historic firearms into the school and give us an education and teach us safety and an appreciation of firearms. (Can't do that nowadays!!!) I now own a few shotguns, rifles & pistols and I have taught my family and some friends how to shoot and increased our ranks.

So to answer to your question; Because I live in a free country and I can. Owning a gun is as American as apple pie and Chevrolet!

A simple question. Why do have firearms? Get down to the nitty gritty of it and don't say 'the Constitution". That's a given.

To answer my own question, I have firearms primarily to protect my family (since no one else can do so especially when the shit hits the fan) and I have firearms to hunt for food should the need arise.

Self protection of myself, my family and my closest friends.

They're like fine little machines I can fondle and they smell really good too.

+1. Few things make me happier than learning about the mechanisms, taking them apart, putting them back together, and just admiring their ingenuity and ruggedness.

When people ask me why I have semi-autos, after rolling my eyes, one reason I give is my fascination with the mechanisms.

To paraphrase what someone else mentioned in a thread a while back, it's a mix of history, physics, chemistry, engineering, and art. As a scientist and history buff, I can't get a better mix.

BTW, for those who feel as I do, read Hatcher's Notebook. It was written in the 40s by an Army general who was heavily involved in the development of US military rifles in the first half of the century.