ryan_j

Is the front license plate optional in NJ?

If you might be carrying firearms to the range, etc, don't offer the opportunity to get stopped for stupid stuff like bulbs, license plates, tinted windows, rolling stop, speeding...

Im surprised NJ dosent require side plates, diagnoal plates, roof plates, forehead plates, finger plates (wait we have those...prints), breakfast plates, nipple tassle plates....and the soon to be ever popular, Ask the senate before you use your charmin quilted double roll...plates

A lot of guys and what I used to do before I stopped caring was you take the front plate off, put felt or something on the back and it put it on your dash, keeps you legal and keeps the lines of the car clean.

I got pulled over for having my front plate on the dash.  No ticket; just a warning. 

Only if the cop wants to be a dick will he give you a ticket.  Guy I work with got pulled over for it and argued with the cop because he said he wouldnt drill a hole into the bumper of his ferrari.  Cop gave him a ticket for it, so my friend just registered all his cars in Florida where its not required.

If you might be carrying firearms to the range, etc, don't offer the opportunity to get stopped for stupid stuff like bulbs, license plates, tinted windows, rolling stop, speeding...

I never have a problem with my windows being tinted.  I dont think many cops in my area care anymore about that. But you are right, its an unnecessary risk on my part

Only if the cop wants to be a dick will he give you a ticket. Guy I work with got pulled over for it and argued with the cop because he said he wouldnt drill a hole into the bumper of his ferrari. Cop gave him a ticket for it, so my friend just registered all his cars in Florida where its not required.

First-world problems..

I'm seeing a lot of cars without them now. Not just mustangs and camaros and other sports cars but even cheap VWs and other ordinary grocery getters. Did the front plate requirement go away?

It’s another Nanny state regulation and for the high-end cars it f***s-up their bumpers... Think about it,  if you could have a paper Temp plate that is barely visible  while waiting for your real plates to arrive, so what’s the difference?  Also keep in mind 1976 the front plate rule was waived so folks could sport their Bicentennial front plate and IIRC nothing bad happened as a result.

Too all, Happy 4th

Yup. I carry firearms in my vehicle quite a lot since I go to Pennsylvania a lot. Don't want to attract undue attention. I was just curious as to why so many. In NY Ive seen them on every car even the Bugatti veyron parked outside our offices I saw one day.

I have two QQ plated vehicles. Only rear plates are required NJ Title 39 (39:3-27.4)

That is great news! Thanks. The front plate covers my oil cooler and I have to take it off every time I'm at the track. Got QQ plates a couple years back, but thought I needed the front plate. I'm printing out the reg 39 and putting in the glove box. :)

That is great news! Thanks. The front plate covers my oil cooler and I have to take it off every time I'm at the track. Got QQ plates a couple years back, but thought I needed the front plate. I'm printing out the reg 39 and putting in the glove box. :)

Glad I could help.

A lot of my friends put it on the dashboard rather than mounting it. Not one ticket so far.

I was on an accident scene where the license plate was between the dash and the front window. Wait... maybe I should say that the plate was inside her neck. Yup. That sounds about right.

Also, while a baseline MP in the Marines (prior to going to a field unit) we were told to never pass on writing a ticket for the front plate being on the dash. They called it a safety non-negotiable.

When I had a black car, I had very dark tinted license plate covers because I hated how the car looked with the standard yellow NJ plates (why can't NJ get those black DARE plates like PA has, dammit?  Or legit legal Euro-style plates, for that matter...but I digress...)

Anyway, pulled up to a light at a T intersection in Mountain Lakes, where a cop was apparently sitting across from me...  Light turns green, I turn, cop jumps out behind me and pulls me over...tells me I don't have a front plate.  I say "Yes I do."  He walks up to the front of the car, stands there a few seconds, looks dejected, and says ".......Oh..."

He then chatted with me about photography for a few minutes on the side of Rt 46, since he saw a tripod in my back seat...and let me go on my way...

Roseland on the other hand...I would make sure my car is 100% because they seem to pull you over for anything they can...

I did always think it was stupid that temp plates behind tinted SUV windows was just fine, but not having front plates normally was a big no-no...

I got a ticket once for hanging something on my mirror.  Trooper stopped me for going 90 on the turnpike (in the rain).  I was late for a race at the Meadowlands (yeah, I know, wasn't the smartest day I had).  After a chat he gave the "obstruction of vision" ticket instead.  I thanked him and was on my way! My son and I did take first and second in class that day!  Two trophies was well worth the $50.00 ticket.