Clintoon Eastwood

Did it hurt? Share your 1st firearm related incident

One time i had an OOB ignition on a 22lr rifle when i was cupping the ejection port but that just sprayed my hand with hot particles and stung a little. Then i was fiddling with a Harris bipod off the gun and if you have one, you know its damn near impossible to operate unless its attached to something solid. I grabbed the body in one hand and started to try to swing the stubby 6" leg with my other but the webbing of my hand got into the pivot socket and as the let started to go, it just snapped into place and severed the webbing of my hand as it snapped shut with authority. That was pretty painful and pretty bloody. But not as bloody as the time i slid my finger into the running table saw...

I have also witnessed some funny stuff from others. I was out with another *unnamed* member of this board at a plinking range shooting some 12ga buck and slugs at junk. He had the gun configured in the 18" barrel and pistol grip only mode and found it hard to get a good sight picture to get hits on water bottles a few yards away with slugs. So he does what anyone might and pulls the whole short assembly closer to his face so he could get a proper sight line down the barrel. Well, after letting one rip without a firm grip on the gun, a classic youtube moment occurred and the whole thing ended up pistolwhipping him in his own face and opened up his lip something fierce. All he could do is stand there leaned over with blood pouring out of his mouth and trying to dab at it with a rag. I'm still surprised it didn't take out any teeth with that hit. lol

I witnessed this and a few others while on the Range in California while in the Navy.. We had a guy in the Handgrenade hole, basically you're 6' below ground in a bunker throwing the grenade out.  Well we had a couple guys that were pure genious thinking they were in a movie.. and well hit the wall and the grenade fell back into the pit!  LOL needless to say thank God nobody got hurt, but we saw guys listed as "UNABLE TO BE TRUSTED" LOL 

I've seen guys on the range with the 16's, 60's and M203's that don't understand what "DOWN RANGE" means!  Saw guys get tackled due to there idiocy!  A guy go full auto and drop the gun ... a guy shoot and yell "F*****", drop the 16 and yell HELL NO!  ahahhaahhahaaa!

-P

Different type!! of GUN, A paslode air nail gun, Sometimes they double tap. Making a workbench, You see pics of it in all my posts. Holding 2x4 with left hand and gun in right, you guessed it -a double tap. Put down gun and looked for where other nail went.!! Saw the head of a 10D[ For you that are not MEN, It is 3" long] Common sticking out of the heal of my left hand,. Claw hammer removed it slap some duct or gaffer tape on hole and finished bench. No CRYING, NO WEEPING, NO PUSSY-OH my hand hurts!   SUCK IT UP!!!

Shooting pigeons on a farm with a pump 20gauge. They were flying by so fast while trying to make a fast reload i shoved a shell in chamber with right thumb and pigeon came out of no where so I closed action with thumb still in chamber as I shouldered gun. Pigeon lived!!!!

I don't much remember using ear protection in Basic Training at Ft Dix; but then I probably didn't hear the complaints either. :(

No ear protection in 1964 at Fort Ord either. As a consequence I have no hearing in my right ear today. My souvenir of "TRAINFIRE".

Did not happen to me but I was there. A friend of mine (Andy) brought a friend of his (Jay) to a farm that we shoot at in PA. Jay is from Brooklyn and has never fired a gun before. Andy lets Jay shoot his LCP. Andy was not paying attention to Jays grip and it turns out that Jay did not know how to grip a gun and he was keeping his thumb straight up, like how one can make a gun sign with your thumb and pointer finger. So Jay fired the gun and the slide came back and smashed into his thumb and dislocated it. He was in allot of pain after that LOL

Seems like your friend should have been more careful watching his student.  Never let a new shooter who is with you out of your sight.

Several times I have got the skin of my palm sucked into the chamber on my 92FS--hurts like a SOB.  And then you have to re-grasp the slide--putting extra tension on the skin--in order to pull the slide back to release it.  First time it took me like 20 seconds to think through the pain and figure out how to extract it!

Mine?  Well, I have had the usual nonsense of getting my fingers caught where they weren't supposed to be - hammers, slides, etc; but one stands out in my mind.

This was years ago...my SKS - I had just added a one-inch rubber extension onto the stock (which is a nice addition, BTW).  I took the SKS up from my basement shop, upstairs to the second floor where I kept the firearms.  Before putting it away, I got the cleaning accessory kit, and pushed it into the stock thru the hole in the rubber extension. 

Well...because of the tight clearance of the hole in the rubber - the trapdoor caught my index finger.  So there I was...with my SKS hanging from my finger, the SHARP edge digging itself into that painful little area just above the nail/cuticle.  So back down two flights of stairs to the shop in the basement, dig out the screwdriver, and take the whole thing (rubber and metal buttplate) OFF the SKS - with my weak hand, of course, and FINALLY relieve the pressure on my finger. 

And no, I have NEVER tried to put that little cleaning kit into the *&^# little hole again...

Other than in combat, the worse I got was after running a Rifle stage at a competition and I grabbed the barrel. The burn was so bad that it fried my nerves and did not hurt for a long time. I knew better having fired an M16 on full auto many times but it goes to show that no matter what we know and practice, our minds are not perfect and stuff happens.

The other incident was while waiting my turn at a stage in a Steel Challenge match and feeling a burning in my arm and seeing blood. Seems that some splatter from the next stage got me despite a very high berm between us. Luckily the wound was not deep enough to require stitches but it did allow me to show people the scar from my bullet wound. Makes me look tough. :)

I'm probably jinxing myself, but I have actually never had an accident of any kind. 

But the *stupidest* thing I ever did was try to build my own bullet trap.  I got a half-dozen 9mm holes in the basement wall to prove that I had absolutely no clue what I was doing. 

ETA: Ooops, I forgot about how I learned the hard way about cylinder gap gasses.  While target shooting in the woods, I rested a .357 against a tree to steady my shot.  I ended up with a face full of treebark; in my eyes, my mouth, my ear. 

Edited by TheDon

How about shooting a round from a 30-06 and forgetting to put on your hearing protection ? :(

Try shooting inside old bridge rifle range without ear protection. Inside a 2 person cement cubicle enclosed, so it echoes like a MOFO. That tickles

I shot a BB into a can and it bounced straight back. I distinctly saw it coming straight to my eye, getting larger & larger. I shut my eyelid just in time to feel the BB on the skin.

That happened to me when I was a kid with a soda can on a fence pole. Million to one shot it riccochted right back at me and caught the inside bridge of my nose. 1mm closer and it would have hit me in the right eye.

My brother was screwing around pointing his bb rifle at me, you know, doing the big brother thing. He finally thought it would be funny to shoot the floor in front of me. It ricocheted of the floor 90 degrees right into my ear. Started bleeding and he bout crapped his pants.

At the range with my 12 yr old great nephew. His first time shooting a revolver (686). Of course he's using a zombie target. I stopped him for a minute to point out what his sight picture should be. Pointed at the target, front sight, rear sight and as I tell to focus on the front sight BAM while my hand was still too close. Nice black smudge from the blowback and few little dots that cleared up in a few days. And a very big lesson in range safety after that. ;-)

Never with a firearm, thank god. 

Once I was shooting my paintball gun on my 14th birthday, and stupidly put my face against the back of it trying to get a better sight picture. Whacked my nose on the cocking handle.

I was reading all these and chuckling last week. And then I was all finished cleaning my .45 and went to put my kit away but the cover wouldn't close all the way so I could lock it with the plastic hinge locks. So I opened it back up, made sure everything was all back in place nicely and stood over it to put more weight on it and force it to shut properly ...and pinched my thumb/index finger webbing in the lid LOL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

About 10 years ago I came into my National Guard armory to drop off some paperwork.  I had the day off of work, was in civilian clothes and wearing sandals.  Trust me, this bit of information is important later.

My first sergeant happened to be there and asked me to go help out in the arms room.  There had been a water leak in the arms room of a different company the night before so they had stored their weapons in our arms room.  I was somewhat reticent, especially since, #1, I wasn't getting paid to do any work and #2 I didn't want to get stuck there all day.

But, he's still my first sergeant and I respect him whether I'm getting paid or not.

So I went to the arms room.  

The arms room door was open and a private on guard duty sat outside in a folding chair.  He jumped up when he saw me and asked if I could relieve him for a minute while he went to the latrine.  

"Of course," I said.

And he left.

Then I noticed the condition of the arms room - it looked like crap.  Weapons were strewn everywhere - basically the result of soldiers throwing weapons into our arms room as fast as possible to get them out of the water.  This included .50 caliber machine guns.  About 8 of the machine guns were standing up, balanced on their barrel shrouds like stalagmites. 

I thought: "What a stupid way to store a machine gun.  If someone nudges it, it will fall over."

Keep in mind the .50 Caliber M2 machine gun weighs about 82 pounds...

So I went over to the collection of machine guns to place them flat on the floor when I accidentally nudged one.  The gun tipped over and fell, right into another machine gun, which tipped over and fell into a third machine gun... which landed on my left toe.

You know how in Tom and Jerry when an anvil falls on Tom's foot he jumps up in the air and hangs there for a few seconds while screaming "YOWWWW!"?  That actually happened to me.  I think I actually defied gravity for a good ten seconds while screaming.

The private came back just as I fell back to earth.

The dialog went like this:

"What happened, Sarn't?"

"F#CK YOU!!!"

And I pushed past him and hopped down the hallway to my first sergeant's office.  I dragged my self into my first sergeant's office just as he looked up from his newspaper.

"Top," I said.  "One of the .50's cal's dropped on my toe.  I think it's broken."

Now my first sergeant had been a medic once.  He told me to sit down and he squatted by my foot and slapped it with his hand.

Again, I flew up in the air for a few seconds while screaming.

"Yep, It's broken," he said.  "I can tape it up for you.  You can go to the hospital, but they're only going to do the same thing I'm going to do."

I lost the nail a few days later.  Maybe that wasn't my first gun injury, but damned if it didn't hurt the most.

About 10 years ago I came into my National Guard armory to drop off some paperwork. I had the day off of work, was in civilian clothes and wearing sandals. Trust me, this bit of information is important later.

My first sergeant happened to be there and asked me to go help out in the arms room. There had been a water leak in the arms room of a different company the night before so they had stored their weapons in our arms room. I was somewhat reticent, especially since, #1, I wasn't getting paid to do any work and #2 I didn't want to get stuck there all day.

But, he's still my first sergeant and I respect him whether I'm getting paid or not.

So I went to the arms room.

The arms room door was open and a private on guard duty sat outside in a folding chair. He jumped up when he saw me and asked if I could relieve him for a minute while he went to the latrine.

"Of course," I said.

And he left.

Then I noticed the condition of the arms room - it looked like crap. Weapons were strewn everywhere - basically the result of soldiers throwing weapons into our arms room as fast as possible to get them out of the water. This included .50 caliber machine guns. About 8 of the machine guns were standing up, balanced on their barrel shrouds like stalagmites.

I thought: "What a stupid way to store a machine gun. If someone nudges it, it will fall over."

Keep in mind the .50 Caliber M2 machine gun weighs about 82 pounds...

So I went over to the collection of machine guns to place them flat on the floor when I accidentally nudged one. The gun tipped over and fell, right into another machine gun, which tipped over and fell into a third machine gun... which landed on my left toe.

You know how in Tom and Jerry when an anvil falls on Tom's foot he jumps up in the air and hangs there for a few seconds while screaming "YOWWWW!"? That actually happened to me. I think I actually defied gravity for a good ten seconds while screaming.

The private came back just as I fell back to earth.

The dialog went like this:

"What happened, Sarn't?"

"F#CK YOU!!!"

And I pushed past him and hopped down the hallway to my first sergeant's office. I dragged my self into my first sergeant's office just as he looked up from his newspaper.

"Top," I said. "One of the .50's cal's dropped on my toe. I think it's broken."

Now my first sergeant had been a medic once. He told me to sit down and he squatted by my foot and slapped it with his hand.

Again, I flew up in the air for a few seconds while screaming.

"Yep, It's broken," he said. "I can tape it up for you. You can go to the hospital, but they're only going to do the same thing I'm going to do."

I lost the nail a few days later. Maybe that wasn't my first gun injury, but damned if it didn't hurt the most.

See what I mean?.. Ma Deuce is just as dangerous to friendlies as it is to enemies..lol

Not my first !  but last week I was shootin the m&p 22 double and triple tapping. ( because I like it ) And a hot shell bounced off the wall, and landed in my sneaker. did i fail to mention i was wearing shorts with no socks. But I keep the firearm down range the whole time. :banghead: