Malsua

1996 all over again? Snow shovels ready?

Someone is getting a lot of snow on Friday Night and it might just be most of us here in NJ.

Most of the models and even the national weather service all agree that this is going to be a storm and it's tracking very similar to the January 1996 snow storm that dropped 18-36 inches all over NJ.

Right now it looks to hit southern NJ early Friday afternoon and north Jersey a bit later.  

Snow maps at this time are fantasy land and really have no bearing in final reality, that said, run after run after run has put this one on this track, wobbling only a little in either direction.

Since no snow storm thread is complete without a wish casting snow map, here ya go.  Realize this is a 10:1 ratio map, areas of the interior are more likely to be 12:1 or a touch more.

We're going to get 6 inches of snow at the very least, so if you have a flight on Friday, move it earlier or change your plans because once this thing starts the airport delays will end up being epic.

1-22-16-snow.jpg

Counting on the GFS again, we know how that usually turns out.  I love how they think they can predict 4-5 days out when there are so many variables.  I guess Wednesday will give us our first real look.  Wish it would just go away!

Counting on the GFS again, we know how that usually turns out.  I love how they think they can predict 4-5 days out when there are so many variables.  I guess Wednesday will give us our first real look.  Wish it would just go away!

The GFS, the Euro, The CMC, GGEM, UKIP,(probably others) are all in agreement.  The only major disagreement is the Euro Parallel which is a beta model that has been performing very poorly this year.

My wife's nephew is sort of a savant when it comes to weather prediction, both long and short term.  He predicted the warm weather in December sometime back in August.  He also predicted this will happen when I saw him at Christmas.  I realize he might get lucky sometimes, but can text him this far out and I bet he will give us the actual totals right now.

I always thought he had some degree of Asbergers, but he normalized the rest of his social skills quite a bit and now has a full scholarship to Penn State.  I doubt I'll see him in front of any blue screens on channel 5.  More than likely he'll go right into corporate risk management as consultant.

Anyway, I'll see if I can ping him tonight so we can see how he calls this one.

My wife's nephew is sort of a savant when it comes to weather prediction, both long and short term. He predicted the warm weather in December sometime back in August. He also predicted this will happen when I saw him at Christmas. I realize he might get lucky sometimes, but can text him this far out and I bet he will give us the actual totals right now.

I always thought he had some degree of Asbergers, but he normalized the rest of his social skills quite a bit and now has a full scholarship to Penn State. I doubt I'll see him in front of any blue screens on channel 5. More than likely he'll go right into corporate risk management as consultant.

Anyway, I'll see if I can ping him tonight so we can see how he calls this one.

I'll bet on him! Better than weather channel!

I am definitely ready for some snow!

Yeah, me too.  The latest runs are still about the same, the major precip field is a bit further north which puts more of it into NJ and really clobbers eastern PA.   This thing is a beast.

Picked up a shovel and some salt.

You'll need it.

This morning's guidance show the storm is a little further north and east, putting Philly, North NJ into the heavy snow axis but all of NJ is still getting it.

The storm is no onshore yet, so there's still time to change, but we're definitely getting snow, now it's a matter of who gets the most of it.

6zsnowmap.jpg

^Me too! My snowboard is ready

If i snowboard ill break a hip :)

I enjoy taking the snow blower into my back yard and running it in a large circle blowing it into the middle and letting my kids sled down it.... last time the Mount Blaier lasted well into spring.

If i snowboard ill break a hip :)

I enjoy taking the snow blower into my back yard and running it in a large circle blowing it into the middle and letting my kids sled down it.... last time the Mount Blaier lasted well into spring.

.... I wonder how much damage the Yard Guard edge on my plow would do to the yard. can you imagine the snow pile I could make?