SW9racer

School me on Pickup Trucks

Surprised you guys had issues with the 04 f150. Maybe bc mine had a 4.6l not 5.4l. Did coil packs, a seal on the rear once, and just normal maintenance had 130k when it got totaled. A friend has an 04 with 4.6l and has 280k on it with no major issues, same think with coil packs I think 2 times he did but no other real problems.

The 5.4L Triton engine in the '04-08 F-150 generation (especially the early years) had well-documented issues with the cam phaser and timing components.  Just a bad design overall.  Also, the spark plug changes could be a harrowing experience.  There's a class action settlement going on with spark plugs.

Looking to get rid of my suv and go with a pickup. Never had one before, I would go by default with Toyota, are the other brands like Chevy/Gmc just as reliable?

My criteria:

- mid sized, don't need a monster truck, don't need towing, don't need heavy hauling capacity.

- want a 4 door model, it's ok if it means a shorter bed.

- run on regular grade gas with decent mileage.

- would like some type of lockable cover over the bed that is easily removable when I need to load something big.

- needs to be 4x4, that can drive out onto sand/beach, yet has a nice highway ride

It's main use will be a daily driver, commuting on the highway to work. On weekends I may bring the dogs out, or toss stuff in the back for a day at the beach and not have to worry where the sand goes, and occasionally move a large size thing or a trip to Costco.

Thanks!

these days, there's only one way you can beat a ford truck....and that's a toyota. my preference would still be the ford. i saw someone mentioned mileage......even when gas was 3-4 bucks a gallon, i still used to tell my customers to buy what they want as long as they can comfortable afford the gas, payments, insurance. it's no use buying something you don't want just to save money, 'cause you're gonna hate driving it every day.

i got a customer who drives a raptor. that is a fantastic pickup. it is much better quality than the srt-10 trucks that dodge puts out. while i own/drive a dakota, i don't feel dodge's quality is there with the others. gm's trucks are nice, and good.....but ford still has em beat.......remember....there is a reason that nothing's outsold the f150 in what? 35 years now?

I've owned quite a few American trucks. Ranger,senoma,s10, f150, colorado, dakota. My next truck will probably be a Taco or if I need a little more cab room an F150. I would stay away from colorados/ canyons! Only truck I've bought brand new and I regretted it. Leaked oil at 20k miles and smoked allot upon startup. Dealer fixed the leak but gave me the run around about it smoking. Also had electrical problems where it fried 2 driver side window switches causing the window to go down and stay down in a rain storm. I'll never own another new GM product ever again!

Have the Tacos and Tundras had the frame issues sorted out?

An aquatint of mine cashed in on that recall three times. Rotting frames.

Op, I've had 3 trucks to date. Ford ranger, Nissan 4x4 and my current Chevy 2500 in diesel.

The former had 280,000 and my current is pushing 300,000.

If you maintain this things they will love you forever. Keep in mind that parts break, paint fades.

I don't think you can go wrong with any of the modern trucks today.

I see there quite a few Raptor owners and admirers on this site. I have a 2012 Raptor and have owned Bmw, Porsche, Lexus, Hummer H2sut and the Raptor is my favorite. I don't remember the last time I washed it an still get stopped and complimented on weekly. 0f8c62c488862c68e2bbf824b837e4fa.jpg

• Like 1

I love the look of the Raptors. I had a Ranger back in the day. That was a fun truck. Sold it when the dogs set off the fire extinguisher in the back. Sadly, with kids and such the enclosed back of an SUV was more useful

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Learning quite a bit from this.

I love entertaining the idea of having a pickup truck... but I have absolute no clue if I would ever haul stuff. lol, and don't want to have family ask me to.

Would not mind a large suv though... Crazy to think about a 50k or 60k pickup truck. wow.  

I have been in a Ridgeline once though... and that actually drove pretty nice and seems practical.

Maks, I think you'd get a SUV or a Minivan before a Pickup.

My FIL has a base model Toyota Tacoma - rides hard, low revving truck motor....  but he's used it to remodel/renovate several houses/buildings.  It's dirty and beat up but does the job....

• Like 1

Maks, I think you'd get a SUV or a Minivan before a Pickup.

My FIL has a base model Toyota Tacoma - rides hard, low revving truck motor....  but he's used it to remodel/renovate several houses/buildings.  It's dirty and beat up but does the job....

Minivan absolutely not.... no no no no no.

But yes, likely SUV before Pickup.

amazed on the 16 year old pickup getting 10,800 for trade in... wow.

At the time is was probably 13 years old. But I was amazed as well. One of the reasons I drive a Tundra.

Looking to get rid of my suv and go with a pickup. Never had one before, I would go by default with Toyota, are the other brands like Chevy/Gmc just as reliable?

My criteria:

- mid sized, don't need a monster truck, don't need towing, don't need heavy hauling capacity.

- want a 4 door model, it's ok if it means a shorter bed.

- run on regular grade gas with decent mileage.

- would like some type of lockable cover over the bed that is easily removable when I need to load something big.

- needs to be 4x4, that can drive out onto sand/beach, yet has a nice highway ride

It's main use will be a daily driver, commuting on the highway to work. On weekends I may bring the dogs out, or toss stuff in the back for a day at the beach and not have to worry where the sand goes, and occasionally move a large size thing or a trip to Costco.

Thanks!

Nissan Frontier or Toyota Tacoma are you best bets.  What is your price range? Fully loaded Frontier (Pro-4X model) is about $ 32k and it comes with a rear e-locker. I have a 2014 Xterra Pro-4X (my 2nd Xterra) and they are the same truck. Sadly, Nissan killed the Xterra in 2015. :(

I would love a Raptor, but I cannot afford a $60k pick up truck.

I think its a voluntary buyout, not a trade in. Its probably cheaper vs Toyota having to rebuild an entire truck around a new frame.

I think its a voluntary buyout, not a trade in. Its probably cheaper vs Toyota having to rebuild an entire truck around a new frame.

Toyota has basically rebuilt the frame and several other components on my Mom's 4-Runner.  It's still got less than 100k miles on it too.

I also would recommend a Tacoma, I have had four of them in the past 14 years and I have never had an issue with any of them. My first Tacoma I put 185k on it and not one problem with it at all. My needs have changed and now I drive a Toyota SUV and so far so good.

I don't know about the new trucks but I have a 2001 Toyota tundra SR5 access cab 4x4 v-8 I absolutely love this truck. Have had zero problems. Back in 2001 this tundra was more like a 7/8 size pickup. Not full size but much bigger than the Tacoma of the time. I have had pickups since I started driving 35+years ago. My question is, how can any one own a house and property and not have a pickup? Just getting stuff to keep up on the repairs, home projects, yard work, home depot runs............

That Nissan with the Cummins Diesel looks pretty nice. I'm a Dodge guy, 2012 Ram 2500, so it was hard to say that.   I threw up in my mouth a little, but it is a nice looking truck with a bullet proof diesel engine. 

That Nissan with the Cummins Diesel looks pretty nice. I'm a Dodge guy, 2012 Ram 2500, so it was hard to say that.   I threw up in my mouth a little, but it is a nice looking truck with a bullet proof diesel engine

I thought so too....wait till you see the purchase price.....

That Nissan with the Cummins Diesel looks pretty nice. I'm a Dodge guy, 2012 Ram 2500, so it was hard to say that. I threw up in my mouth a little, but it is a nice looking truck with a bullet proof diesel engine.

I'd give it 10 years before calling it bulletproof. Cummins has produced excellent engines but also have blocks that cracked. International produced stellar engines for 20 years before ruining it with the 6.0. Bad designs hit everyone at some point.