Sign in to follow this  
Malsua

$58.85 projectile

Right into the windshield.

I'll say this was really loud, a lot louder than the dash cam audio would suggest.

I can't really tell where it came from.  It came from the right though, not in front.    A .22 ?  Probably not, but it sure did a number on the windshield.  I'll have to replace it because the spot is in my line of sight and it's fricking annoying.

White SUV riding the white line probably picked it up, got jostled in its undercarriage and sent it your way. Sucks man.

Agreed.  I've had one hit even lower - right in the middle of my vision in the middle of the windshield...

Can you just get it filled?

Agreed.  I've had one hit even lower - right in the middle of my vision in the middle of the windshield...

Can you just get it filled?

It's possible it can be filled but it's already started to spider out.  This Acura has thick glass and sound deadening so I'm going to just eat it.   Totally sucks.   My Subaru needed a windshield about a year and a half ago.  It's just unnecessary expense just to get back to normal.

It's possible it can be filled but it's already started to spider out.  This Acura has thick glass and sound deadening so I'm going to just eat it.   Totally sucks.   My Subaru needed a windshield about a year and a half ago.  It's just unnecessary expense just to get back to normal.

No glass coverage via insurance?  Or does that go against the deductible?

^Curious about that. Wonder if Geico would replace it or make me pay the 500$ deductible so i only save like 40$ on my F150's windshield. Mines been cracked from side to side for like 2 years now.. I Refuse to replace it because it'll just break again; always said when i sell it i'll replace it.. Doesn't look like that'll happen anytime soon, though, hahaha.

Your allowed one glass chip a year for free. It is sponsored through almost every ones insurance. Whole glass, not so much unless you can prove it came from a truck or something. You'd have to contact the owner of the truck and prob file with them. It happened to me twice on two brand new vehicles, my Caddy and my SUV within 24 hrs. Was I pist. In the same spot no less on route 3 east.

I would try get it filled first. They'll ask how big it is and guide you from there.

I think the rule of thumb for a repair is no bigger than a dollar bill, at least thats what the glass guys told us when they showed up. BTW, ask ins about it, they covered ours w no deductable cant hurt to ask.

I think the rule of thumb for a repair is no bigger than a dollar bill, at least thats what the glass guys told us when they showed up. BTW, ask ins about it, they covered ours w no deductable cant hurt to ask.

Dollar bill or silver dollar? Big difference. Anywho, simple phone call will do the trick.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Dollar bill or silver dollar? Big difference. Anywho, simple phone call will do the trick.

This particular spot isn't big, but It's going to get some miles(1000+) on it before I can get it looked at.

I'd always heard no bigger than a quarter; once a crack starts to radiate linearly out from the initial star crack it's too late.

I'd always heard no bigger than a quarter; once a crack starts to radiate linearly out from the initial star crack it's too late.

Thats what I heard too. Mine were no bigger than a dime at the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

it seems thats what it used to be. more recently they said a dollar bill. i just had mine crack with a rock 2 weeks ago. geico covered it except a $50 deductible for comprehensive. if they filling geico covers at no cost.

I Should give them a call, then, and see what they say. Couldn't hurt to ask, before i drop 550$ or so on a new windshield for my truck.

It WAS caused by a semi that didn't have mud flaps or whatever, but go and prove that...

White SUV riding the white line probably picked it up, got jostled in its undercarriage and sent it your way. Sucks man.

negatory on that. looks like it was from in front of that suv. the trajectory looks like it came outta the woods near the construction sign.

I Should give them a call, then, and see what they say. Couldn't hurt to ask, before i drop 550$ or so on a new windshield for my truck.

It WAS caused by a semi that didn't have mud flaps or whatever, but go and prove that...

I did not have to prove it. Submitted claim online and gieco linked me to safelite website and gave all my info. And filled a few things on safelite and done they came the next day. No asking anything just called in the am to confirm time and that's the only person I had to speak to.

Get  this one for bad luck!  Had major ice on my windshield on my Infinity G37, Set the defroster to 90 degrees and my windshield cracked from one side to the other.

I paid $$$ to replace it and the very next day had a rock hit my brand new windshield in Philly on I-95. I was able to get Safelite to come to my office and repair the hit

for another hundred. I can still see the repair and I am paranoid about driving behind trucks now!

negatory on that. looks like it was from in front of that suv. the trajectory looks like it came outta the woods near the construction sign.

That's sorta what it looks like to me as well.    In the original, I can zoom way in and see it well before it's obvious in this vid.  Maybe I should try to enhance it. 

See here:

windshield.jpg

I was driving a company car once and a 12" piece of rebar dropped out of a missing slat of a walking floor trailer (hilariously it was an independent hauler who was towing a trailer owned by the company), got driven over and was launched diagonally across 2 lanes of traffic and was embedded halfway through the windshield. Fortunately I wore glasses at the time because I was hit in the face with the glass fragments that were punched out. Im just glad I didn't lose control but I was stunned at the force with which that piece of scrap was thrown.

Thats what I heard too. Mine were no bigger than a dime at the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

^this..I replaced 4 windshields over the last 13 yrs commuting from Rockaway to Bound Brook. 287 is the worst!
  • Like 1

I was driving a company car once and a 12" piece of rebar dropped out of a missing slat of a walking floor trailer (hilariously it was an independent hauler who was towing a trailer owned by the company), got driven over and was launched diagonally across 2 lanes of traffic and was embedded halfway through the windshield. Fortunately I wore glasses at the time because I was hit in the face with the glass fragments that were punched out. Im just glad I didn't lose control but I was stunned at the force with which that piece of scrap was thrown.

Wow, I'm glad you weren't seriously injured or killed !