Sign in to follow this  
Purple Patrick

What to order at Morton's?

I have some gift cards so the gf and I are going on a date night. I've never been to Morton's but I eagerly await to compare it to Peter lugers and Ruth's Chris. Any must have items? I'll be at the Hackensack location

this signature exceeds the 15 character capacity count

Go with the ribeye, 1000%.  I am a bit of a steak snob.  In order of preference and taste here are my beef rankings:

1. skirt

2. rib eye

3. brisket

4. chuck

5. flank

6. strip

7. sirloin

8. filet

Skirt simply has the very best flavor to me with rib eye a close second.  Skirt won't be a very popular cut in traditional steak houses, which is why I recommend the rib eye.  Filet, while very tender, just doesn't have much flavor and is relatively expensive.

I'm thinking the Cajun ribeye. Looking at the tuna tacos and the truffle fries to go with

this signature exceeds the 15 character capacity count

big fan of the tuna tacos and truffle fries.  It'll be very different than Lugers.  

Go with the ribeye, 1000%.  I am a bit of a steak snob.  In order of preference and taste here are my beef rankings:

1. skirt

2. rib eye

3. brisket

4. chuck

5. flank

6. strip

7. sirloin

8. filet

Skirt simply has the very best flavor to me with rib eye a close second.  Skirt won't be a very popular cut in traditional steak houses, which is why I recommend the rib eye.  Filet, while very tender, just doesn't have much flavor and is relatively expensive.

I generally agree with your list.

That said, there is this Uruguayan steak house in San Pedro Sula Honduras called La Estancia that serves a 16oz filet that is to die for.  Literally, you almost have to die because you're in Honduras.  Best piece of meat I've ever eaten, by far. 

If you ever get to San Pedro Sula, you must go.   Don't mind the guards at the doors with Shotguns.  They let gente blanca in with a smile.

• Like 1

Go with the ribeye, 1000%. I am a bit of a steak snob. In order of preference and taste here are my beef rankings:

1. skirt

2. rib eye

3. brisket

4. chuck

5. flank

6. strip

7. sirloin

8. filet

Skirt simply has the very best flavor to me with rib eye a close second. Skirt won't be a very popular cut in traditional steak houses, which is why I recommend the rib eye. Filet, while very tender, just doesn't have much flavor and is relatively expensive.

100% agree. Skirt steak done correctly is one of the most amazing things you will ever put in your mouth (please...be gentlemen!! We're talking steak here!!).

Back home we marinade it in a chimichuri, and place it directly on the coals, and cook for an minute or two per side. Comes out a perfect medium rare, and is incredible.

• Like 1

Go with the ribeye, 1000%. I am a bit of a steak snob. In order of preference and taste here are my beef rankings:

1. skirt

2. rib eye

3. brisket

4. chuck

5. flank

6. strip

7. sirloin

8. filet

Skirt simply has the very best flavor to me with rib eye a close second. Skirt won't be a very popular cut in traditional steak houses, which is why I recommend the rib eye. Filet, while very tender, just doesn't have much flavor and is relatively expensive.

100% agree. Skirt steak done correctly is one of the most amazing things you will ever put in your mouth (please...be gentlemen!! We're talking steak here!!).

Back home we marinade it in a chimichuri, and place it directly on the coals, and cook for an minute or two per side. Comes out a perfect medium rare, and is incredible.

Learn to 28 day dry age your own piece of Ribeye.  Trim it up, salt and pepper to taste, Slap it on the grill and finish with a compound butter of your choice.  Best you'll ever have.  Add a salad, sweet potato, and a beer, priceless!

• Like 1

Good ole ribeye, standard fare for me. However occasionaly when the opportunity is there my wife and I will go in on a big juicy porterhouse for two. Suprised no love for it here. And NO glop on my steak, no sauces, cheeses or veggys, just s&p to taste.

Mustve cost a small fortune lol

It did. But it was worth it!  :D But, oddly enough, it wasn't the most expensive thing... That would have been the "Fugu Sashimi" dinner (poisonous puffer fish).  US$250.00 at the time (just for the entree). It had to be ordered a day in advance because the chef would have to go to the Tsukiji Fish market that morning to pick up a Fugu to prepare. 

Not worth it...  Too risky healthwise (what if the chef is having a bad day) and the cost.   Kobe Tenderloin... Definitely worth it!  Literally, melts in your mouth!

Ribeye. Always. Bone-in if possible. Most of the time I'll get a ribeye even if it's boneless, but I just love bone-in steaks so damn much that I'll consider a strip/sirloin just because of the bone.

I was actually supposed to be at Gibson's in Chicago this weekend, but had to cancel the trip a few weeks ago. Would have been my 4th time. Place is heaven on earth.

I usually get the bone-in ribeye with a side of fries at steakhouses. Obvious exception is the porterhouse at Luger's and the strip at Sparks.

I would do:

Oysters Rockefeller

Ahi Tuna Tower

Chicago Style Prime Bone-In Ribeye or Double Porterhouse for Two

Truffle Fries

Bacon & Onion Macaroni & Cheese 

Both Morton and Ruth's Chris are the same category but a big notch below Lugers IMHO, although Luger's is not as good as it used to be IMHO.