Matt

Do you clean your guns after every range session?

Nope.

you don't clean that million dollar rifle of yours after every range trip?

Cleaning is over rated! Most rifles shoot better dirty :twisted:

You know when I clean, when its going to sit for a while. OR if its a rifle, when accuracy falls off.

I JUST broke down and cleaned my 1911 after, idunno about 1500 rounds.

oooh, I am getting better.

Rimfires get cleaned after every trip.

Handguns, I try to clean after every trip, but the HK and SW 1911 I have waited 300 rounds or so before cleaning.

Rifles, after every trip, in particular mil surplus if I shoot non commercial ammo. the bolt 308, ar and ak every trip.

I clean the M44 after every trip due to corrosive rounds. The 9mm actually saw 3 days worth of shooting, this Sunday, Monday, and Tuesday were all back to back range days. I did run a few patches through the barrel after 200rds sun+mon, but I waited until tonight to clean the rest of the pistol up. Both the PT99 and M44 are all cleaned now ready for action.

I am going to go with the "Hell No" crowd. I lube when they get dry, and when they really get nasty I clean them ;)

It is an interesting exercise to let them get dirty enough to malfunction. I bet most would be suprised how long/how many rounds it takes 8-)

I am going to go with the "Hell No" crowd. I lube when they get dry, and when they really get nasty I clean them ;)

It is an interesting exercise to let them get dirty enough to malfunction. I bet most would be suprised how long/how many rounds it takes 8-)

I do that with some of my guns to see their limits, I just prefer to grab a clean gun.

I do that with some of my guns to see their limits, I just prefer to grab a clean gun.

I don't blame you. After some good testing I keep a couple clean and ready as "go to" guns. However I have to admit that my most used handguns and carbine lead a dirty life :shifty:

I clean the M44 after every trip due to corrosive rounds. The 9mm actually saw 3 days worth of shooting, this Sunday, Monday, and Tuesday were all back to back range days. I did run a few patches through the barrel after 200rds sun+mon, but I waited until tonight to clean the rest of the pistol up. Both the PT99 and M44 are all cleaned now ready for action.

Yep - surplus 7.62x54R is corrosive - gotta clean it after every session.

Yup, I clean after every range session, even if I put just 10rds thru.

I'm OCD like that.

PLUS, I like to take my guns out and dry fire them (with snap caps) every once in a while, so its good to know that when I put it down on my desk or couch, its not going to leave gun powder/soot stains. :mrgreen:

All of my guns (which I'm the first owner for) are pristine and can almost be passed off as new.

Glock - no

Saiga - no

Mossberg - no

Ar10 - yes

CX4 - yes

Since most of my guns are not just for using but for collecting, they get the full detail clean every time out. Theres 3 guns that I let slack: My 870 for clay shooting, my 10-22 blaster, and my scoped marlin 925 (.22 also). My glock I clean incase I need to use it, and everything else is collectable.

Man, reading thru these replies has got me thinking.. AM I CRAZY!?!? :lol::lol:

I literally do a complete strip down of every gun I shoot after each range session and hand wipe, clean, brush and lube each component.

For instance, my Mossberg 590A1, I'll remove the barrel and all components inside the action (bolt, elevator, slide, rails, trigger group, etc etc) to hand clean and lube and re-assemble.

I really wish the Brigadier 92FS INOX I just purchased was better cared for by its previous owner, because it definitely has more "character" than all the other things in my safe. I'm trying really hard to resist the urge to send it to Robar for a full re-finish. It'd cost me close to $400!! ARGH.

Cleaning is an interesting topic. I bore snake my AR. I haven't cleaned the bolt yet, but I brush all the crap off. I don't even know if I'm supposed to clean the gas tube. The Glock I used to clean before I'd go shooting, but now probably every other trip to the range. The S&W 22A really needs to be cleaned after each session since I have to scrape the crap out with toothpicks. The Walther is still being broken in so I guess I'll keep that clean.