hd2000fxdl

Do You Remember When??

I didn't do all of those things - slightly younger generation :)

I do remember setting up boxes and making a maze and playing "Aliens" in my friend's basement (like the Alien/Aliens/Alien Resurrection/etc movies). Now THAT was fun... Oh and nerf wars.

I lived out in the country.

I remember being bored out of my skull more times than I can count.

until I was 12ish, I had two neighbors around my age. Both were about a mile away(opposite directions).

I had horses, goats, chickens and other animals. I spent a lot of time cleaning up after them.

I spent time in the woods doing nothing but wishing I was somewhere there was something fun to do.

I read a lot.

I'm glad we have the internet.

Maybe I am slightly younger too?

I remember dial phones... pay phones... having to go to New Jersey Bell and *rent* a home phone.

I remeber only having one TV with 3 channels. Five I suppose if you counted Fox 29 and Philly 57. I remember all of the bad Kung Fu movies they used to play on Saturdays on Fox 29.

I remember Van Halen's 1984 as the soundtrack to high school, playing it on a tape in my friend Jeff's 1985 IROC-Z.

I remember seeing Die Hard in the theater and that's when I first fell in love with the Beretta 92.

I remember Stella, the Man-eater from Manayunk.

I remember going to Crazy Eddie's for my Hanukkah present.

I remember going to my father's office and being fascinated by the real-to-real magnetic tape machines that stored data. I still have one of my father's magnetic tapes in my office. I used to play ring-toss with the plastic tape-write protect tabs and a Scope bottle my dad kept in his desk.

I remember back when K-Mart sold guns - even in New Jersey.

I remember being afraid that the Russians would start a nuclear war and I remember the adults walking around bleary-eyed after "The Day After" ran on ABC.

I remember when Saturday Night Live was funny.

I remember when a gallon of gas was $0.69, and I remember how my mother bought the first minivan.

I remember being told not swim with someone who had AIDS.

I remember writing handwritten love letters to my girlfriend when she moved away.

I remember Betamax and Hands Across America.

I remember my father boycotting French wine when he found out that the French refused overflight to our F-111s as they flew to bomb Libya.

And finally, I remember the first "portable computer," a Compaq Portable that you carried around in a box the size of a sewing machine with a 5 inch green screen. I now have more computing power in my phone.

I keep telling my granddaughter that we had no toys and played with rocks and sticks Okay we had toys but also played with rocks and sticks. I grew up in the city and our wilderness were the "train lots", lots adjacent to the the right of way. I remember the horse drawn wagon of the rag man. My mother dragged out a bag of rags that broke the guys scale when he tried to weigh it. He gave her 50 cents. There was also a horse drawn wagon that sold produce. I also remember the guy who would bring the pony around and charge 50 cents or a dollar to have your photo taken on it. Cheapest I remember gas was about 24.9 at the no name station and filling the tank of my 58 Buick with "Super Shell" or "Sunoco 260" cost me about $7. There was no uhf TV but living in Elizabeth but we had 2,4,5,7,9,11, and 13. When I went in the Army and talked to guys from all over the country they wouldn't believe I had 7 TV channels growing up. Where can you ever get 7 channels? Ross' and Solomon's were the two places you could buy a gun in Elizabeth. 2 Guys used to have barrels filled with Enfields for 11.95 and you could get a Carcano for 6.95.

I guess I am somewhat of a dinosaur next to a lot of people here.

I was BORN in the 80's. The last SANE generation! - We are the last generation who learned to play in the street, we are the 1st who've played video games, and were the last to record songs off the radio on cassettes and we are the pioneers of walkmans and chatrooms... We Learned how to program the VCR before anyone else, play with the Atari, Super Nintendo and believed that the Internet would be.....................a free world. - We are the generation of the Thunder Cats, Ninja Turtles, Transformers, Silver Hawks, Gumby, Highwayman, Manimal, Saved by the Bell, The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air, and twilight zone -Traveled in cars without seat belts or air-bags -lived without cell phones. -We did not have 99 television stations, flat screens, surround sound, mp3s, iPods, computers and the Internet, ...but nevertheless we had a GREAT Time [[80s baby]]

• Like 1

I grew up on a small Caribbean Island and remember:

1 television channel that broadcast from 7am to 11pm and consisted mainly of 5 year old American sitcoms and so called local news.

Going to the beach or "Down the Islands" on Christmas holidays.

Every place being closed on Sundays except churches and rum shops.

Playing with my friends anywhere in the neighborhood until dark and walking home alone and safe.

Cars drove on the right and automatics were nonexistent.

Buying a bottle each of whiskey,rum,and gin as well as a carton of cigaretts at the grocery for my dad at 11when company was coming over.

School uniforms.

Manners.

Praying for rain in the dry season and sun in the rainy season.

My first Big Mac being as large as my head and costing $1.10 with fries.

Filling the tank of my first car for the equivalent of $3.50 US. {67 Mini Cooper}

No meat Fridays.

Getting my first pocket knife at 9 and dive knife at 12.

Girls my age were so flat chested....except Donna.

Asking Donna to go steady.

Weekends on the boat with Donna.

I'll leave it there as it was time to grow up and come to Collage, Thanks for the chance to reminisce.

Horn & Hardart--the ultimate vending machine.

Egg creams

Bonomos Turkish Taffy

Stickball--broom stick and a Spaulding (if you were lucky)

Stoop Ball

2 movies and a cartoon for a quarter

roller skates with keys

All great memories.

For those in Brooklyn:

Steeplechase

there were the trolly cars on Coney Island Ave and under McDonald Ave el (elevated train)

horse path on Ocean Parkway...the stables were at Prospect Park

Edited by Zardoz

THANKS Harry!

I remember "wish" sandwiches: 2 slices of bread and one slice of meat & cheese and you wished that it had more in it!

I remember "Duck & Cover" Drills in K-8 school, hiding under our desks with those huge windows that would explode and kill us all. And a milk machine where you got 8 oz. for 5 cents!

I remember driving my Father's big '63 Caddy Sedan Deville with the fins when I was only 12 years old.

Bubblegum was 2 for a penny, then 3 for only 2 cents!

My 5 speed with the shifter crotch high in front of the banana seat.

CB radio with my linear!

Five & Dimes stores where things would cost five or ten cents!

Going to the newstand to catch a glimpse of a Playboy or Penthouse.......

did most of that,, i was king of flash light tag until my hiding spot was figured out..

I use to hide over the bulkhead in between a piling with my feet on a whaler..

was a bad hiding spot at high tide.. :sarcastichand:

our block played hardball,softball,football,basketball and ice hockey we had alot of kids on our block and alot of places to play, motorcycles, go karts and fishing were another big hobby growing up, all our friends would borrow each others stuff..they were fun times..

My wife threw our skates out about 5 years ago as we do not get enough ice anymore..yep still had my hockey skates..we both had figure skates..

OH, dont forget bomb fires and four wheeli'n.. Can you spell "PIT PARTY" and 151 flaming shotzz Yah Baby.. It was fun to be young..

I was BORN in the 80's. The last SANE generation! - We are the last generation who learned to play in the street, we are the 1st who've played video games, and were the last to record songs off the radio on cassettes and we are the pioneers of walkmans and chatrooms... We Learned how to program the VCR before anyone else, play with the Atari, Super Nintendo and believed that the Internet would be.....................a free world. - We are the generation of the Thunder Cats, Ninja Turtles, Transformers, Silver Hawks, Gumby, Highwayman, Manimal, Saved by the Bell, The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air, and twilight zone -Traveled in cars without seat belts or air-bags -lived without cell phones. -We did not have 99 television stations, flat screens, surround sound, mp3s, iPods, computers and the Internet, ...but nevertheless we had a GREAT Time [[80s baby]]

Same here.

Growing up in the 40's in Verona.

The Victory garden out back.

Chasing the ice truck to get chips in the summer.

The old ice box getting upgraded to the new fangled refrigerator

with the bird cage on top

Milk and bread delivered from Bordens and Dugans. The cream was on the top. Mmm

Debating whether Bogart could beat up Cagney.

That great smell of burning the leaves in the gutter in the fall.

Sunday drives in the Nash with no seat belts.

Sneaking rides on the Erie boxcars up to Caldwell and back.

Playing with lead soldiers in the sandbox.

It was a whole different world back then.A great time to grow up.

Still don't own a cell phone, never have used an ATM and absolutely

refuse to "talk to the box" at Mickey D's.

Just haven't figured out what I want to be when I grow up....

• Like 3

Growing up in the 40's in Verona.

The Victory garden out back.

Chasing the ice truck to get chips in the summer.

The old ice box getting upgraded to the new fangled refrigerator

with the bird cage on top

Milk and bread delivered from Bordens and Dugans. The cream was on the top. Mmm

Debating whether Bogart could beat up Cagney.

That great smell of burning the leaves in the gutter in the fall.

Sunday drives in the Nash with no seat belts.

Sneaking rides on the Erie boxcars up to Caldwell and back.

Playing with lead soldiers in the sandbox.

It was a whole different world back then.A great time to grow up.

Still don't own a cell phone, never have used an ATM and absolutely

refuse to "talk to the box" at Mickey D's.

Just haven't figured out what I want to be when I grow up....

lyrical,somewhat poetic and brought a smile to my face...Thanks.

• Like 1

1 television channel that broadcast from 7am to 11pm and consisted mainly of 5 year old American sitcoms and so called local news.

Playing with my friends anywhere in the neighborhood until dark and walking home alone and safe.

Buying a bottle each of whiskey,rum,and gin as well as a carton of cigaretts at the grocery for my dad at 11when company was coming over.

School uniforms.

Manners.

Filling the tank of my first car for the equivalent of $3.50 US. {67 Mini Cooper}

No meat Fridays.

I'll leave it there as it was time to grow up and come to Collage, Thanks for the chance to reminisce.

Other side of the world is my wife's story.

we are the 1st who've played video games,

we are the pioneers of walkmans and chatrooms...

We Learned how to program the VCR before anyone else,

I call BS. Your older brothers, born in the 70s were playing video games (Atari) when George Lucas's smash hit Star Wars (without an episode number) was first shown. We (70s babies) graduated from boom boxes and carried "your" <cough> pioneering walkmen in the inside pockets of our jackets at school so the teacher wouldn't know. Furthermore, we unpacked that VCR, wired it for our parents, and programmed it, as you were still soiling your diapers. :icon_e_ugeek:

We remember when VCR's ejected the tape vertically out of the VCR. We were the last generation to have to endure the agony of a "film strip" in school and films (reel to reel) with portable projectors in our classrooms. We remember wired remotes, GI Joe and Cobra, He-Man, Justice League, spark plug points, the necessity of "tune ups", cars being stranded in the rain because of wet wires, studded snow tires, rear wheel drive, red and green flags at the gas station, drinking glasses from the gas station, high test, days before unleaded gasoline, and others.

School uniforms.

Manners.

No meat Fridays.

Yea, can relate to most everything there and I gotta throw in the ole family station wagon! Sounds funny even saying it now. I spent every summer in the 60's & some 70's traveling around the country with my parents , 3 bros and a dog visiting family and friends in those old war wagons.