iRescue

New shotgun or AR?

Looking to make my next gun purchase.

I currently have a G19 and a .22 Marlin.

Debating between picking up an 12ga Remington 870 or a AR of some sort.

Looking to use simply expand my collection. Would probably use for range/plinking, SHTF and HD if needed.

Which would you get first?

personally I'd go AR, number 1 you can shoot it all day

2. you can customize anything your heart desires

3. you might devolp a flinch learning how to shoot on a shotgun compared to a AR

4. grab a .22 conversion bolt for it and you can afford to shoot all day

5. unless you have a electric clay thrower you can't really shoot shotgun on your own unless you wanna just shoot paper

If you do end up buying a AR make sure the barrel is stamped 5.56 so you can shoot both 5.56+.223, if the barrel is stamped .223 you can't shoot 5.56 through it

If you have the cash, get the AR, you can always pickup a shotgun, even a cheap used one, later on. The only reason I would get the shotgun, first, is if I was going to use it for hunting. Although, If you were going to use the AR or shotgun for backup home defense, you might want to consider the over-penetration of the AR.

Shotgun #1, AR #2

Shotgun, batter for HD and can be had for not a lot of coin.

AR cost more and while a great to have a lot of people like (myself included) for HD, That and while you thinking about what you want in an AR platform, you can see what other people have and are building and maybe go the build your own as a side project.

IMO AR.

G19 is already great for HD. Shotty's are also great, but are more cumbersome and most likely will be locked in some safe outside the bedroom especially if you have kids. The HG you can have right by your bed or any room in a small inconspicuous fast-access lockbox like a Gun Vault.

Sure nothing beats a shotty fire-power wise for typical HD/SD ranges, but you have to think about how long it will take to grab it, then move it around corners, etc in your house. I have a Benelli Nova Tactical, its a great shotgun, so I'm not biased against them, just pointing out some things to consider.

Unless you get into trap shooting or competition like 3 gun with the shotty, it will most likely be collecting dust except for the occasional blasting of a few slugs and buckshot down at some paper. With the AR you can have a never ending project of fun. You can reach out to much further ranges, and hone your rifle handling and accuracy skills. You can build it to chase single holes as a precision or semi-precision platform, all the way to a lightweight quick-handling CQB type setup and anything in-between. The AR has so many options that you will spend countless hours researching various options online. You will find yourself constantly looking at new uppers, stocks, sights, barrels, muzzle devices, grips, handguards, BCG's, FCG's, etc ,etc.

Just be aware there is a big price difference between a typical 870 shotty over a quality built AR platform.

Everyone makes great points.

I'm thinking maybe I get a 12ga now as well as a stripped lower.

Then I can take my time and get what I want as I need it. Would also make the most sense financially.

I'm just worried I'll have trouble building my first AR.

It's actually not that bad about 4 guys at work. Have started and completed builds. There is plenty of resources here you can use, and I'm putting together mine now. If you.need help send me a pm, I'm not an expert but I.have helped everyone at work.with there's.

Get both. You can always pick up a used Mossy 500 or something of the sort for 200 bucks.

Even cheaper if you buy used. I picked up my used 500A for $100.

If you do end up buying a AR make sure the barrel is stamped 5.56 so you can shoot both 5.56+.223, if the barrel is stamped .223 you can't shoot 5.56 through it

Good rule of thumb, but not entirely true. Just read this article from LuckGunner this morning and it really goes in-depth comparing the .223 and the 5.56. Before I read the article, I didn't know that 5.56 does not have a SAAMI standard but the .223 does.

I do agree though, generally you want to pick up a 5.56 chambered barrel since it's more likely to be able to take both rounds.

5.56 will rarely overpenetrate. Its my go to HD round.

Not to say pistol cartridges can't over penetrate, but are you really saying that after watching a 5.56 round go through a wall and break 3,1 gallon jugs, that it "rarely" over penetrates. Obviously the bullet type will be a huge factor, but that video didn't persuade me the least, lol. Maybe you were speaking only in terms of target penetration. Also, the possibility of penetration of the target is still pretty high, ballistics gel does a pretty good job at simulating wounds, however it is based off muscle density, and were not 100% muscle. On the other hand you have bones and such to stop bullets, so it really could go either way. either way i think the point is moot, you can find almost any caliber bullet to do what you need it to in terms of increasing damage and decreasing penetration.

If you think 3 jugs is a lot, Fire a 9mm or .45acp though the same drywall and jugs, I guarantee it will penetrate more. The little fast rifle round will break up in a target much more easily then a fatter slower pistol round.

The gentleman that made that video has made dozens on dozens with handgun calibers and different ammo and most of it (9mm and up) had gone deeper then the 12 inches that the 5.56 made it. and also don't forget that 5.56 test was with m193 FMJ

Don't waste your money on a shotgun unless you plan on using it for something fun, like trap shooting or hunting. Otherwise it's just gonna collect dust. Sure, you can take it out to the range, fire a few rounds of buckshot through it... but it's a shotgun...

ARs are more fun.