Shawnmoore81

Batman Massacre

Prayers and thoughts to those affected. This incident hits really close to home as this was the theater I frequented the most when I was stationed at Buckley AFB (the base is 5-10m from this location). Having spent a significant time there, I had grown roots in the Aurora community, developing friendships with local friends and businesses. Of course there are also the personnel and their families that I've been frantic about, and have been coordinating with to ensure that no military personnel were victims. Fortunately all of my friends and acquaintances are ok, and I haven't heard of any military personnel being victims.

As for the theater being a gun free zone, it's being more and more common in Colorado, which is a real shame. As for the are itself, not the greatest area. The socioeconomic status being those who probably couldn't afford the process to get a CCW and carry gun. Talk about hegemonic gun control already in effect... saddening and maddening.

This incident is so sad on so many different levels. Innocent children/adults injured and/or dead and gun ownership rights of law abiding citizens coming into question, once again. Has anyone heard if he owned those weapons legally or not?

Actually yes - there was a report that some Military personnel were among the victims - Fox news says 3 military service members were among the injured.

CNN's "Expert report" about this is REALLY pissing me off.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/07/20/justice/colorado-shooting-weapons/index.html?hpt=hp_c2

The "Expert" said that a shotgun would fire in a funnel shape and "one blast is going to kill or seriously injure 10 or 15 people".....

..... WHAT?

The trailer for the upcoming movie Gangster Squad was pulled because there is a part in the trailer where guys have a shootout in a movie theater, And they are discussing this on the news, Seriously?!

Actually yes - there was a report that some Military personnel were among the victims - Fox news says 3 military service members were among the injured.

CNN's "Expert report" about this is REALLY pissing me off.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/07/20/justice/colorado-shooting-weapons/index.html?hpt=hp_c2

The "Expert" said that a shotgun would fire in a funnel shape and "one blast is going to kill or seriously injure 10 or 15 people".....

..... WHAT?

If not funnel shaped Nick, what would you call it? In movie theater seating I could see multiple casualties.

But a sensational comment none the less.

They just had the Mayor of Philidelpha speak on gun control. What a piece of shit, anything to push personal agenda. Not even 24 hours since this happened and they all jump on the band wagon to get their 10 minutes of air time.

So here's what I've gathered so far:

• Suspect was age 24.
  • Allegedly going for a PhD in neuroscience, with rumors of him going through the process to withdraw.
  • Suspect used an AR15 style rifle, a Remington 870 shotgun, and a .40 caliber Glock. A second .40 Glock was found in his vehicle. It is undetermined whether or not is was used in the incident.
  • The suspect's vehicle was a white Hyundai parked at the rear of the complex.
  • Apparent chemical dispersion devices were used, releasing an unknown airborne irritant.
  • Police responded to the scene in about 1.5 minutes from the first 911 call.
  • Police apprehended the shooter at the rear of the movie theater with minimal incident.
  • Reports suggest that the suspect was wearing "Tactical" apparel. I have not seen anything definitive suggesting that it was bullet resistant.
  • Reports suggest that 10 victims died on the movie premises, while 2 succumbed to their injuries at the hospital.

Trying to gather facts from this type of situation is always difficult and I'm trying my best to cut through the crap that reporters are reading off their teleprompters. There's a lot of speculation. Hardly any facts.

Saw this..Any truth to this?

http://www.youtube.c...d&v=Q9jn_qUXtMk

From a psychological perspective yes, this is true. Research proves out the type of influence the coverage has. Not so much the coverage itself but the commonality a viewer may find and a feeling like, "hey, I'm not the only one who feels like this, I'm not the only one who wants to do something about it, this person did it". Idolization may occur and it could lead to action.

This is similar to when a very famous or beloved person commits suicide and it is well publicized. Suicide rates show temporary spikes... so do plane crashes!!! There is a whole line of study into this sort of stuff, very interesting, some of it scary. Next time you get on the plane after a well publicized suicide ask to speak to the captain. Ask him how he is doing and tell him you are really looking forward to seeing your loved ones when you land.