Colt1911

How long do I soak my new kimber?

Ok guys hope I'm posting this in the right section( I'm new here). I just bought a brand new Kimber ultra CDP 2 in .45 acp. After buying the gun,range bag, and some ammo I didn't have much money left so I decided to forgo buying a cleaning kit for $60.Anywho I took this little doll out for a test ride today and got her a little filthy running some cheap ammo through her. So since I didn't have a cleaning kit when I got home I placed it in the tub with hot water and a little bit of ammonia (mr. Clean if that matters). Now what I'm wondering is how long I should let it soak? It's been several hours and it still looks dirty. I was thinking maybe overnight but I didnt know if that would be too long. Thanks

Ok guys hope I'm posting this in the right section( I'm new here). I just bought a brand new Kimber ultra CDP 2 in .45 acp. After buying the gun,range bag, and some ammo I didn't have much money left so I decided to forgo buying a cleaning kit for $60.Anywho I took this little doll out for a test ride today and got her a little filthy running some cheap ammo through her. So since I didn't have a cleaning kit when I got home I placed it in the tub with hot water and a little bit of ammonia (mr. Clean if that matters). Now what I'm wondering is how long I should let it soak? It's been several hours and it still looks dirty. I was thinking maybe overnight but I didnt know if that would be too long. Thanks

It works better if you stick your head under and agitate the mixture by blowing bubbles. :crazy:

I can't believe anyone that buys a gun like that wouldn't know to use a little salt in the water too. Then if you leave it long enough it will disappear altogether.

Edited by NJJim

Pics or it never happened. Also everyone knows if you dont have a cleaning kit you use brillo pads.

Ok, I am no expert, but I would not put any of my firearms in water or touch ammonia. Water and metal don't mix well for obvious reasons (rust). Unless you take the gun apart and dry EVERYTHING completely, you may encounter some rusting. Ammonia, I have read can also damage metal. Although some bore solvents have ammonia, my understanding it is different from household ammonia. If you put a little ammonia in a tub full of water, the concentration may be so low as to not cause an issue regarding the ammonia eating your metal.

As for the cleaning part, just soaking in water (or even a commercial gun cleaning solvent), won't necessarily clean the gun. You will probably need to apply some elbow grease. Q-tips, soft cotton cloth, nylon bristle toothbrushes are good to use. In the end, you will need to lubricate your firearm parts. I think here you must bite the bullet and buy gun oil.

Your Kimber manual probably tells you how to clean it. It certainly should tell you how to assemble and disassemble it.

Cheap way to help get the water out your gun is to stick it in rice. That will absorb the water. Then you will need to clean off the starch residue by using a cloth to wipe it down.

With all due respect, the Kimber is a really nice (not cheap) gun, so I would get gun cleaning solvent and oil, q-tips, a kid size soft toothbrush and splurge on a boresnake.

Hope this helps.

After a good range session I open the actions, lay them all out on the driveway, and blast them with the pressure washer (much quicker than soaking). Then I hang them up, muzzle down, on the clothesline to dry. If its not sunny out, I will put them on the sneaker rack in the dryer. Problem with the dryer is I have to pull the barrels off the rifle stocks so they fit in. Make sure you have quality optics, one of the barska only survived a few cycles.

After a good range session I open the actions, lay them all out on the driveway, and blast them with the pressure washer (much quicker than soaking). Then I hang them up, muzzle down, on the clothesline to dry. If its not sunny out, I will put them on the sneaker rack in the dryer. Problem with the dryer is I have to pull the barrels off the rifle stocks so they fit in. Make sure you have quality optics, one of the barska only survived a few cycles.

Might be the best reply yet.