Rob0115

Screwed by USPS

I mailed to a buyer a complete upper via USPS insured. The box gets delivered empty to the purchaser. I filed the insurance claim and it was denied. They said the upper receiver, which isn't a firearm, wasn't mailable. One I thought USPS would transport firearms and secondly this bit wasn't even a firearm.

Now get this, they won't return the upper receiver either! No part, no insurance payment. They won't even refund the insurance premium since they delivered the empty box.

I'm dumbfounded by this. I don't even know where to go next.

If you did not ship a lower receiver then you did not ship a firearm, you shipped parts. There is no restriction that I am aware of against shipping *PARTS*. In future discussions with them, do not use the word "firearm", use the word "parts".

Talk to the postmaster for the town where it was shipped from. If no favorable response there then police and/or lawyer.

Don't know how it is now, but years ago I dealt with the postal inspectors and they did very well by me. Turned out to be an ebay fraud issue. Inspectors don't have jurisdictional lines to deal with. From Jersey they were able to intercept my money order in Oregon. Got my money back a a perp got arrested.

If the police don't get involved, you can always tell them you shipped a fully-automatic M16 and that you would like it back.

Maybe receiver scamming you. Why the hell would PO deliver a box with side blown out and nothing in it with out noting it

I would assume they spoke with him. Maybe my bad. However the post office said the contents were unmailable, thus I think they have it according to them.

I mailed to a buyer a complete upper via USPS insured. The box gets delivered empty to the purchaser. I filed the insurance claim and it was denied. They said the upper receiver, which isn't a firearm, wasn't mailable. One I thought USPS would transport firearms and secondly this bit wasn't even a firearm.

Now get this, they won't return the upper receiver either! No part, no insurance payment. They won't even refund the insurance premium since they delivered the empty box.

I'm dumbfounded by this. I don't even know where to go next.

What are you saying?

Are you saying the USPS opened the box, removed the upper receiver, delivered an empty box and are fixing to keep it?

Are they admitting they're keeping the upper receiver?

I've used the USPS to mail uppers before. This by no means my first time doing this. I spoke to a guy in St Loius who said I can't mail firearms, which this, isn't using USPS. I also believe that his statement was wrong and you can mail them to an FFL, which I've done in the past.

The USPS doesn't have x-ray vision but do randomly x-ray packages--so I was told by the guy today.

Sometimes I feel bad for going paperless with the bills and taking away from USPS's business, but it incidents like these that solidifies my decision. Sorry to hear the ordeal you're going through.

Also something to watch for, which I didn't know till it happened. I ordered a part which was being shipped to me via UPS. After a few days of tracking online, I was surprised that UPS transferred the pkg to USPS for final delivery. Luckily my part did come in the mail, but once it hit USPS's systems, UPS tracking ends at that point.

Did this happen to anyone else?