M1152

Asian Mosquitoes Zeroes in on NJ

you guys see this one? Cut & pasted from the story:

“The Asian tiger mosquito is an extremely aggressive insect that has largely supplanted japonicus since 2008, especially in urban and suburban areas,” Eric Green, the mosquito control officer for Passaic County, told The Record. The japonicus mosquito, he explained, is an insect that feeds primarily on birds and is known to spread disease among its hosts.

The Asian tiger mosquito could be “a more efficient disease vector, especially for West Nile virus,” he said, because “it bites in daytime and could put more people at risk.”

here's the link to the Channel 10 (Philly)  story

should be a fun summer...

I'm am heavily annoyed by these f*ckers. I bought my place a few years back when I moved out of the city.  I proceeded to play catch with my son outside to celebrate buying our new home.  Well, the ATM celebrated also.  I thought I must have touched poison ivy or something.

Mosquito stops sucking when you slap it!!! :)

I thought maybe you were going for "a happy ending".

I can't say that I pay too much attention to mosquitoes to know the difference, I just kill them. I have a few welts on me now from this weekend. My poor daughter has some serious ones on her arm.

you guys see this one? Cut & pasted from the story:

“The Asian tiger mosquito is an extremely aggressive insect that has largely supplanted japonicus since 2008, especially in urban and suburban areas,” Eric Green, the mosquito control officer for Passaic County, told The Record. The japonicus mosquito, he explained, is an insect that feeds primarily on birds and is known to spread disease among its hosts.

The Asian tiger mosquito could be “a more efficient disease vector, especially for West Nile virus,” he said, because “it bites in daytime and could put more people at risk.”

here's the link to the Channel 10 (Philly)  story

should be a fun summer...

i've been seeing these little bastards for a few years now. they breed easier than our native mosquitos, as they need less standing water. they're out all hours of the day, and they don't stop coming at you till you squish them. very very annoying.

I spray my backyard with Cutter yard spray around the perimeter - the kind where you connect the bottle to a hose.  It does a good job keeping them away for several weeks or until there is a heavy rain.  The OFF belt mounted repellant fans work well for the kids.  I wear two of them when I'm in the garden so I don't have to spray insect repellant all over my clothes.  They work. 

We've had them here in Gloucester county for a few years now. These mosquitoes seem to be out all day long and not just in the evening. They'll bite you in the face or where ever they can land... even if you cover yourself with Deet they'll bite you right through your clothes. They don't fly away when you swat at them, they just keep buzzing around trying to land on you. They're aggressive and their bite oft times can be felt. I hate 'em with a passion.

I'd say I've had them here in Franklin Park about 4 or 5 years, and yes, I've noticed they've supplanted the regular (yellow fever) mosquito. They're nasty, they're smaller and you can't hear them most of the time and don't realize they're around until they bite you. Usually late afternoon early evening is when they're worst, I've found. It seems like they come up out of the lawn if I'm out doing something in the yard that time of day. I understand they only need about a thimble full amount of water to breed.

I remember the DDT clouds when the Hackensack Water Company came in and sprayed around the reservoir and swamps and woods along the Hackensack up my way when I was a kid.

I was tilling the garden yesterday when I noticed my neighbor had some wooden box, about 3' by 3' ,against my fence that contains about 6 inches of standing water and what looks like some sort of aquatic plants.  It was hidden from view until I cleared some brush.

The perfect breeder for any type of mosquito.  Maybe I should slip in a little pool chlorine.  Not good for the plants, but good for us in the yard who are getting eaten alive.

This is the same woman who told me to pound sand after her dead trees squashed my fence in the storm.

This is the same woman who told me to pound sand after her dead trees squashed my fence in the storm.

Not to change the subject, but that's the NJ law. Doesn't matter where the tree came from....once it's on your property, it becomes your problem. Sucks...but that's the way it's written.