deerpark

Anyone else afraid to buy/own ammo?

I am. 

Hell, I cant even shoot it, still waiting on my FID card.  I do take some to PA when I shoot with friends. 

Between my 223, 22lr and 9mm (and other various calibers), Ive got a few thousand rounds.  Of-course the 22lr alone is about 4,000 rounds but those are in 500 round bricks.  

Youve read the "news" articles.  They report owning "large" amounts of ammo as though its a crime.   

What the hell. 

Why can't you shoot it. FID is a permit to purchase, not to own or shoot it. Reload. It ain't ammo till you load it!

You can never have too much ammo in the safe!

Can't buy handgun ammo in NJ without an FID, at least as far as I know.....

I have never been afraid to buy ammo in bulk, if you shoot alot it is the only cost effective way to shoot if you aren't going to reload.  I thought I had a lot stockpiled, until I started talking to some other members and I realized my hoard is nothing compared to some others.  

People do talk about owning a lot of ammo as if it's a crime. Remember when the media was agog about the CO shooter's "arsenal" of 6000 rounds, purchased through the internet? At the recent temple Emanuel anti-rally, Cryan told the crowd that no one keeps more than 10,000 rounds.

It may not be a crime, but I'll bet once ammo purchases start being logged, as is happening with the SAFE act in NY and would happen if S2723 passes here, we will start seeing large ammo purchases being used as probable cause for 4th amendment violations.

If S2723 passes, I'm never buying in NJ again.

Not at all--although I am very afraid to buy at some of the high prices of late--especially 9mm!

Anytime I can get a commodity that I use as a consumable at a good price, I will stock up.  If I am afraid prices might go up or become volatile in the near future, I will buy even more.  I would happilly buy 10s of thousands of rounds right now if I could get really great prices--at current prices I am just buying hundres to thousands of rounds at a time.

You know, it crossed my mind when i officially ran out of room to keep it in my locker.  It really has to do more with the prices being out of wack,so I bought when it was cheap and now I can nurse it along until hopefully i can afford it again.  i use it for target practice.

Youve read the "news" articles.  They report owning "large" amounts of ammo as though its a crime.   

What the hell. 

You are a new shooter.  You will get used to it.

Try to put into perspective how much "large" amounts of ammo actually is, and when you do that, you'll see that a lot of ammo really isn't as much as you think.

If you practice and shoot one event a week you can easily shoot 250 rounds.  Multiply that by a month and then a year and tell me what you get.

All of a sudden 10,000 rounds doesn't seem like a lot, does it?