Tallday

Call Gov. Christie to VETO A2006/S993 @ 609-292-6000

My thought on this are simple. A lot of people have the mag limits and gun laws in general on their minds. Now we should keep moving forward with the same energy to try and change some of the other silly laws before CC is no longer in the building.

I will thank him, but we are still neutered none the less, and I will not let up on my phone calls.

The first order of business should be to thank the Gov if you hadn’t done so already. Thank him, wish the staff a Happy 4th and move along because he don’t write the legislation, the legislators do.  The second thing should be to start pounding the Dems to get control of state spending and getting them to focus on real issues that impact the middle class like property taxes, jobs and the high cost of living and doing business in this state.  Forget about advancing 2A in this state with DEMS in control, they will never give up their anti 2A agenda because that is their go to/smoke & mirrors issue.  We need to make them accountable for what they should be doing, not what they think they should be doing.

The bill was the last major piece of gun control legislation Democrats pushed in the aftermath of the Sandy Hook massacre. Originally, Senate President Stephen Sweeney (D-Gloucester), who represents a competitive legislative district, refused to move it even though it had passed the Assembly. But after he won a new four-year term in November, he agreed to put it up for a vote in the upper house, saying lobbying from Sandy Hook families had changed his mind.

-----------------------

This bill should have never reached this stage. Sweeney ducked his commitment and responsibility to his citizens.

Lobbying from Sandy Hook families ?  He should move to CT if so interested in Sandy Hook families.

I also called and emailed my district reps who voted NO, thanking them and urging them for continued support.

I liked your idea, did this also. Unfortunately it was only 1 call.

Ironic how Sweeney tabled it last yr, knew it would cost him reelection. We need to rock the vote my friends!

Did this happen on the 2nd?

Am I seeing the symbolism? Or, if I'm wrong, through rocks at me and call me stupid.....

It will hurt so good

Decent symbolism.... And yes, it *did* happen on the 2nd, but I'm thinking the greater symbolism might have been in the anti's attempt to get at CC with the Sandy Hook families and their petition. They showed up at his office to deliver their petition to sign the bills, they did not get an audience, and then 1 hour later, CC's office published the veto message.

Awfully interesting timing if you ask me... :)

I thanked him in an email and received this response:

Dear Mr. XXXXX:

Thank you for writing to express your views regarding recent gun legislation. I appreciate hearing your views on this important issue.

Since my first term as Governor of New Jersey, and as the former United States Attorney for our State, my commitment to reducing violent crimes has been unwavering. In 2013, I convened the NJ SAFE Task Force which provided recommendations that served as the groundwork for my comprehensive and common sense plan to address the factors contributing to violence: focusing on the treatment of mental illness, bolstering the criminal penalties for gun crimes, and ending the revolving door of bail for the most serious and dangerous offenders. More than one year later, and despite no opposition, these obvious improvements to our criminal justice system languish unaddressed by the New Jersey State Legislature and unavailable to law enforcement.

I have now put forward a new set of recommended changes to our State's mental health laws that promise new hope in the fight against mass violence. My recommendations begin with the simple premise that physicians, clinicians, courts and families need the flexibility to intervene when the warning signs of mental illness signal imminent danger. First, to ensure that those in crisis can receive the help they need, I propose a new standard that will allow for the involuntary commitment of persons whose mental illness could, if left untreated, deteriorate to the point of becoming dangerous. Similarly, my proposal creates a new, clear separation between mental illness and other cognitive disabilities to make certain individuals are committed to involuntary treatment in the setting most appropriate for their condition.

Second, my recommendations amend current law to eliminate judicial concerns and clinical frustrations regarding the factors to be considered when recommending involuntary outpatient treatment. Individuals would then be evaluated based on a medically sound set of standards to provide predictable guidance for courts and clinicians to determine whether involuntary outpatient treatment is appropriate.

Third, my recommendations end the existing broken loops in mental health treatment by streamlining the transfer of patients between involuntary inpatient and outpatient treatment programs as deemed appropriate by clinicians.

Fourth, I recommend new training programs for first responders, those most likely to encounter persons in crisis with modern techniques for de-escalation and, where necessary, prompt referral for screening and commitment.

Finally, my recommendations strengthen our State's already rigorous gun laws to require a person previously involuntarily committed to mental health treatment to demonstrate adequate

medical evidence of suitability to obtain a firearms purchaser identification card.

We can insist that elected officials pass laws that will bring about meaningful change. Facing the intersection between untreated mental illnesses and mass violence is exactly the kind of real reform our State would welcome and it is a chance to examine the real causes of mass violence.

Thank you again for writing.

Sincerely,

Chris Christie

Governor

So I guess this means CC will run for Prez.

This also means AHole Sweeney and the MULTITUDE of other left wing statists in NJ will fully employ incrementalism to alter change suit their agenda piece by piece. I FULLY expect some ridiculous "5 round restriction" or other such derelict non-effect non-sense "law" easily within the next 10 years and with NO redress of substantive core issues such as mental illness treatment, crime, poverty, jobs and TAXES. Maybe, maybe not, but one thing is for sure. The fools and idiots in ctrl of the majority of power in this lil state has not ceased to surprise us in any way.

And look at it this way. As a kid growing up, 30-rd mags in my 10/22 and clipped together into 60-rds at a free and public outdoor range, was NO BIG DEAL.

Now we are "Grateful" for "1 5 - r d s" ? ? ?

Soon, following this logic to its proper ("common sense") conclusion: we will be "Grateful" for 10-7-6-5-3-1-0 rd 'mags'...

I called and thanked Christie. 

It is quite unclear that he was even remotely acting on principles, largely because he did not act expediently on this.  And, as he brought forth his common sense statement while vetoing, if he was acting on principle, he would have commented that the 15-round magazine ban was also ridiculous and wouldn't do anything except make us less safe and punish law-abiding citizens.  Still, he systematically counters the Statist, Democratic bill. 

In my opinion, this is maybe a temporary sigh of relief for us, but a long shot from what was and is needed.  Instead, it has come across to me as being political.  This delayed and lackluster showing needs to be brought out in the national media.  Christie did good, but could have done better.  Had he come forth on the 4th of July, that  might have made a stronger appearance in support of the Bill of Rights.

The national audience needs to know that he still cannot be entirely trusted when it comes to our rights and the 2nd Amendment.