Malsua

Looks like snow...

The snow that's coming down now will stop in the hour or so.   I had an inch or so when I got home last night and there's another inch or so on the ground this morning but overall, huge bust.

The storm was 50 miles east of the predicted path and it cut out pretty much everything west of the Hudson river.  Eastern long island got crushed and Boston is going to get hammered pretty hard.  It looks like NYC still got 8 inches, but I've not seen any reports yet.

what a pathetic forecasting....... even the "now"casting was wrong....

Don't worry, there's an Alberta Clipper coming through this week and it'll drop a trace to 4, somewhere north of Georgia and south of the Hudson Bay and they'll high five for "nailing it".

The apologies are rolling in ... http://www.cnbc.com/id/102371281

Whoops.

For most of New York and New Jersey, what was supposed to be the Blizzard of 2015 turned into the Bust of the Century instead.

As the sun rose Monday, there were forecasts that New York City and northern New Jersey could conceivably see 24 to 36 inches of snow from a storm described as "crippling" and "historic."

By sunrise Tuesday, Central Park had only 6.3 inches of snow, with the National Weather Service acknowledging there might as little as 2 more inches on the way. Parts of New Jersey that had been in line for as much as 18 inches ended up with as little as 3 inches

went to bed last night around 12:30'ish. there was nothing coming outta the sky. woke up this morning, and if there's 2 inches, that may be pushing it.

shit......i WISH i could make six figures, be wrong as often as these clowns are, and still make six figures.

I've lived my life with the premise of not making plans based on the weather forecast. And yet I closed my office for today, because they sounded so certain. Oh well, guess I can settle in, enjoy the warmth of the fire from my wood stove, and use the time to get a few things done around the house.

Sensationalism = Ratings = Revenue

Gov't Sensationalism = Panic = Gov't Dependence

My thoughts exactly. I never depend on network news for accurate weather or any thing else for that mater. My weather app (Weather Underground) predicted 3-5 for last two days even though network news was saying 10" to 18" IMHO take your TV out to the range and use it for target practice. 

Sensationalism = Ratings = Revenue

Gov't Sensationalism = Panic = Gov't Dependence

Not to defend this epic fail but I will anyway.  At issue here was how soon the energy moving up the coast caught the energy coming from the west.   They hit at the right time but the low didn't intensify as quickly as was modeled.  

The only real big downside to this is that most people are going to ignore all such warnings about blizzards and big snow totals until we get another one that delivers and catches everyone with their pants around their ankles.

The storm of the century dropped 2 1/2" here...3/4" of that during the overnight hours when the most deadly effects of the record-breaking blizzard were to hit.

And last night I'm pretty sure I heard one of the talking TV weather heads referred to this as a possible extinction event... (after all of the other superlatives had been used up)

I stopped in at Home Depot to pick up a new gas can so I had extra for the generator and blower.  All they had were a couple of 1-gallon cans, so I bought them and filled up before the apocalypse.  Now I have plenty of gas stinking up the garage.

Well, at least I can dump the gas into the car before long.

Not to defend this epic fail but I will anyway.  At issue here was how soon the energy moving up the coast caught the energy coming from the west.   They hit at the right time but the low didn't intensify as quickly as was modeled.  

The only real big downside to this is that most people are going to ignore all such warnings about blizzards and big snow totals until we get another one that delivers and catches everyone with their pants around their ankles.

Another downside is budget. Lets just say I contracted for certain agency and saw a pattern of exaggeration early in the season to burn all overtime and ask for more budget (or throw tantrums) when a real one comes through.

I've lived my life with the premise of not making plans based on the weather forecast. And yet I closed my office for today, because they sounded so certain. Oh well, guess I can settle in, enjoy the warmth of the fire from my wood stove, and use the time to get a few things done around the house.

it's part of why i always say that if my truck comes out of the driveway, i'll come to work. i don't care if the roads are clear or not, this truck generally gets through nearly anything.

Pathetic. I've been laughing at the "state of emergency" announced in NJ last year (or 2 years ago, don't remember) in January - I think there was more snow that time than now. Right now there is probably 1-2" on the garage roof next to my apartment building (I even see black roof texture through the layer of snow there) and clearly nobody was cleaning a roof, LOL, so that's pretty much all we had here in Bloomfield.

My son is upset - he wanted to play with snow and was excited to finally see some :-)