Old Glock guy

Montvale man fires shots into transformer

Debbie Downer alert- that "liquid" was most likely laced with PCBs. Wonder if any hazmat crews were notified, thats badazz stuff.

I just checked the PCB registration database and there are no hits for transformers in Monvale.

I can understand the frustration! The article didn't say US Rifle, just that it was from WWII, so it could be Japanese or German too! PROOF that IF you want to really do a job right, reach for a real gun, .30 cal or better!

2 shots in the middle of the night, 2 hits, 80 years old: Maybe his punishment should be to teach the cops how to shoot without 30 round magazines (and hit what they aim for), LOL!

I know a cop who blew away a fire siren with a .38 snubby that went off right over his head for every call. Talk about frustrating and can't hear yourself think! Chief had what was left of the slug sent to the NJSP crime lab for forensic evaluation. NO result--not enough of the slug in one piece by the time the fan blades got a hold of it!

Only in NJ!

Dave

Debbie Downer alert- that "liquid" was most likely laced with PCBs. Wonder if any hazmat crews were notified, thats badazz stuff.

Transformers have a mineral oil like substance in them. I guess its like an electrolytic. But its still a hazmat issue, just not carcinogenic.

I want to know what he shot it with. 2 hits at 3 in the morning. I want one.

Old Power Line Transformer. Containing PCB

by Energyfuture

published on Jan 5, 2009

PCB - PCB's are a very dangerous chemical used in old transformers such as this one.

Edit- tried to show a pic-the old big metal transformer tanks were loaded with pcb laced oil. Been fasedout in the new ones. Been more than a few scrap yards seeing hazmat issues from them.

Old Power Line Transformer. Containing PCB

by Energyfuture

published on Jan 5, 2009

PCB - PCB's are a very dangerous chemical used in old transformers such as this one.

Edit- tried to show a pic-the old big metal transformer tanks were loaded with pcb laced oil. Been fasedout in the new ones. Been more than a few scrap yards seeing hazmat issues from them.

Since at least 1999, ANYTHING that has PCBs in it must be registered. Every transformer or other electrical device that has them has to have an end of life plan. The number of transformers with PCBs is nothing like it was back in the 70s and earlier.

The town I grew up in was the site of one of the first superfund sites...plugged up with barrels PCBs from Monsanto and the smattering of cadmium, chromium, you know, all that good stuff. The site is called Summit National, otherwise known to us locals as "The Deerfield Dump". http://www.epa.gov/superfund/sites/query/queryhtm/nplfin.htm#OH

I remember backing the truck up at that place in the 70s and shoving a bunch of junk into the ravine and seeing barrels all over. Consequently, PCBs have always been near and dear to my heart :icon_e_confused:

(I posted this response to a thread on another forum this morning, for this happened on the other side of town from me.)

For the person arrested, those of us who know him in the community are very, very shocked at this happenstance. Maybe in the news some good aspects of his life will come out later this week. I hope so. He served his country in Korea, and is a Chorwon Chapter member with the American Legion. He was very involved with the American Legion in Bergen County. He has also served his community for decades involved with Scouting. It was commonplace to see him at an Eagle Scout ceremony handing out awards from the community on behalf of the American Legion. It was also common to see his 'letters to the editor' published from time to time in The Record promoting gun rights, of which he was an ardent supporter. I only hope that he can get the help he needs for indeed he was frustrated at something that day.

In another day, another state, another time; he would just be some fellow blowing off some steam at the situation.

Everyone should hope they at least reach 80 someday, and maybe pray a little that they age healthy, gracefully and quietly past that milestone.

(I posted this response to a thread on another forum this morning, for this happened on the other side of town from me.)

For the person arrested, those of us who know him in the community are very, very shocked at this happenstance. Maybe in the news some good aspects of his life will come out later this week. I hope so. He served his country in Korea, and is a Chorwon Chapter member with the American Legion. He was very involved with the American Legion in Bergen County. He has also served his community for decades involved with Scouting. It was commonplace to see him at an Eagle Scout ceremony handing out awards from the community on behalf of the American Legion. It was also common to see his 'letters to the editor' published from time to time in The Record promoting gun rights, of which he was an ardent supporter. I only hope that he can get the help he needs for indeed he was frustrated at something that day.

In another day, another state, another time; he would just be some fellow blowing off some steam at the situation.

Thanks for bring up there is while maybe not more to the story that what happened, what and who the man is.

Everyone should hope they at least reach 80 someday,

Now with that said, I hope so also, but have a feeling if I do, I'll be kicking myself in the butt saying I should have take better care of myself.:icon_mrgreen:

Harry

Now with that said, I hope so also, but have a feeling if I do, I'll be kicking myself in the butt saying I should have take better care of myself.:icon_mrgreen:

Harry

He also suffered a mild stroke last year, something he and his family have struggled with.

Everyone should hope they at least reach 80 someday, and maybe pray a little that they age healthy, gracefully and quietly past that milestone.

I have to hope a judge is going to see it for what it was. Being 80 years old ain't the easiest thing in the world on even a good day. Now factor in the fact that this guy was likely sleep deprived, dehydrated from the humidity & lack of AC, and every joint in his body was probably screaming from all the tension & stress of the storm. He didn't shoot a person. He was at the end of his rope and he simply shot an object. Make him pay for the damage & perhaps some probation, but this does not sound like a situation where there is anything to gain by having this guy spend even a day in prison over the matter.

I have to hope a judge is going to see it for what it was. Being 80 years old ain't the easiest thing in the world on even a good day. Now factor in the fact that this guy was likely sleep deprived, dehydrated from the humidity & lack of AC, and every joint in his body was probably screaming from all the tension & stress of the storm. He didn't shoot a person. He was at the end of his rope and he simply shot an object. Make him pay for the damage & perhaps some probation, but this does not sound like a situation where there is anything to gain by having this guy spend even a day in prison over the matter.

Sounds about right to me! Maybe the guys at the Legion and/or Boy Scouts would scrape up a few bucks to pay the Power Co.?

Sounds about right to me! Maybe the guys at the Legion and/or Boy Scouts would scrape up a few bucks to pay the Power Co.?

The boy scouts have a hard enough time raising money they dont need to pay for some idiots mistake..

For all you know this old fart could be loaded, let him pay for his own stupidity..