StriderTB

Science quiz! See how you stack up.

13/13 " You scored better than 93% of the public and the same as 7%."

I'm just an old guy, bitterly clinging to my guns and Bible.

If the results are really that bad, it's scary and shows how people are bamboozled to elect the kind of politicians they do.

You answered 12 of 13 questions correctly.

You scored better than 85% of the public, below 7% and the same as 8%.

I thought that was good until I read the responses in this thread. Apparently I actually suck. Either that or the people who did worse aren't posting...

This is a retard quiz, not a science quiz. I'm glad most of you got 12 or higher, I can see some people (nobody I know) simply not knowing one answer.

Was it the male/female one? 'Cause honestly that one had me stumped for a good 15 minutes.

You answered 12 of 13 questions correctly :)

happy to be in the company of well read individuals :)

I was going through it too fast, should've thought a lil longer on this one. obvious answer ...

Which gas makes up most of the Earth's atmosphere?

You answered "Carbon dioxide"

The correct answer is "Nitrogen"

You answered 13 of 13 questions correctly.

This quiz is a joint effort between the Pew Research Center and Smithsonian magazine.

You scored better than 93% of the public and the same as 7%.

when I went to school I was allowed to bring in my unloaded cap gun to show and tell, and we had Metal and wood shop courses....also my 8th grade science teacher was a babe so I hung on every word she said.

True, but the question was worded to pick any greenhouse gas... CO2 is actually worse than methane, but ONLY because there is double+ the amount and it stays up there longer..

molecule to molecue, methane traps 25 times more heat than CO2.

Water vapor is responsible for about 95% of the heat retention of reflected solar energy.

CO2 is a trace gas. It's ability to retain solar radiation maxes out in two rather narrow infrared spectrum bands fairly early. Once saturation is met, adding more CO2 to the atmosphere doesn't increase warming.

Think of it like colors bands. You know that white light contains every color of the spectrum. CO2 can only stop a very narrow band of color, say certain greens. Once you've stopped all of those greens from reflecting back into space, no matter how much more CO2 you add to the atmosphere, the reds, blues, purples, yellows, etc will still be reflected back to space, even at 100% concentration of CO2. Methane on the other hand stops 25 times more of the spectrum than CO2. Water vapor blocks 95% of the spectrum of light.

Water Vapor works in both directions. As sunlight hits the oceans, water vapor is created....it goes into the sky and traps heat. So why doesn't the planet boil over? Water Vapor in the sky then reflects new incoming heat back to space, cooling the planet. Mars and Venus both have atmospheres full of Carbon dioxide. One is hot, one is cold. It's all about the density and the lack of nitrogen rather than the composition.

Besides...if you think CO2 is heating the planet...read what NASA recently published about the gas: http://principia-sci...atmosphere.html

"New Discovery: NASA discovery proves carbon dioxide cools the atmosphere"

"Which is the better way to determine whether a new drug is effective in treating a disease? If a scientist has a group of 1,000 volunteers with the disease to study, should she…"

C. Get back in the kitchen.

I find this question very sexist.