this_is_nascar

Does Anyone NOT Customize Their OEM Guns?

I'm not referring to firearms that you would build from scratch, but is there anyone that simply buys a new gun and leaves it as is, with changing the grips maybe being the only exception? I'm less that 3-years getting into and learning about firearms and the overwhelming trend seems to be for people to spend hundreds, if not thousands for a piece, only to change out a bunch of stuff with "custom" parts/pieces.

Does anyone just buy a gun and shoot it anymore, without performing surgery and transplants?

I rarely change anything to my guns. Off-Duties stay bone stock.

I did change the grips on my Kimber Custom II from the wood to rubber grips.

I Zombified my first 870 with a pistol grip, mag extension and shell holder and sling just in case ;)

I changed the stock set on my GSG5 to HK MP5 stock set that I got from www.rrages.com and that drastically changed the feel of the whole gun.

My AR's are stock and all of my non-duty Glocks are OEM.

I do however plan on building my lower this year and that will be custom but simple.

I think most people probably leave them alone, especially carry guns. It all depends on a person's preference though. Obviously with every instance of a particular model (ie. all Glock 19's) they are going to be identical, but no two people are identical, therefore it may not fit every single person the way they want it. Some people might want a marginally different trigger feel, or some don't like the sights. Since on most handguns, the frame is the part you're stuck with (although you can sometimes modify it with grips and backstraps), you buy a gun that fits your hands, and then if you don't like the trigger, change it. If you don't like the sights, change them.

For me, my Glock 22 I added a rubber grip sleeve because I was having trouble maintaining grip, and I just swapped the disconnector and spring to see how it changes the trigger. On my Beretta 92A1 I put on rubber grip panels and just swapped to an adjustable sight and am considering swapping to a lighter hammer spring to reduce DA pull. My shotguns are all stock except for my Mossberg 500 is getting a fiber optic front sight. My Marlin .308 got a scope. And I don't count AR's, they're so modular that there really is no standard except possibly military.

ETA: I'm also an engineer, and the engineer's motto fully applies in my case. "If it ain't broke, take it apart and fix it."

Glocks - I usually throw night sights on them. For some reason, the 3-dot greens work best for me in all light levels.

Remington 870 Express - put some wood on instead of the synthetic furniture

RIA 1911 Tactical - Replaced wood grips with Pachmyrs and ditched the FLGR for a regular one.

10/22 - Put on new sights to replicate AR-15 pattern peep.

AR-15s - All pretty much customized

Only OEM guns I've got:

-SBS Coach Gun

-Mossberg 930

-Colt King Cobra

-Marlin bolt action .22lr

-S&W 22A

-WASR-10s (for now... I've got plans for them though)

I have not done anything to my Px4 Storm except throw on a Hogue slip on grip.

10/22 I threw on an extended mag release, and it's 10000x easier to remove the mags now.

Pretty much everything else that I did to modify my guns was cosmetic - shell holders, cheek pads, etc.

Almost everything I do to my guns are functional upgrades or are changes to make them fit me better. Round butt mainspring housings on my officer framed 1911 keep the sharp butt from digging into my hand. Solid triggers keep junk out of them (plus, by using short triggers on my .45s and a long trigger on my 9mm EMP, I got the LOP to be within 0.1" of each other). I replaced the grip/thumb safeties on 2 of the 1911's to mimic the feel of my CBOB. And all my 1911's have trijicon night sights on them, so the sight picture is the same on all 3.

When I had my XD-45, aside from a couple pieces of non-slip grip tape, it was exactly as it came from SA. And not that I have my Glock 19, I plan on changing out the sights with something other than the Glock goalposts, but I'm going to run a few hundred rounds through it first to see if there's anything else I want to do (i.e. 3.5# connector and NY-1 spring makes a great carry trigger, from what I've read).

Grips and sights is really all I'd do. I'm not really into trigger kits, expensive trigger jobs. Not to say

they aren't worth the money, but I don't think I could get the most out of them as a shooter. I like

my stuff to stay as close to stock as possible. I don't like mods that cannot be reversed. This is not

a reliability, SD, thing. Just a personal preference.

i have bought brand new guns and grinded them up into pieces within hours..

factory just about never does it for me.. in almost every case something can be improved.. even if it is just improved a little..

the one exception is my Glocks.. they work fine for me out of the box.. and for hitting a man sized target at self defense range (which is all I have them for) there is nothing I have felt the need to do to them to make that happen any better..

can you give a handful of links to actual legal cases that led to prosecution based on the modification of a firearm..

Nope, you will have to do your own research on this.

I should have been a little more specifc. Changing sights is a moot point in a shooting case. But any internal modifications will be used againts you and your character. Things such as lightening triggers, polishing internals, disabling mag disconnects or any safties, or removing internal locks is a big no no. The first thing prosecution does is send your firearm to a forensics lab to see what modifications were done to the firearm. They will try to make you look like the bad guy.

Nope, you will have to do your own research on this.

I should have been a little more specifc. Changing sights is a moot point in a shooting case. But any internal modifications will be used againts you and your character. Things such as lightening triggers, polishing internals, disabling mag disconnects or any safties, or removing internal locks is a big no no. The first thing prosecution does is send your firearm to a forensics lab to see what modifications were done to the firearm. They will try to make you look like the bad guy.

I've heard this a lot, and I have yet to see anything backing it up.

To answer the OP, I have tinkered with pretty much everything, and even my two go-to HD/carry guns have work done.

• Like 1