SuRrEaLNJ

IUD? any one or their wives have experience?

The wifes dr brought up IUDs for birthcontrol now that we have our second, and my online research is looking like a mixed bag. I was wondering if anyone has personal experience be it either positive or negative with either hormonal or copper IUDs.

to be honest weve been pregnant 4 times in as many years, first time on the pill, 2 miscarages, one of wich was atopic, then our 2 sons, and my wifes body cant take another pregnancy, she needs to recover for a bit. She dosnt want to get her tunes tied, wich i understand and suport, and while i had thought id get sniped after this one i dont think either of us are ready for that commitment yet,

Really, this is a gun forum not a family planning site. PLEASE!

He did put it in general discussion.  Looking down the list of topics in this section, this is also not a car, insulation, glove, cable TV forum either.  This is a community.  He's just looking for some help, there's no reason to berate him.

• Like 4

T-Bill... ummm.... you're joking, right?

OP: All birth control for women carries risks - with the pill, there's an increased chance of blood clots - with an IUD, you can get a perforation of the uterus. You can also unknowingly expel it apparently... and think you're "protected", but you're not. There's this myth that "if only women were responsible, they wouldn't get pregnant." Though responsibility is certainly a huge factor, the sad fact is... there really are NO risk-free, 100% effective options - except for total abstinence... or tubal ligation. And if she's just looking for a short, not permanent break (and not from sex, but from childbearing), then either of you getting surgery is not an option either until you feel positive that you don't want more children. 

That said, I have a doctor friend who's an ob-gyn --- and she simply can't understand why IUDs aren't far more popular (as they are in some other countries). Compliance is easier with an IUD, thus unintended pregnancy is far less likely. And if you use the copper one, I believe there's no hormone dosing either (don't quote me - check that out). Overall, I think the doc is giving good advice. It's becoming the gold standard of birth control from what I've read.

• Like 2

heh, you all jumped on that in the amount of time it took me to go and copy this   :)

General Discussion Forum. Nothing controversial, family or work unfriendly. PG13. Strictly Enforced. NO Random News Links, NO Politics

Please note, the intention of this forum is to give the users a place to discuss non gun related topics within a community of friends, on a civil level. Since people have proven time and time again that they cannot treat others with respect on an online forum, here are some rules.

The no snip thing comes because we didnt find out the sex during either pregnancy, and we were so sure that it was a girl this time we never set a boys name. i up untill that moment was gonna get sniped but we were both like well what if we want a girl at some point.

Mrs Peel, it appears you are correct with the copper and no hormone dosing. most of the complaints ive seen have had to do with the hormonal ones it seems, but ive only been reading for a few days thus far. im assuming they're less popular here for the same reason that im asking, when it was suggested we were like "um, is that safe?" im asuming theres enough apprehension about it here for one reason or another to make it less prevalent because we all mentally default to the pill as the solution, be it marketing, experience or what not.

heh, you all jumped on that in the amount of time it took me to go and copy this   :)

The no snip thing comes because we didnt find out the sex during either pregnancy, and we were so sure that it was a girl this time we never set a boys name. i up untill that moment was gonna get sniped but we were both like well what if we want a girl at some point.

Mrs Peel, it appears you are correct with the copper and no hormone dosing. most of the complaints ive seen have had to do with the hormonal ones it seems, but ive only been reading for a few days thus far. im assuming they're less popular here for the same reason that im asking, when it was suggested we were like "um, is that safe?" im asuming theres enough apprehension about it here for one reason or another to make it less prevalent because we all mentally default to the pill as the solution, be it marketing, experience or what not.

They are less popular here because of the dalcon shield. It was the three mile island of IUDs. 

• Like 1

Like others have said, get it snipped. My wife tried an IUD, hormonal. The hormonal one is 10 times worse than PMS, and it's always on, you better hide all your guns if she gets a hormonal. Copper is not as effective from what I heard. I got sniped about 4 years ago, haven't regretted it ever since. And here is the good news, insurance will pay for it. 

Snip it, man.  It's reversible..  They just use staples now.

No, you have to assume its permanent. The safest way is cut, tie and cauterize. If the dick doc goes in trying to make it temporary the risk of accidental pregnancy goes up. And I've hear tales of people who have had accidents post-snip.

My wife had an IUD. It was uncomfortable for her and made her gain weight. She had it taken off eventually because it was too uncomfortable and I could actually feel it when having intercourse.

No buddy like a bragger... :no: 

• Like 1

My wife had an IUD. It was uncomfortable for her and made her gain weight. She had it taken off eventually because it was too uncomfortable and I could actually feel it when having intercourse.

Lexington Steele is that you?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

• Like 1