Zeke

Real or fake tree

19 hours ago, Displaced Texan said:

Artificial for us. While I really like the scent of a real tree, I don’t like the mess. 

62A6295E-5D1B-429C-8E09-6B2310842A60.jpeg

My parents have had fake tree last few years and Mom really misses the smell of the fresh tree. She found these and hides them in the center of the fake tree. They are actually really close to the smell of fresh pine. 

https://www.target.com/p/scentsicles-6pk-o-christmas-tree-scented-ornaments/-/A-52608882

4 minutes ago, Mrs.Zeke said:

My parents have had fake tree last few years and Mom really misses the smell of the fresh tree. She found these and hides them in the center of the fake tree. They are actually really close to the smell of fresh pine.

The only thing that smells as good as real pine is real pine.  I've had both fake and real trees.  Some of the artificial trees are very realistic now, not like the ones made of pipe cleaners when I was a kid.  I prefer real but for various reasons we have been going with a fake table top tree lately.

For that genuine pine scent, this is what I do.  Go to the local fire/first aid tree stand and ask for cuttings  If you know how to identify a Balsam fir, grab as much of that as you can, otherwise, just get whatever.  Trimmed tree boughs are a pita, they are basically garbage and they will let you take as many as you like.  They always offer them to me for free (garbage, remember) but I always throw them a $20.  When you get home, cut up the boughs into 12" lengths and stuff them into some old pillow cases.  Twist the top and tie it off.  Place the pillow cases anywhere you like, behind the tree and under the couch is where I put them.

All the real pine scent goodness with zero cleanup.

• Like 2

As much of a pain it is, real is the way to go. North Carolina Fraser Fir soft needles with a tinge of blue. We usually go though every tree they have to find the right one. Most of the time it is one of the first ones we see, but we can't not pull out each tree and check it to make sure it is straight, has the ideal triangular shape, and is full all around (no dead spots). We usually spend an hour finding each year's tree, but it is tradition, and I am happy to still be able to spend the time with my Dad.

Dad usually buys a small potted tree. He decorates it outside and then plants it when Christmas Season is over. Inside my parents put up 2 fake trees. My mother has enough Hallmark ornaments to fill a dozen trees. We are catching up quick. We have always put up a small fake tree for the kids to decorate. This year I may put up a full size fake tree as well, but there must be at least one real tree.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

51 minutes ago, voyager9 said:

We always go real. Kinda required when you work on a Christmas tree farm.  We’ve done Norway’s and Frazier’s. Recently done Concolor fur because they have a cirtrus smell and last a long time as long as you keep them watered. 

We always get frazier fir, love the citrus smell. 

32 minutes ago, Mrs.Zeke said:

We always get frazier fir, love the citrus smell. 

Hello.  Fraziers have no smell. Citrus smell.  Is either douglas.  Lemon smell.  Or concolor.  Tangerine orange smell. 

Anyway.  Its been stoopid busy with tree sales.  I dont think i can get enough to make me through this season. 

• Like 1

Some of the wholesalers went up 10$ for a 8' frazier.   So dont be suprised if theyre asking 90$ for 8' pa frazier.   Next year will be worse.  I grow canaan and black hills spruce and norways   Great trees for our area.  

Just now, Golf battery said:

My cut your owns 6'-8' were wiped out last year.  All i got left in the field are 10-12' trees.   Yes.  There is a shortage of 7-8' trees. 

Many years ago I sold trees.  One year I went through 3500 trees, at just one stand.  The last shipment, I don't know where they came from, the trees ranged from 10', the smallest, to probably 16'.  I swear, they were treetops from a logging company.  Anyway, we made a lot of 7'-8' trees out of them.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Scorpio64 said:

Many years ago I sold trees.  One year I went through 3500 trees, at just one stand.  The last shipment, I don't know where they came from, the trees ranged from 10', the smallest, to probably 16'.  I swear, they were treetops from a logging company.  Anyway, we made a lot of 7'-8' trees out of them.

Holy poop.  Thats bad ass.  Aint no where near that.  Things have changed alot since then.