Jag07

How do you lock up your handgun?

I'm curious is to how everyone keeps their handguns locked away or at least safe from theft and more importantly tiny hands.

I'm going to hopefully in the near future be purchasing my first handgun. Still waiting on the local pd to give me the darn license. Not like they are missing any part of it. So I wanted to see about how to keep my gun safe. It may not allow me to use it as home defense but with my dogs as an early warning device maybe ill be able to open it. So I guess that means something that is digital because if I remember high school well enough being in a rush with a dial style lock will equal frustration.

Look forward to everyone's different styles of storage and opinions.

Safe for most.....

I also have two of these.....

http://www.fas1safe.com/main.sc

one next to bed

one in tv room where I hang at night

I looked at these a little. They would end up being my main storage since I'll only have one gun. How do you find the ease of access and overall safety of the case from drops and pry bars? Not that I expect you to have tried those but curious if you know.

None of the lockbox/speed vaults are going to be theft proof.  The perp can just rip the box off your night stand and break into it later. 

They are very good against tiny hands and the fast access is great.

The electronic locks have a delay and can lock you out if you enter the wrong combo too many times.  I recommend the button style that 67gtonut posted.  You can reset it very quickly and it's pretty reliable.

That being said, a quality safe if your best defense against theft.

I looked at these a little. They would end up being my main storage since I'll only have one gun. How do you find the ease of access and overall safety of the case from drops and pry bars? Not that I expect you to have tried those but curious if you know.

Like above stated...... can be ripped off and broken into later. But these safes are thick, they are not breaking into them right there in your house without some heavy duty prybars.... 

As far as Fast Access....... I have yet to find one to compare.... in less then 2sec the pistol is "presented" to you in a "ready' position.......

I thought Lox was sumthin' you put on a bagel.....

No tiny hands, so where ever I want in ready-to-go condition.  And at certain times, in a holster on my side or even "Mexican Carry", lol!

Before we had tiny hands: in my underwear drawer, mag next to the gun.

Now that we have little hands:  trigger lock at first - cheap but terrible if you need it quick. 

I eventually bought a $30 digital safe on sale.  It's not theft proof but will keep the kids out, I added hand cut foam to keep a handgun in place.   The mag is stored outside the firearm but I like a belt with suspenders so stuck a piece of 3/8 steel in the muzzle end of the box.   This was a much cheaper option than the "real" quick entry gun safes you can find and it can be opened just as fast.  It sits on my dresser 5' from my bed.

Other handguns trigger locked in pelican (and other brands) cases.

Speed vault and barska biometric are really good options... Guys this is a nice informative thread but please don't give exact details on were you have your safe or weapon, stealth is key if you want to keep your stuff out of bad guys hands...

Speed vault and barska biometric are really good options... Guys this is a nice informative thread but please don't give exact details on were you have your safe or weapon, stealth is key if you want to keep your stuff out of bad guys hands...

#opsec

theyd have to go through a world of shit to get anything out of my home. The only thing they'll  probably take with them are bullet fragments :D /chest puffing lol

for clarification, I employ multiple levels of theft deterrent practices... a safe is a good start but pales in comparison to protect your home from would be intruders.