AVB-AMG

Facebook & Twitter: Do you use either? Still?

This is a topic that was addressed in NJGF about 4-5 years ago and I thought it might be interesting to revisit the topic and get an update. I am old enough to have experienced the growth and evolution of personal computers, cell phones, email, the internet, smart phones, social media, texting, etc., to have now reached a point to ask: How much immediate accessibility in a large forum is sufficient and how much is overload? I enjoy the many benefits of social media, but consciously decided about 12+ years ago that I would draw the line at NOT subscribing and participating in either Facebook or Twitter . As far as I am concerned, I have no regrets and still believe that it was the right choice for me.

For those over the age of 50, remember how much a novelty it was to have a cell phone, then how CompuServe, Prodigy and America Online (AOL), opened up access to the new world of the internet to the public. It is probably too early in the ongoing evolution of social media to really know if Facebook and Twitter are fads or if their business model will tire and their growth will have already peaked and their membership, or more importantly, participation, will continue to decline.

I was always concerned that Facebook would be an invasion of my privacy, where the company will profit from selling all of my personal information and preferences to merchants and advertisers, causing me to be inundated with unsolicited ads. As a WSJ Op. Ed. writer implied a couple of years ago: “If you are not paying for a product, then you are not the customer, you are the product….” Facebook and Twitter are very sophisticated data mining marketing tools, allowing these companies to profit off of the participants by harvesting massive amounts of personal information about you, your interests, etc., with you essentially being passively willing to provide this information. We are starting to get survey data that internet advertising has not been very effective and that there is backlash against the advertisers for the constant annoying, “in your face”, white noise of all these ads, banners or pop-ups.

As far as Twitter is concerned, who has the time to obsessively write what you are doing all the time or really cares to see photos of the meal you are about to eat? I doubt anyone would be interested in my everyday activities and I would be concerned if they did. From what I can gather, Twitter users that regularly post are either selling/promoting a product or story, or are very self-involved people that like to hear themselves speak. It's a promotional tool for companies, sports personalities and celebrities, many who have gotten themselves in hot water and suffered the consequences of tweeting stupid statements.

To think that people outside of our immediate family and friends cares about the minutia of our life and wants to read posts or see photos that we upload to social media, can become quite pretentious and conceited. Having seen some people’s pontificating neurotically or self-importantly about some trivial issues on a co-workers Facebook feed on his smartphone, makes me just roll my eyes. The constant overt or subliminal message of “hey look at me” or “pay attention to me” becomes an annoying and pathetic cry or shouting that may ultimately have the opposite effect of one’s intention and just adding to the chaotic din of chatter overload.

I never bought into the argument that it was an ideal way to keep in touch with friends and family. They continue to reach out to me either face-to-face, (the best way!), or via telephone calls, email or text messages. Also, I read multiple newspapers online and watch a couple of selected news programs on a daily basis to get my news about current events, so do not look to Facebook or Twitter for this purpose.

To be objective, being an active participant/contributor on NJGF, as well as other online forums of different topics, there is a similar correlation to the addictive nature of an online dialogue on various issues, but is very much topic-specific and not really the same level of intrusiveness or distraction. I respect that other social media outlets and online platforms have very useful purposes. I accept that LinkedIn is a more professional social media platform that can assist people seeking a new job. I use Google Chrome on a daily basis as my internet search engine. I have been seduced by the immediate gratification allowed by being a member of Amazon Prime. But where do or at what point do each of us say enough is enough that we are well served by the online tools that we already have and use?

Facebook and Twitter play on basic human weaknesses and self-conscious vanity. People want to be recognized and validated and above all: “liked”. By quantifying the number of “friends, fans and follower’s”, it is an ego-boosting aphrodisiac that is very misleading and distracting from more meaningful ways to communicate. From speaking to friends and co-workers who are active on either or both Facebook and Twitter, the sense I get is that there are quite a lot of people “talking” but not many people “listening”. Is that why many participants are now choosing to close their accounts? Do others remember and also cherish the now very rare occasion of receiving an old fashion hand-written note or letter?

As I see it, one of the real problems with Facebook, Twitter and social media in general is that, for most of us, it becomes an ever increasing noise that distracts from concentrating on more important and interesting events, tasks or basic social living by addressing your immediate surroundings and participating in actual hobbies and activities with more redeeming value and benefits, psychological and/or physical.

So there it is… What do you all think today about Facebook and Twitter? Do you use it still, or like me, chose not to participate in either. Let’s hear your thoughts….

AVB-AMG

I have never used Facebook or twitter and I don't plan on using either ever. I am probably a minority for my age (32) though. I don't see the need for either, I keep in contact with the people I want to stay in contact with. 

I have never used Facebook or twitter and I don't plan on using either ever. I am probably a minority for my age (32) though. I don't see the need for either, I keep in contact with the people I want to stay in contact with.

Same here except I'm 23

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Facebunk used to use it when my daughter lived in England. Really had no other use for it then or now. Although I alos have a "ghost account" I had only to register for a class. Now I go out of my way to let any business's know that if they require a facebunk account to participate in any way, I will not be party to it.

I use both - read what I want, disregard the rest.

Sometimes go days without looking at either, sometimes it goes the other way.

I run with a fire department - lots of good content to keep one up to speed.

Lots of good gun stuff 2A, manufacturers pages, clubs and events posted on both.

Gotta use some disipline, limit your time online.

I will say, if I make 100 post to either FB or Twitter, I probably don't use as many words as the OP used to start this thread.

AVB, and others,

First and foremost thank you for starting this topic again, and for the insights.  Honestly I am impressed with how many people do not use facebook.  Twitter is understandable as it is a more niche platform.

Personally, I am on FB and Twitter, however out of the two I spend more time on Twitter and will get into why.

As far as FB, I am there because I once enjoyed it, back 14 years ago when it just came to my university and it was the range to see and find the cute girl next to you in class.  Over the years, as more and more people got on FB, it became information overload.  What was once a great place to get good info and serious discussions, turned into a place to post pictures of what you ate, how the other political party is evil, etc.

What FB does bring though is convenience, much like Tapatalk does for mobile forums.  It is one place where you have a whole bunch of stuff.  FB has further made it a deal to let folks create and organize groups.  

Let's be honest, it takes time and energy to set up a forum community from scratch, never the less the money, and quite frankly if I had to do it over again, I don't think I would be able to with a family.  Now think about your local mommy group,  etc. 

That is the facebook value proposition.  Now it did take what "meetup.com" was trying to do and really made it bigger.

The problems... well as you said, FB exists today.... as a data analytics and marketing company, which, as long as FB is still around, may grow revenues above even google. 

Why?

Quality and granularity of those analytics. 

Say you are a business owner who sells widgets.  You can go to google and subscribe to adsense, and you can tell them I want my ad to appear to people coming from this geographic area, searching for this keyword.

With Facebook, I can go and say... I want my (ad/poll) to appear to Females between the ages of 28 & 32, who live within 10 miles of 08540 zip code, who are married, with children, whose interests are (x, y, and Z) based on their (groups/pages/events), and I want that add to send them to my (fb page/group/event/poll/website).  I want to pay based on (per click/per impressions)... etc.

How does FB get that level of data?  You gave it to them of course through your profiles, the groups you join, etc.

So as a business owner, you almost need to be on facebook because you can target who you want... and well folks expect you to be on there with a least a company page.... which is why I am on FB.  The 5 mins a day I am on there are merely to update to my biz page and if anything on the NJGF page.

Twitter is a different beast, and was never really designed to be like FB.  while FB is about interaction.... Twitter is more like Screaming in the middle of the mall, hoping to get attention.  The bigger the audience, the more folks will listen, and even still, they have short attention spans.

What Twitter really is about is two things now. 

1.  Real Time search engine.

2. Video live streaming.

If you want to know what is going on.... just search on twitter.  You can see in real time what people are saying and sharing about almost any topic.  Very popular now during elections and other events, say a big match, etc.  Unlike FB, you can see everyone's updates... not just your "friends". 

The second part is Periscope and live streaming, which is the next evolution of youtube.  We will see if there will be wide adoption of this... but I am hopeful.

I am a fan of Twitter and use it myself for both personal and business purposes.  Twitter Profile and recently started posting a link to Twitter for our new topics here with search tags. NJGF Twitter Profile

As far as here... well, None of your information on the forum is ever sold or shared with anyone (except when you sign up and use the forum through tapatalk where info passes through their servers).  The only advertising here is the two banner ads for guests and regular members.  Premier members see ZERO banner ads, and will not as long as I am around.   

This is actually the big difference in overall mantra... we do not require anything more than your email address and a username to participate.  How much information you provide is up to you.  Most members here will at least share their first name, and use that basis to grow their relationships.  Your anti gun friends and family members would not be able to see where you participate, etc... ie the choice is on you how much you want to share.

This is why I never really understood posting pictures of your own guns on FB with your own name on it... for everyone to see, and FB to archive. lol.

I guess if ALL of your friends are gun owners, it is one thing.... but I do know that many of my contacts on FB or more importantly friends of my wife are more liberal, and just not worth it to me.

Ie.... I can post a picture of my child here with a gun, or my cat staring at the muzzle of a mosin... and you guys and gals would find it funny or cute.  If I post it on FB, I would have DYFS and animal rights groups on my doorstep the next day.  

Heck... we know it happens, just look at our forum member here that got national attention on a similar circumstance... or a member here who got in trouble with his school for posting pictures of himself shooting guns. 

So thank you all again for the discussion and supporting the forum going into our 8th year!

and a quick sidenote for new members....

and this is also why... certain sections of the site, such as the 1st Amendment lounge, the premier member forums and the marketplace forums are NOT accessible to search engines and archives.  The only way to see the info is if you are a member and login, either with a password to the 1a lounge, or are a premier member for the two premier member lounges.  The marketplace is only accessible to logged in members.

I use facebook to check the latest gun info on the old NJ2AS facebook page where I also post occasionally.  I don't have any facebook "friends" and have never used it to keep up with family and friends.

I use both facebook and twitter for my online business.  I sell to a mostly teen and 20 something demographic and if you're not on social media, you don't exist.  I'm in my mid 40's and I find it a chore to keep relevant on social media but it's how my customers want to interact with my company so I have to be there.

AVB, and others,

First and foremost thank you for starting this topic again, and for the insights.  Honestly I am impressed with how many people do not use facebook.  Twitter is understandable as it is a more niche platform.

Personally, I am on FB and Twitter, however out of the two I spend more time on Twitter and will get into why.

As far as FB, I am there because I once enjoyed it, back 14 years ago when it just came to my university and it was the range to see and find the cute girl next to you in class.  Over the years, as more and more people got on FB, it became information overload.  What was once a great place to get good info and serious discussions, turned into a place to post pictures of what you ate, how the other political party is evil, etc.

What FB does bring though is convenience, much like Tapatalk does for mobile forums.  It is one place where you have a whole bunch of stuff.  FB has further made it a deal to let folks create and organize groups.  

So thank you all again for the discussion and supporting the forum going into our 8th year!

Maksim:

Thank you for your well thought out and stated reasoning based on your experience, as well as the details of how NJGF differs from Facebook and Twitter.  I certainly understand and respect how you and others, (maintenanceguy), that own/run your own small businesses need to have an account and presence on Facebook and Twitter in order to be accessible and searchable to the younger generation that uses both social media platforms.

Through the various responses to this thread, it will be interesting to see what percentage of NJGF members are currently actively using Facebook and/or Twitter.

AVB-AMG

I will say, if I make 100 post to either FB or Twitter, I probably don't use as many words as the OP used to start this thread.

Nucrunner:

Ha, Ha....  touche!

That is probably another excellent reason why it is a good thing I am not on Twitter, having to limit myself to 140 characters in a post….

AVB-AMG

Never used twitter.

Used to be on FB--back when planking and Tebow-ing were in vogue (if they ever were), but I grew concerned about privacy issues AND started getting inappropriate spam.  I kind of liked that it made it easier to keep track of some people and organizations.  But I used it less and less and decided the cost-benefit of the privacy was not worth it.

If I owned a business, I would use FB and probably Twitter.  Especially with that kind of targeted advertising.

I am an EE, and a techie.  I love to play with the toys, and I was using Internet before Tim Berners-Lee invented NCSA Mosaic (remember usenet) but I just don't see the need and time commitment to be that connected with everyone.  I don't even have a smartphone and my TV comes over-the-air (or streaming).  Call me a luddite, but somehow I managed to get by for the first 30 years of life without a mobile phone at all.  I have had mobile phones since the mid-90s, but now I only have a basic phone (POTS and text) that I primarily use for work.

Facebook is like my daily humor feed... its pretty useless.

We are entering what i call the meme generation.... All of their facts come from memes.

JackDaWack:

Interesting thought...  But I am not so sure I would agree.

I wonder if Facebook and Twitter could be communication fads or the social media "fashion" of a certain period, that will eventually be relegated to the trash bin of earlier technologies, tools and devices.  Similar to the way VHS tapes were part of the evolution of recording and playing videos, until they were rendered obsolete by CD's, which in turn were superseded by streaming via a broadband connection through the internet.

I get the convenience factor of social media, but am not willing to sacrifice my privacy nor, become obsessed with constantly checking my phone to see updates and responses to postings and tweets.

Ok, OK...., to be fair and objective, many of us already do that to a certain extent here on NJGF or other blogs.  So it is a matter of how many forums are we willing to participate in with all of the associated distractions.

AVB-AMG

I thought this was an interesting take on the whole FB/Twitter censorship debate.

http://cdrsalamander.blogspot.com/2016/02/the-damming-of-free-flow-of-information.html?m=1

voyager9:

That is an interesting article.  Not being on either Facebook or Twitter, I had no idea that both seem to be succumbing to political pressures and choosing sides in the ever increasing polarized culture war in our society.  That is why I appreciate the freedom of expression and enjoy the un-censored aspect of NJGF.

AVB-AMG

JackDaWack:

Interesting thought...  But I am not so sure I would agree.

I wonder if Facebook and Twitter could be communication fads or the social media "fashion" of a certain period, that will eventually be relegated to the trash bin of earlier technologies, tools and devices.  Similar to the way VHS tapes were part of the evolution of recording and playing videos, until they were rendered obsolete by CD's, which in turn were superseded by streaming via a broadband connection through the internet.

I get the convenience factor of social media, but am not willing to sacrifice my privacy nor, become obsessed with constantly checking my phone to see updates and responses to postings and tweets.

Ok, OK...., to be fair and objective, many of us already do that to a certain extent here on NJGF or other blogs.  So it is a matter of how many forums are we willing to participate in with all of the associated distractions.

AVB-AMG

That is a great point to consider.  

Remember "MySpace"?  or the America Online portal and chat rooms?  

Where FB is different is that they are the first to truly effectively monetize their data.... however people do burn out of platforms.  In reality, FaceBook provides nothing of value in terms of search, and focuses on the instant gratification aspect.  Unlike say a car forum or whatever, where you can search and find out how to change something with the car, do maintenance, etc... and oh BTW, if you like it enough.... there is also a community there.

For instance, right now... about 45% of the forum visits are people searching for something on Google, and ending up on NJGF.

This is why media companies are formed, such as Internet Brands, that buy out any forum they can find..... they monetize their investment by plastering 20 banner ads on the site... and collect the money.  They don't care about the "community"...., because even if the community fails, they still get 80%+ traffic from people searching for something....

Was on twiter since 2009 and on Facebook since 2007. Deleted the FB account about a year ago. Also deleted my twiter account recently when the "Trust and Safety Council" was rolled out and Anita Sarkeesian was part of it. Soon thereafter, the shadowbanings, the blackballing, and the verified account status was removed from anybody that was ever critical of her.

Good riddance to both.

I'm on FaceBook. I use it lightheartedly, no dirty laundry or overly political posts. As a paramedic I interact with all the dispatchers, EMT's, police and firefighters in 2 counties; fb gives me a chance to interact with those professionals on a personal basis. It also helps me remember their names.

I was on FB about 10 years ago. Spent about 5 minutes a day on it. Then 20. Then 60. I pulled the plug and have no interest in returning.

I will never do anything to help that creep Zuckerberg. He makes his money by stealing time from billions of people every day. Think how rich you'd be if 1.5 billion people gave you three or four cents every day. In return you get to see what your sister-in-law ate the night before.

Twitter is equally obnoxious. Who gives a crap what celebrities think about stuff? I get my news from Drudge Breitbart, VDare, TakiMag, and their links.

With rare exceptions both those services are a huge waste of time.