Maksim

NYC Slashings

Another slashing...

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2016/02/26/midtown-subway-slashing/

Seriously, wth is happening in NYC?  First the knockout games... now this?

One of these slashers just needs to be shot and made an example out of.

• Like 2

All of NYC should arm themselves with knives. Or w/e is legal. Start attacking back and showing that it isn't the "weapon" that is "allowed" by NYC but the act of VIOLENCE that is the problem. Maybe then it'll sink in. No it won't but in reality. There's no fix for criminal thug ass stupid pieces of shit. Except the short end of a barrel of a gun.

Maksim:

It is just one more indication of our society's historically accepted rules of social behavior continuing to disintegrate.

Although, it is not just a New York City phenomena, but is also happening in the affluent suburbs.

Back in the early evening during the summer of 2010 in my town, two teenage boys, both local residents, were arrested for an unprovoked severe beating attack on a 47-year old man who was sitting on a bench in a vest-pocket park just off of the main street of Springfield Ave. in downtown Summit.  The boys had the audacity to film their attack using one of their cell phone's.  The victim was foreign-born and had recently finished his shift working at a local restaurant.  The man later died of his injuries.  The DA's office was considering this as a possible bias crime, but I do not know what was finally determined.

The intolerance and racist tendencies of some of our youth is becoming more prevalent in our accelerating polarized and income inequality society.  Similar attacks have occurred in other suburban towns

As far as I am concerned anyone, regardless of age, class or race, who is convicted of this type of crime should be sent to jail and receive the maximum allowable sentence.  What is even more shocking is that these two boys came from relatively well-to-do families.  Makes you question the parenting skills of their parents.  The break down of what is considered accepted actions and behavior seems to be increasing, with a continued decrease in civility and altruistic behavior towards our fellow citizens.

AVB-AMG

This is not new. NYC is the only place where you can have 40 people on a subway car and one person can beat the brains out of a victim with a hammer and nobody will do ANYTHING.

Twice.

That I know of.

I know NJ sucks, and NJ has a lot of sheep, but I have personally seen NJ people stand up and do the right thing. You won't get that in NYC.

Problem is the mental health care. Two occassions I can speak on personally. Violent EDP was menacing people with a knife. Our guys collared him and it turns out he had been released only hours earlier from Bellevue psych.

Another guy we sent on a psych eval with EMS we wound up collaring the next day for assault. These mental patients get let out and the cycle just repeats itself. They stop taking their meds and become violent. Plus with all the attention the media gives it breeds copycats.

Oh and people suck. Very few times do I see people do the right thing and help somebody else

• Like 1

All of NYC should arm themselves with knives. Or w/e is legal. Start attacking back and showing that it isn't the "weapon" that is "allowed" by NYC but the act of VIOLENCE that is the problem. Maybe then it'll sink in. No it won't but in reality. There's no fix for criminal thug ass stupid pieces of shit. Except the short end of a barrel of a gun.

Not certain but isn't it illegal to even carry a knife in NYC? Maybe a Swiss Army knife is okay. Maybe?

Maksim:

It is just one more indication of our society's historically accepted rules of social behavior continuing to disintegrate.

Although, it is not just a New York City phenomena, but is also happening in the affluent suburbs.

Back in the early evening during the summer of 2010 in my town, two teenage boys, both local residents, were arrested for an unprovoked severe beating attack on a 47-year old man who was sitting on a bench in a vest-pocket park just off of the main street of Springfield Ave. in downtown Summit.  The boys had the audacity to film their attack using one of their cell phone's.  The victim was foreign-born and had recently finished his shift working at a local restaurant.  The man later died of his injuries.  The DA's office was considering this as a possible bias crime, but I do not know what was finally determined.

The intolerance and racist tendencies of some of our youth is becoming more prevalent in our accelerating polarized and income inequality society.  Similar attacks have occurred in other suburban towns

As far as I am concerned anyone, regardless of age, class or race, who is convicted of this type of crime should be sent to jail and receive the maximum allowable sentence.  What is even more shocking is that these two boys came from relatively well-to-do families.  Makes you question the parenting skills of their parents.  The break down of what is considered accepted actions and behavior seems to be increasing, with a continued decrease in civility and altruistic behavior towards our fellow citizens.

AVB-AMG

I remember this well.  Later that year, my neighbor told me their house was broken into and they lost tens of thousands in personal property. The break-in occurred during the day, while they were working.  I work from home and realized if that had been my house, I could have been screwed.

Dramatic spike in NYC slashing attacks frighten citizens, puzzle experts

At left, surveillance photo alledgely of Dominicio Howington, suspect in slashing of man at a Greenwich Village diner. At right, a suspect later arrested and identified as Kari Bazemore was allegedly caught on video slashing a young woman in January.

The frightening wave of slashing attacks terrorizing New York since the year began has gripped both hardened city folks and tourists with fear and left experts searching for an explanation.

Through Sunday, the NYPD had recorded 567 slashing attacks, some 20 percent above the pace set in early 2015. Police and criminologists have identified no single pattern for the slashings, which have plagued the city’s subway system as well as both trendy and tough neighborhoods.

“New York has been shocked by a spate of stabbings and slashings in the subway system,” the Manhattan Institute noted in a new report. “After two decades of lower crime, New Yorkers have gotten used to safe subways, but riders are now being warned to exercise a level of caution that harks back to an earlier era.”

“You may simply have a copycat effect.”

- John Lott, Crime Prevention Research Center.

Twelve people have died in stabbings or slashings in the nation's largest city to date in 2016, but most of the slashings have been random attacks that have left victims with facial cuts.

Late Tuesday night and into Wednesday morning, police said three slashing attacks happened around the city. A homeless man was arrested in a Brooklyn attack that caused minor injuries to a victim, while an unsolved attack in the Bronx left a man with cuts to the face, police said.

In another Brooklyn slashing early Wednesday, an 18-year-old man was slashed by two people. After a woman distracted him, the man attacked him from behind. He was in stable condition.

Some of the attacks have been accompanied by racial epithets, including ones allegedly committed by career criminal Kari Bazemore. He was arrested after allegedly slashing a woman on her way to work at Whole Foods and has since been linked to several prior attacks dating back to September.

NYPD Commissioner William Bratton has downplayed the attacks, maintaining the city is “safer than ever.” While that claim is borne out by some figures, the puzzling rise in slashing attacks – now averaging roughly 10 per day, defies explanation.

Police officials do not believe the blade attacks are a grim trend similar to the the so-called "knockout game, but acknowledge that the threat of random violence at tourist attractions and in the close quarters of subway cars is troubling.

“New Yorkers have a right to be alarmed or concerned, particularly those riding the subways,” Bratton said in a recent interview, adding that there is “no indication this was a pattern.”

Attackers have wielded every type of blade -- from boxcutter to machete -- and victims range from a 71-year-old woman commuting to work who was slashed across the cheek with a razor to a tourist who needed 150 stitches after being slashed across the face.

Given that other metropolitan areas around the country have seen no major increase in slashing attacks, several experts believe New York is in the throes of a bloody copycat phenomenon.

“It’s possible criminals just realized that it was easier to commit crimes on the subways than they had previously realized,” said John Lott, president of the Crime Prevention Research Center. “You may simply have a copycat effect.”

Last month, Bratton and top aides took a publicized ride on the subway and then ventured into the Times Square station where three recent slashings had occurred. Bratton proclaimed the subway system “very safe,” but drew immediate criticism for conducting his tour with armed police officers in tow.

The NYPD also launched a campaign to rouse slumbering subway riders, because at least 50 percent of all reported crimes on the subway have targeted sleeping passengers. But so far, none of the measures have stemmed the tide of slashings.

The rise may have begun before the New Year began. Tony Award-winning playwright David Henry Hwang, who authored “M. Butterfly,” was slashed last November as he carried his groceries through his Brooklyn neighborhood. His attacker remains at large, and although Hwang has recovered, his sense of safety in the city has not.

"I like to think that, as a New Yorker, I'm fairly aware -- conscious of people around me," Hwang told the London Telegraph. "But this happened on a dark corner of my block. This was a random attack, and the number of recent random attacks surprises me. Is this a new phenomenon?"

Gun rights activists say the solution is to allow New Yorkers to protect themselves with firearms.

“Random violence is up all across the country, but in New York City, where gun control is overly restrictive, it is an epidemic with sharp blades,” said Alan Gottlieb, president of the Second Amendment Foundation. “This is proof positive that demonizing guns does not solve the problem of violence. I bet some of those victims wish that they had a gun for self-defense.”

I expected as much. Discretion is about how hard your ass is kissed, not about the person or if they know they are doing something wrong

not true. But I would expect nothing less than this bs from you. You can try to cut someone a break but they have some predisposition to being an asshole ( I assume you would understand that) and talk their way into trouble when they most likely would have just walked with a warning
  • Like 2

NYC mayor says slashing spike due to gun control, as critics blame passive policing http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/03/14/nyc-mayor-says-slashing-spike-due-to-gun-control-as-critics-blame-passive-policing.html

If boggles my mind how people like this get elected and how we very few true leaders in politics. If any

I expected as much. Discretion is about how hard your ass is kissed, not about the person or if they know they are doing something wrong.

Nothing to do with ass kissing. It's about one of the oldest tenets of using discretion in policing:

The three "Es" of policing

1) engineering/environment

2) education

3) enforcement

If you can't solve the problem with engineering or manipulating the environment, and the individual refuses to be educated, then enforcement is what remains. And yes, being an asshole*, not taking the infraction seriously, not taking responsibility, etc... Demonstrates that the individual is resistant to being educated and needs an opportunity to see a judge.

*Note, being angry or unhappy is not the same as being an asshole.

Nothing to do with ass kissing. It's about one of the oldest tenets of using discretion in policing:

The three "Es" of policing

1) engineering/environment

2) education

3) enforcement

If you can't solve the problem with engineering or manipulating the environment, and the individual refuses to be educated, then enforcement is what remains. And yes, being an asshole*, not taking the infraction seriously, not taking responsibility, etc... Demonstrates that the individual is resistant to being educated and needs an opportunity to see a judge.

*Note, being angry or unhappy is not the same as being an asshole.

I don't think Blue Line can spell all of that, but it does bring up an interesting question. If you catch me with a handgun in Jersey, and you know it's me, will it be education, or enforcement? (5 to 10 years in jail)

I will add that I have stepped in on a police situation (not to mention many that were faster) to help a cop I thought was being attacked and Blue Line said he would never want me to help him if he found himself screwed. This is what we have to deal with.

Thats a good question and I hope we never find out. There is the spirit of the law and letter of the law - sometimes they don't exactly see eye to eye. Also, not every circumstance has discretion as an option.

Each situation is unique and each situation will dictate what happens guided by SOP, laws, and general orders. Often times common sense is directly contra-indicated by the guidance they provide, but they are what they are - and if you follow them in good faith you can not get in trouble.

Unfortunately these interactions don't happen in a vacuum. When you give a break you are often opening yourself up to serious career implications. Prosecutors, administrators, supervisors, other officers, the bleeding heart lawyers that demand every person be treated equally (regardless of the fact that the situations they are caught up in are different) etc... Are either present or involved to some degree. Car cameras, body cameras, microphones, Taser Cams, etc... and all the devices meant to hold Cops accountable for their actions also play a very large role in limiting/eliminating discretion.

Then you have the general public bystanders that decide to get involved usually putting their noses where they don't belong and filming it all on their smart phones. Finally there are the people you exercise your discretion with in an effort to do what's right, and they turn around and try to screw you.

On the street, you sometimes need to do the math to see if the juice is worth the squeeze. The liability if you make a mistake can be huge and, like it or not, that places an element of selfishness into the equation. After all, you didn't make this person break the law - you just caught them.

• Like 1

Police and criminologists have identified no single pattern for the slashings...snip...Some of the attacks have been accompanied by racial epithets,

Seems to me it's obvious.  White people are attacking black people because only white people can be racists.  Everywhere you go, white people are hurling racial epithets out of trucks or hanging nooses on office doors or trees, attacking black women on buses, etc.  It's an epidemic. 

I am not sure how stop and frisk gets get rid of beggars and quality of life offenses as much as being told not to enforce and turn a blind eye to these activities does. It's that old saying "give them an inch and they take a mile." Tolerance is directly leading to abuse of the system. This current Mayor is a total douchebag.

Stop and Frisk was just part of what was changed.  Pan Handlers, the homeless and people loitering around with potentially bad intentions are just left alone now instead of moved along, questioned or gotten some help.   I see the change from a few years ago.  They know they can do whatever they want without the threat of a LEO bugging them. At least not as much as in the past. As a result, you tend to see more pan handlers, homeless and sketchy people meandering around.  "You can't victimize these people more than they already have been!"  ...says the Stalinist Mayor.

Anything goes.... unless you want a CCW permit.

This on the other side of the country but related to where this conversation is going.

I'm not very keen on" stop and frisk". I'm not sure it holds up to constitutional scrutiny

Police blame sentencing overhaul for increase in California crime http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2016/03/15/police-blame-sentencing-overhaul-for-increase-in-california-crime.html