1. 1. How many safe queens do you have?

• Under 10%
    • 10 to 25%
    • 25% to 50%
    • 50% to 75%
    • 75% to 90%
    • Over 90%
  2. 2. What kind of Safe Queens?

• Tactical Tupperwear (Glocks, XD's, M&P's)
    • Wheel Guns Gallore (Colts, Smith Wessons, Rugers)
    • Stuff older than you are (Mil Surplus, C&R, Antiques)
    • Modern Bolt Guns & Muzzle Loaders
    • Shotguns (and some that cost more than your car)
    • Black Rifles for the Zombies (AR's, AK's)
    • N/A

We were discussing in chat tonight, just how many guns we buy, and then end up being safe queens. You know, they may get 500 rounds through them in their lifetime.

Obviously we don't buy a gun and intend on not shooting it, ok, not collectibles. Tactical Tupperwear sitting in the corner of the safe unfired is not a collectible... collecting dust perhaps. :rofl:

So....

What safe queens do you have, and what percentage of your total gun collection/portfolio do they represent.

I barely have any safe queens. Everything in my collection gets shot regularly, and if it doesn't get shot, then it is sold and then replaced with something that will get shot more often. I hate having guns sitting around that do not get shot.

If anything, I have two shotguns that are pretty old and I like to keep them in mint condition. So they are brought out to shoot clays a couple times a year.

I have been known to completely build a gun.. function check it with a mag or two.. and then say eh.. and sell it days later.. LOL

if I am not going to shoot it.. and shoot it religiously.. out it goes.. as someone said in chat.. I can't afford safe queens.. LOL

My 30-06 hunting rifle is my safe queen... Bought it new several years ago for an out-of-state deer hunting trip, and the trip got canceled... So it's been shot a few times to sight it in and for some target practice, and that's it. It still looks like brand new after 17 years.

My hunting shotguns only come out of the safe a few times a year for hunting... But they probably would not be technically considered safe queens, as I look at them as tools that get used as needed. My pistols I shoot pretty regularly for recreation at the range.

so far I have 1(colt combat commander circa 1973), and the only reason it's a safe queen is because I listened to RayRay. He shot my gun, told me it's a beauty, and clean and keep it in the safe after the session. That's what I get for being friends with him. :p

I have 2 that I can think of. One is a bringback 1939 Sauer K98 with papers that was given to me on the day I enlisted in the military by the vet that brought it home. It is 100% matching down to the firing pin and locking screws on the trigger guard. Heck I wont even clean it up too much because it had pine needles sticking out of the handguard and a little mud on the stock. This gun is exactly how he brought it home, dirt and all. I shoot it about once a year and the gun is amazing, but I would be heartbroken if I were to shoot it and have something happen. So I went and got a nice Russian capture and when I feel like shooting a K98 I bring the RC out.

Then I have the first M1D I got from the CMP. The gun is 100% mint and when I brought it up to the counter at the CMP, the armorer looked it over and he just kept saying WOW. He assured me the gun wasn't issued since being converted and it had the lowest barrel wear he has seen on a D. He said he would put some money on it that it just sat in an armory never getting used. I put an unissued M84 scope on it and all the accessories are new. This one just got sighted in and sits in the safe. So I had to go to the CMP and pick up another D which I purposely got one that looks used. Now I have the "Shooter D" and the "safe queen D" When I feel like shooting a M1D I grab the shooter and the safe queen stays in the safe.

My safe queen is my Mossberg 9200. I've put perhaps 50 rounds through it. It's original barrel is a for Sabot Slugs and the 18 inch barrel I have for it is for HD. Neither gets much use.

I sold the Wingmaster and the Savage that I haven't shot in over 20 years.

I get most of my guns out a couple times a year. What I bring depends on mood and reason for going to the range. The only guns I have that I haven't ever shot (true safe queens) are my Arisakas. I am restoring them and the ammo is very pricey.

I dont own enough for any safe queens I guess. They only one I 'MAY' consider a safe queen is the Moss500 but its not in the safe and will be a HD weapon if need be.

Both pistols (full size and sub-compact) get fired regularly as well as the .22 rifle.

My biggest safe queen, (acutally wall queen) Is my Nobel model 20-a. Its a neat gun but annoying to load and unfortunatly no longer ejects. I've put about 20 rounds though it since i inherited it and always planned on taking it to a smith to see what he can do for the ejector but there's always more important things to do.

Second biggest is my Higgins model 41. Probably have put 100 rounds though it in 2-3 years. Very neat gun and in wonderful functioning condition but its just a hassle to use a single shot. It has come in handy when friends have given me old crappy remington ammo they dont want to shoot in their auto's though becuase it jams. The only annoying issue with this gun is the factory iron sights are misaligned. Wanting to get it to a smith for that but again always something more pressing.

The H.C. Higgins the the lighter stock with the stainless bolt

nobelandhiggins.jpg

My other semi-safe queen is my single shot sears 12ga. Its a very very mean gun to one's shoulder but does a good job of killing pumpkins and grouping shot tighter then any other shotgun ive ever fired.

I cast my vote, but 500 is pretty arbitrary. For example my lever gun gets shot usually once a year. It'll take me FOREVER to get to 500 rounds. But it isn't forgotten about in the safe. Same goes for my bolt action, although it got an intial burst of enthusiasm. My pocket gun gets out to the pocket gun match, but it will take a while to get to 500 despite the fact it gets taken out and shot. My Desert eagle has had way more than 500 rounds through it, but barely gets shot any more. SOme are retired safe queens, but have thousands and thousands of rounds through them.

Generally, I shoot everything I own. I have a few rifles that are safe queens, one is a matching bnz45 k98, and also a S/42 Luger. I don't mind not shooting them as I have others k98 that I enjoy. I also have a G43 that I have yet to shoot, but I want to wait until I purchase the shooter kit for it. This is also a matching rifle, but the vet sanded and varnished the stock.

I purchased a Colt CR6724 when it was first introduced. I remember when I bought it Colt had a special offer running that if you purchased one, they'd send you a free Colt embroidered jacket. Of course, I wanted the jacket too. The rifle sat around for years, unused. I guess I was busy with other stuff. I took it out in 2003, mounted a scope temporarily and fired some nice groups with it and then put it away. I've never used it since. Someday I will get around to it. I still wear the jacket every fall and spring. It still looks great and hasn't gone out of style. :icon_e_biggrin:

• Like 1