Scorpio64

Clay Shoot Clinton WMA ** CANCELED **

Sunday, Sunday, Sunday, December 10th

Clinton WMA Shotgun range

12-10-23

There will be a pumpkin carving contest.

Howdy folks.  It's about time we get together to turn some money into noise.  Come join us at the Clinton WMA shotgun range for a morning of clay busting fun. 

If you will be joining the fun, please let us know how many will attend and what you are bringing so we can plan for supplies.

Clay Pigeon GIFs - Find & Share on GIPHY

Shooting commences at 0900 and keeps going until we get bored, run out of ammo, or hear mom calling us home.    Shoots usually go until about 1300, leaving plenty of time for everyone to stop in at any time and join the party.

As always, these clay shoots are informal gatherings, just plain old fun to promote clay sports and encourage training, please feel free to bring friends and family.  Shooters of all experience are welcome, if you have never shot clays before, or want some tips on improving your skills, this is your chance to dust off that shotgun you have sitting in a dark corner of a closet, and gain some needed experience.

What you will need.

Bring your shotgun(s), as much #7.5 or #8 lead target/field loads as you want to shoot, and depending on how much you want to shoot, a carton of clay pigeons would be great.  Targets are usually available at Walmart in Clinton, Flemington, and Phillipsburg.  Don't forget eyes and ears.  Also recommended is a chair, sun screen, insect repellent, and something to drink.  There is a port-a-potty on site

If you don't have a shotgun and just want to see what clay shoot'n is all about, a loaner pump action will be available.

Basic Checklist

• Shotgun
  • Ammo
  • Eye and ear protection (mandatory)
  • Clay targets (optional but recommended for volume shooters)
  • Shell pouch (optional)
  • Folding chair (optional)
  • Water or whatever

Clinton WMA Shotgun Range
26 New Jersey 173
Hampton, NJ 08827
2sdODG7.jpg

Attending:
1.  Scorpio +2, (thrower clays and a loaner 12ga shotgun)
2.  High Exposure
3. Air Traffic Controller
5. @gleninjersey 
6. @Iron_Sight ?
7. rschmidty6
8. Sudsy
9. H2oVento
10. brucin
11. Mr. Stu
12. Sota
13. Dirty D
14. KC17
15. Lawnmower2021
16.Malice4you
17.ChefLife15
18.ChrisJM981
19. Tunaman

Direct marketing to the usual suspects.

@Sudsy @unionm0ney @danw77 @DirtyDigz @gleninjersey @Mr.Stu @Fzaetz @Damjan @NJSigfan @brucin @Lawnmower2021 @Bklynracer @CMJeepster @ChrisJM981 @H2oVento @10X @Smokin .50 @Tunaman @Malice4you @GRIZ @eyeinstine @Bighungry618 @kc17 @RUTGERS95 @Cheflife15 @JeepGunner @AJ214 @Sota @Air Traffic Controller @Mrs. Peel @Kn1089 @Redeye65 @rschmidty6 @Ms. 12 Gauge

• Like 4
  • Informative 1

Woohoo!!!  I am in!!!!  Thanks @Scorpio64!!!  I have been waiting for a shoot and look forward to seeing everyone!!!!  I will grab clays.  I might have 1 or 2 extra people (newbies), I will know more in a few days and let ya know.

Wish you could join too @Displaced Texan  It will be nice to meet when we finally do.

@High Exposure - you can do it  :-)

Thanks for calling it - I've been so busy I haven't had time and I really still can't commit on that date - got a big work project the Friday before.  Hopefully it goes smoothly and I will be able to attend.

Put me down as a maybe + thrower + hunting lic.

19 hours ago, Scorpio64 said:

Sunday, Sunday, Sunday, December 3rd

Clinton WMA Shotgun range

12-03-23

There will be a pumpkin carving contest.

Howdy folks.  It's about time we get together to turn some money into noise.  Come join us at the Clinton WMA shotgun range for a morning of clay busting fun. 

If you will be joining the fun, please let us know how many will attend and what you are bringing so we can plan for supplies.

Clay Pigeon GIFs - Find & Share on GIPHY

Shooting commences at 0900 and keeps going until we get bored, run out of ammo, or hear mom calling us home.    Shoots usually go until about 1300, leaving plenty of time for everyone to stop in at any time and join the party.

As always, these clay shoots are informal gatherings, just plain old fun to promote clay sports and encourage training, please feel free to bring friends and family.  Shooters of all experience are welcome, if you have never shot clays before, or want some tips on improving your skills, this is your chance to dust off that shotgun you have sitting in a dark corner of a closet, and gain some needed experience.

What you will need.

Bring your shotgun(s), as much #7.5 or #8 lead target/field loads as you want to shoot, and depending on how much you want to shoot, a carton of clay pigeons would be great.  Targets are usually available at Walmart in Clinton, Flemington, and Phillipsburg.  Don't forget eyes and ears.  Also recommended is a chair, sun screen, insect repellent, and something to drink.  There is a port-a-potty on site

If you don't have a shotgun and just want to see what clay shoot'n is all about, a loaner pump action will be available.

Basic Checklist

• Shotgun
  • Ammo
  • Eye and ear protection (mandatory)
  • Clay targets (optional but recommended for volume shooters)
  • Shell pouch (optional)
  • Folding chair (optional)
  • Water or whatever

Clinton WMA Shotgun Range
26 New Jersey 173
Hampton, NJ 08827
2sdODG7.jpg

Attending:
1.  Scorpio +2, (thrower clays and a loaner 12ga shotgun)
2.  High Exposure (definite maybe)
3. Air Traffic Controller
5. @gleninjersey 
6. @Iron_Sight ?
7. rschmidty6
8. Sudsy

Direct marketing to the usual suspects.

@Sudsy @unionm0ney @danw77 @DirtyDigz @gleninjersey @Mr.Stu @Fzaetz @Damjan @NJSigfan @brucin @Lawnmower2021 @Bklynracer @CMJeepster @ChrisJM981 @H2oVento @10X @Smokin .50 @Tunaman @Malice4you @GRIZ @eyeinstine @Bighungry618 @kc17 @RUTGERS95 @Cheflife15 @JeepGunner @AJ214 @Sota @Air Traffic Controller @Mrs. Peel @Kn1089 @Redeye65 @rschmidty6 @Ms. 12 Gauge

THANK YOU for tagging me. Do I need a 12ga or can I bring my 20ga?  I just checked with the wife. We are not doing anything that day. I am good to go. Also what is a good price for clays... I found this online. Can't be $9.00 for 90 clays can it? https://www.dickssportinggoods.com/p/champion-standard-clay-targets-90-count-17ctguchmpn90ctcltgs/17ctguchmpn90ctcltgs

57 minutes ago, H2oVento said:

Do I need a 12ga or can I bring my 20ga? 

12, 20, 16, 410, whatevah you want to bring, lotsa folks shoot 20's and do pretty damned good too.   The only rule is shot size, has to be #7.5 or #8. 

1 hour ago, H2oVento said:

Also what is a good price for clays... I found this online. Can't be $9.00

That's actually a great price.  I've been paying about $20-22 per 135 ct crate of White Flyer AAs.

"If you will be joining the fun, please let us know how many will attend and what you are bringing so we can plan for supplies."

I am coming, I am trying to bring a friend (who also has never done this) I will deff bring my 20ga and maybe the 12ga ( I don't want to shoot that one all day. It gets pain full after 50 rds). So anyone is welcome to use the other one I am not using. I case of Clays. A Chair and some water. 

If anyone has any other suggestions LMK. My 1st time

I'm down as a most likely. The fair Cindy is getting her 2nd cataract surgery on Fri 12/1 and being the most understanding and best wife ever she has said I can leave her home alone for a few hours as long as there's no hiccups in the surgery. 1st one went flawless.

I will give a definite in the evening of 12/1.

I will bring thrower, hunting license, 20 gauges, and the SxS .410 for the recoil squeamish.

7 minutes ago, High Exposure said:

There may be a secret attendee…. :assassin:

shush goddamnit! it's supposed to be a SECRET! :D

3 hours ago, H2oVento said:

"If you will be joining the fun, please let us know how many will attend and what you are bringing so we can plan for supplies."

I am coming, I am trying to bring a friend (who also has never done this) I will deff bring my 20ga and maybe the 12ga ( I don't want to shoot that one all day. It gets pain full after 50 rds). So anyone is welcome to use the other one I am not using. I case of Clays. A Chair and some water. 

If anyone has any other suggestions LMK. My 1st time

donut holes and coffee or hot chocolate is always welcome. :) 

6 hours ago, Scorpio64 said:

12, 20, 16, 410, whatevah you want to bring, lotsa folks shoot 20's and do pretty damned good too.   The only rule is shot size, has to be #7.5 or #8. 

WMA regulation says "Fine shot" - and the NJ Shotgun hunting guide says up to #4  for Turkey hunting.  

Pretty much anything goes besides buckshot - though why waste any good shot at the range unless you're practicing or patterning.

image.png

You know what... I'll do it! It's been way too long!

I'll bring my own 26" barrel 12g and target loads. May get some clays on the way if I can.

Stupid question: Are shorter barrel shotguns a waste of time? I'm honestly curious to see how my KSG or Saiga12 would fare. :B:)::D

10 minutes ago, Lawnmower2021 said:

You know what... I'll do it! It's been way too long!

I'll bring my own 26" barrel 12g and target loads. May get some clays on the way if I can.

Stupid question: Are shorter barrel shotguns a waste of time? I'm honestly curious to see how my KSG or Saiga12 would fare. :B:)::D

Last time I went, someone (I can’t remember who) brought a Shockwave and was making regular hits. 

High Exposure brought a red dot equipped shotgun…that was like cheating! 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Lawnmower2021 said:

Are shorter barrel shotguns a waste of time?

For busting clays, yes and no.  Nobody is winning any trap shoots with a Shockwave, but man I do have fun trying to bust a few with mine.  It's not a bad idea to try and hit a few clays with whatever shotgun one intends to use for HD.  It's good fun practice.  My My 18" taktikalized 870 does not "dust" clays but it consistently breaks clays because the reflex site makes targeting stupid easy.  I like to let new shooters use the 870 because it's a confidence booster and the red dot also helps noobs understand target tracking.

A shorter barrel will reduce velocity somewhat but if you use the right chokes, you can still do very well.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Krdshrk said:

WMA regulation says "Fine shot"

Yanno, you are right.  I'm so used to regulation trap that I keep forgetting WMAs are hunter training areas.  Even so, I dunno who would want to spend a morning shooting full house #6, that'd be expensive and painful.

• Like 2